Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another SUV 3rd row thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 11:42 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another SUV 3rd row thread

I decided to start my own thread and not highjack the other thread since we have different criterias. So i'm looking for a suv with a functional third row.

These are the vehicles im considering.
Honda Pilot-most space, poor brakes and under powered for size
Mazda CX-9- good power not as big as pilot
GMC Acadia-plenty of space, reliability is suspect
New 4runner-i might consider but 3rd row specs are not much bigger then highlander and its already cramped in the highlander.

Which one would you guys choose? Pilot vs CX-9 vs Acadia vs new 4runner?
Old 09-24-09, 12:03 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will you be offroading? If not I'd say CX-9 (my niece has one, very nice). Even better, an Odyssey or Sienna.
Old 09-24-09, 12:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GMC Arcadia has a great rear seat entertainment package & plenty of room for people & gear.. Check it out in person.
Old 09-24-09, 12:11 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

My wife and I x-shopped between the CX9, Highlander and Pilot. The Pilot offered what we were looking for.
Old 09-24-09, 12:20 PM
Milla...

I personally wouldn't choose any of them (hey you asked). Anywho for you I'd say take your wife and go spend time in each, test drive etc. I think then you'll both know which one to go with..No really, its all about the feel, sitting in them, driving them, climb in the back and test the third row type stuff.
Old 09-24-09, 12:24 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

My friends have pilot and my in-law the cx-9. Both have good things to say about them. I say go with the CX-9, it just look better IMO.
Old 09-24-09, 12:34 PM
danxp
Driver

how 'bout highlander? it's got that cool center pop-out thingy in the second row that makes the second row into captains chairs... makes for an easier entry into the 3rd row...

i, for one, may end up getting that myself... it also gets pretty good gas mileage...

the pilot, btw, has 84 cu ft cargo while the highlander gets 95 cu ft (according to edmunds comparo feature)

i'd love to get the acadia, but the reliability seems suspect... i hated the 09 pilot when it first came out, but it is slowly growing on me...

have you considered the hyundai veracruz? or lr4 (probably too expensive and unreliable) or mdx or x5 or gx?
Old 09-24-09, 12:57 PM
LexFather

Would you entertain used? I would probably go for a 2nd hand 2nd gen Acura MDX. Its the least offensive of the Acuras, interior is good, good features,and decent power. Rear seat room is okay, not great but none of them have big 3rd rows.

Haven't seen the new 4 runner in person yet, but I really like the GMC Arcadia and the CX-9 here.

Also check out the Buick Enclave, its superb and starts at only 34k

Old 09-24-09, 01:24 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

The highlanders 3rd row is too small for what im looking for. That is why i'm considering the Pilot, CX-9, and maybe the acadia.

as far as used goes i wouldn't mind picking up an 08 toy sequoia, but the main issue with that suv is its size.

does anybody know if honda will ever upgrade the pilot engine to the mdx 3.7liter v6 motor? I really do like the pilot, but the weak motor and brakes really turn me off.
Old 09-24-09, 01:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
The highlanders 3rd row is too small for what im looking for. That is why i'm considering the Pilot, CX-9, and maybe the acadia.

as far as used goes i wouldn't mind picking up an 08 toy sequoia, but the main issue with that suv is its size.

does anybody know if honda will ever upgrade the pilot engine to the mdx 3.7liter v6 motor? I really do like the pilot, but the weak motor and brakes really turn me off.
The 3.7 aint that much stronger the difference is negligible.

Old 09-24-09, 01:34 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

The Flex is a solid car too
Old 09-24-09, 01:43 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 3.7 aint that much stronger the difference is negligible.
3.7liter = 300hp 275lbtq vs

3.5liter= 250hp 253lbtq

I'm thinking the extra 50hp and 23lbtq will make a diff in a 4300lb suv.
Old 09-24-09, 01:44 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
The Flex is a solid car too

yeah im just really not feeling american cars otherwise i would really consider the acadia.
Old 09-24-09, 02:02 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend has a Traverse (twin of the Acadia) and it drives like a luxury vehicle and has a luxury quality interior. Extremely roomy for all 3 rows and I was very impressed by the quality, too. Definitely check it out. Also check out the Buick Enclave. Honestly I believe the reliability will be just fine based on what I've seen of the design.

Pilot is a flat out bad choice IMO for a number of reasons.

CX-9 is a good choice, especially if you want to still enjoy the drive.

I'm not a fan of the new 4runner though I haven't seen one in person. Personally I think BOF would be a waste unless you go off road. Several years ago BOF was also useful for towing but these days many unibody vehicles will tow just as much if not more weight than some BOF designs.
Old 09-24-09, 02:22 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
My friend has a Traverse (twin of the Acadia) and it drives like a luxury vehicle and has a luxury quality interior. Extremely roomy for all 3 rows and I was very impressed by the quality, too. Definitely check it out. Also check out the Buick Enclave. Honestly I believe the reliability will be just fine based on what I've seen of the design.

Pilot is a flat out bad choice IMO for a number of reasons.

CX-9 is a good choice, especially if you want to still enjoy the drive.

I'm not a fan of the new 4runner though I haven't seen one in person. Personally I think BOF would be a waste unless you go off road. Several years ago BOF was also useful for towing but these days many unibody vehicles will tow just as much if not more weight than some BOF designs.
yes i read very good things about the transverse,enclave,acadia. i just dont think the wife wants to drive a gm car. she's not into them otherwise i would give serious consideration to gm cars.

why is the pilot so poor in your opinion besides weak motor and below avg brakes.

Quick Reply: Another SUV 3rd row thread