Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is Buick a luxury brand?
Yes, 100% a legitimate luxury brand
8.93%
Its not true luxury, its entry level luxury like Acura, Saab. etc...
58.93%
No, its not a luxury brand at all
32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Do you consider Buick a luxury brand? (POLL now added)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 11:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
The 1979 Corvette should be compared to a 1979 Buick. Cadillac has always been the luxury division of GM unless GM has mutiple luxury divisions (Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile)?
The other "vette"
Ours was white.

Old 09-25-09, 11:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just saw a La Crosse commercial with my wife and we were starring at the car with our mouths wide open. I am very impressed with the design and the quality of the materials and attention to detail. I love the fact that Lexus will need to stay on its toes
Old 09-25-09, 11:30 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

With the new products coming out and the redesign of the Lacrosse now IMO i think their a entry level class..
Old 09-26-09, 01:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I would call Buick an Upscale brand, but not a true luxury brand. What would the point of Cadillac then. IMO Buick will always compete with Mercury
Old 09-26-09, 06:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they're all crap fwd-based, gussied up GM cars which still offer cloth seats & stripped base models.
You realize you just described the ES350 aside from replacing the word GM with Toyota, right? It's FWD, based on the Camry ('gussied up Camry'), its base model has cloth seats... so then I guess you have the same problem with the ES that you have with the LaCrosse then, right?

and they only have 3 models. 1 suv and 2 sedans. and one sedan is old *** tech.... with a huge 3.9L engine putting out a measly 227hp, and a 50 year old 4 speed transmission. only a blind old man would be dumb enough to buy that.
The Lucerne is old school luxury. Some people really like it (I bet mmarshal does, for example)... but I think we all know this thread is about where Buick is heading with the Enclave and especially the LaCrosse... if the Lucerne was the direction they were currently heading, this thread wouldn't exist.

so not luxury. not even close. I would rank them somewhere between Ford and Mercury.
Seriously?? I can kinda see somebody pegging them alongside Mercury but below? Wow. I think you're hung up on the Lucerne and not giving enough consideration to their new products.

Targeting lexus is good for marketing........ Just as Kia commercials say they outsell Lexus. But that's where the comparisons end.
The LaCrosse and ES are very comparable cars... far more comparable than anything from Kia. If you can't see that, I've got to say you're in denial or really need to take a closer look at LaCrosse.

Enclave could be compared to the RX... especially the previous gen one. But I do agree that they offer nothing remotely comparable to the GS and LS... but that's why I also said they're a "Tier 2.1" brand. Part of their lineup can be compared to part of Lexus' lineup, but that's about it (for now).
Old 09-26-09, 08:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
You realize you just described the ES350 aside from replacing the word GM with Toyota, right? It's FWD, based on the Camry ('gussied up Camry'), its base model has cloth seats... so then I guess you have the same problem with the ES that you have with the LaCrosse then, right?
Eh, I can see where Jack is coming from. Lexus actually takes some time to refine the ES from the Camry. GM is notorious for changing an amber turn signal red and calling it a new and different vehicle.
Old 09-26-09, 08:53 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Eh, I can see where Jack is coming from. Lexus actually takes some time to refine the ES from the Camry. GM is notorious for changing an amber turn signal red and calling it a new and different vehicle.
What?

We're talking about Buick right now, not GM's past... so please tell me what about the LaCrosse or Enclave matches what you just said? The LaCrosse is far more different from any other GM vehicle currently sold than the ES is from the Camry. Lexus has its own history of doing much the same, too - especially with the older ES.
Old 09-26-09, 09:38 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
Lexus has its own history of doing much the same, too - especially with the older ES.
I'm sorry, I don't agree. An ES is distinguishable from a Camry. A Catera was a Cavalier, which was also a Sunfire. The G3 is an Aveo. And we've seen the specualted new Impala is the exact same as the G8. News that came out before Pontiac and the G8 were cancelled. And are you joking? The Enclave is a Traverse, which is also an Acadia, which is also an Outlook. THEY ARE THE SAME VEHICLE except the Chevy model has direct injection.

Who is to say that Lacrosse won't be the new Malibu that is coming in 2011? GM is doing the same crap that they always do.
Old 09-26-09, 10:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Coming soon from the Luxury car maker Buick....

Not soon enough obviosly.
Old 09-26-09, 10:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'm sorry, I don't agree. An ES is distinguishable from a Camry. A Catera was a Cavalier, which was also a Sunfire. The G3 is an Aveo. And we've seen the specualted new Impala is the exact same as the G8. News that came out before Pontiac and the G8 were cancelled. And are you joking? The Enclave is a Traverse, which is also an Acadia, which is also an Outlook. THEY ARE THE SAME VEHICLE except the Chevy model has direct injection.

Who is to say that Lacrosse won't be the new Malibu that is coming in 2011? GM is doing the same crap that they always do.
Well you're simply flat out wrong about catera. Enclave is just about as different from traverse as RX was from highlander last generation. If impala comes out as the g8 I don't see the problem since Pontiac is dead. G3 and aveo? We are talking about Buick and luxury not entry level sub compacts selling for under 10 grand. Nobody in their right mind should care if their G3 is similar to a chevy or not.
Once again I remind you we are talking about Buick and most specifically the lacrosse. If you are speculating that the new Malibu is going to be significantly more similar to lacrosse than Camry is to the ES then I can't help you... You are basing your only point that even addreses what my original reply was about, on a huge assumption. You are letting your general dislike for Gm convince you that somehow the lacrosse is substandard while the ES is a fine product. Take a step back and leave your predispositions aside.
Old 09-26-09, 10:17 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Show me where I said that the Lacrosse is a substandard product. I said that GM has made their business for the last 40 years (at least) by taking one design and calling it by 3-4 different names. They are doing this today and I am speculating that they will continue to do this. They have not learned. I can't make my point any clearer.
Old 09-26-09, 10:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

RE: concept coupe-looks like a G coupe imitation.......we've complained about hyundai ripping other car maker designs.
Seems like buick is doing the same thing yet no one is making a riot. Guess it shows no one is really paying that much attention to buick as compared to hyundai

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not soon enough obviosly.
yep, at least there products are improving
Old 09-26-09, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
buick is still a big step below infiniti.

they're all crap fwd-based, gussied up GM cars which still offer cloth seats & stripped base models.
9/10 times those crappy Buicks you are seeing are rental cars.
Old 09-26-09, 11:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are people on this board that think Lexus is a "budget brand" or a "value brand"... yet Buick is luxury? LOL.
Old 09-26-09, 04:36 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
The other "vette"
Ours was white.

Opps my bad. I see you meant the other "vette"...

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I would call Buick an Upscale brand, but not a true luxury brand. What would the point of Cadillac then. IMO Buick will always compete with Mercury
I totally agree with you that Buick competes directly with Mercury and does not compete directly with Lexus...so Lexus doesn't have anything to worry about with Buick...

Quick Reply: Do you consider Buick a luxury brand? (POLL now added)