Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is Buick a luxury brand?
Yes, 100% a legitimate luxury brand
8.93%
Its not true luxury, its entry level luxury like Acura, Saab. etc...
58.93%
No, its not a luxury brand at all
32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Do you consider Buick a luxury brand? (POLL now added)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 05:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
There are people on this board that think Lexus is a "budget brand" or a "value brand"... yet Buick is luxury? LOL.
lol, maybe a few BMW owners because if you look at BMW pricing, wow.

But on topic, Buick is trying to deliver a truly competitive sedan, certainly the first in decades. The car can still succeed even if it doesn't take sales from the leading premium cars makers, IMO.
Old 09-26-09, 06:34 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That depends on what your definition of a luxury car is. For example, there are places in Southern California that won't even consider Mercedes a luxury brand. And there are places that consider an Accord EX a luxury toy.

That being said, I think perhaps a more precise question for one to ask would be: What is GM's intention to make out of Buick as a brand?

In the past, this question was much easier to answer, as this is how GM makes were divided until the mid. to late 1990s:

Top tier:
Cadillac: With the likes of Fleetwood/De Ville/Seville dominating the market.
Buick: Almost on par with the Caddies with its Park Ave. Ultra/Roadmaster models.

Middle tier:
Oldsmobile: Mid-stream domestic brand offers Eighty-eight/Cutlass models
Pontiac: Bonneville/Gran AM/Gran Prix models that compete with Camry/Accord

Lower tier:
Chevrolet: Caprice for people who wanted a large car but didn't want to spend too much and Corsica as an alternative for Corolla.
Saturn: LS sedans for the rest of the market.

Obviously, out of these tiers each make/brand also offered an iconic model that may move itself to a higher tier. Such as the Cadillac Allante, Buick Regetta, Oldsmobile Toronado, Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, Chevrolet Corvette and so forth, etc.

Fast forward the time to 2010, I think given Buick's tradition, reputation and its most recent products it could very well be considered as the domestic equivalency of Acura. It's not quite up to the Cadillac/Lincoln standard but it's certainly a step above the likes of Camry/Accord and some of the outgoing Oldsmobile models.

Of course, Buick still offers models that compete well in the non-luxury car market. But it would not be fair to call it a non-luxury brand off the bat.

Jon
Old 09-26-09, 10:15 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
That depends on what your definition of a luxury car is. For example, there are places in Southern California that won't even consider Mercedes a luxury brand. And there are places that consider an Accord EX a luxury toy.
Right...lol.

'Cause those half million dollar SLR's and $200K AMG's are for the peasants.
Old 09-26-09, 10:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Right...lol.

Yeah really, it's not that complicated. And a vast majority of the people know that Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Jag make luxury cars, simple enough.
Old 09-26-09, 10:50 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Not sure what or why you found what I said funny. I am just being realistic.

You're not a peasant, are you?

Right...lol.

Old 09-26-09, 11:03 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Not sure what or why you found what I said funny. I am just being realistic.

You're not a peasant, are you?
To suggest that MB is not luxury in South Cal is flat out laughable. MB is probably the pinnacle of luxury as they offer cars that cover just about every class. They offer a wider range of vehicles...from supercars to entry lux....than anybody out there.

If your comment had been that B series were a joke and not true MB lux, I wouldn't disagree with you....but to suggest that MB as a brand is not true lux in SoCal is a joke.

The most common opinion is that BMW, Audi, Lexus and Mercedes are the true luxury players in North America. AM, Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc...are niche market....or hyper-luxury. Nobody will deny that they are at the top of the class....but such a minute portion of the population has access to them.
Old 09-26-09, 11:15 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

First of all, do you even live in So. Cal?

Secondly, in case you were taking what I said too literally I was merely pointing out the fact that people perceive what's considered luxury very subjectively. Can you ever make a blanket statement that every single person in So. Cal perceives MB as a luxury brand?

And finally, just how in the world would you know what my perception of MB is (luxury or not) if I never said it?

If you're not reading everything I said by its entirety and were simply chopping and picking a single statement out of my writing then you sir, are the one who's laughable.

Jon

To suggest that MB is not luxury in South Cal is flat out laughable. MB is probably the pinnacle of luxury as they offer cars that cover just about every class. They offer a wider range of vehicles...from supercars to entry lux....than anybody out there.

If your comment had been that B series were a joke and not true MB lux, I wouldn't disagree with you....but to suggest that MB as a brand is not true lux in SoCal is a joke.

The most common opinion is that BMW, Audi, Lexus and Mercedes are the true luxury players in North America. AM, Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc...are niche market....or hyper-luxury. Nobody will deny that they are at the top of the class....but such a minute portion of the population has access to them.
Old 09-26-09, 11:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

First of all, do you even live in So. Cal?

Secondly, in case you were taking what I said too literally I was merely pointing out the fact that people perceive what's considered luxury very subjectively. Can you ever make a blanket statement that every single person in So. Cal perceives MB as a luxury brand?

And finally, just how in the world would you know what my perception of MB is (luxury or not) if I never said it?

If you're not reading everything I said by its entirety and were simply chopping and picking a single statement out of my writing then you sir, are the one who's laughable.

Jon
I could really give a rat's azz what your perception of luxury is.

No, I don't live in SoCal....but actually I own property there and vacation there regularly.

I'd argue that even upper echelon car owners in SoCal would consider MB luxury.

How do you even put out the argument that MB isn't luxury?

'Cause guess what?....even those LP, Enzo or DB9 owners have to respect and appreciate that an SLR is luxury...or do you even know what the MB line up consists of??

Btw...this is a "Is Buick Luxury?" thread....maybe I should start a "Is Benz Luxury?" one....what do you think the results would be?
Old 09-26-09, 11:34 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Sorry,

I can't really figure out if you're immature, vulgar, or just simply dumb.

How many times do I have to clarify myself?

But seeing that you're a MB owner, you're probably too dumb too read the rest of what I had to say before you got upset.

Oh wait... Maybe I shouldn't have written what I just said. I have a MB too!

Jon

I could really give a rat's azz what your perception of luxury is.

No, I don't live in SoCal....but actually I own property there and vacation there regularly.

I'd argue that even upper echelon car owners in SoCal would consider MB luxury.

How do you even put out the argument that MB isn't luxury?

'Cause guess what?....even those LP, Enzo or DB9 owners have to respect and appreciate that an SLR is luxury...or do you even know what the MB line up consists of??

Btw...this is a "Is Buick Luxury?" thread....maybe I should start a "Is Benz Luxury?" one....what do you think the results would be?
Old 09-26-09, 11:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Sorry,

I can't really figure out if you're immature, vulgar, or just simply dumb.

How many times do I have to clarify myself?

But seeing that you're a MB owner, you're probably too dumb too read the rest of what I had to say before you got upset.

Oh wait... Maybe I shouldn't have written what I just said. I have a MB too!

Jon
Ya...I had a peek at that....btw....your MB doesn't actually exist.

AMG CL500....lame....call it what it actually is....a CL500 with the "AMG Appearance Package".

But of course it's not luxury anyways 'cuz it's a Benz.
Old 09-26-09, 11:44 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Shift the subject all you want. That's real smart and mature.

Why not list your credential and perhaps your occupation to impress everyone of us here too? Maybe you'll scare me away... What do I know? I am just a poor lawyer with no vacation property like you do.

You seriously need to chill. Just take your Prozac and get some rest.

Jon

Ya...I had a peek at that....btw....your MB doesn't actually exist.

AMG CL500....lame....call it what it actually is....a CL500 with the "AMG Appearance Package".
Old 09-26-09, 11:48 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Shift the subject all you want. That's real smart and mature.

Why not list your credential and perhaps your occupation to impress everyone of us here too? Maybe you'll scare me away... What do I know? I am just a poor lawyer with no vacation property like you do.

You seriously need to chill. Just take your Prozac and get some rest.

Jon
Right.....re-read the posts....you're the only one that has resorted to name calling and listing cars that don't exist in their signature.

You specifically asked if I lived in SoCal....I told you I didn't, but own property and vacation there....seems like a simple enough answer enough to me. Apparently it wasn't though.

Once again, I couldn't give a rat's azz what you do or how much money you make....and I don't know why you'd care what I do either?
Old 09-26-09, 11:55 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Ok cool!

If you don't give a rats *** then stop replying to my threads and stop picking on what I said by quoting me in single lines.

To reduce your blood pressure, you may want to start with stop giving thumbs down to what others have to say and making a mockery out of it first.

Apparently, you haven't learned your lesson. Now you're obsessed with what I call my cars?

You're either an internet stalker or simply just too dumb to admit that you're wrong. But hey, even though I didn't pick on you first I am still having a lot of fun watching you get mad.

Jon

Right.....re-read the posts....you're the only one that has resorted to name calling and listing cars that don't exist in their signature.

You specifically asked if I lived in SoCal....I told you I didn't, but own property and vacation there....seems like a simple enough answer enough to me. Apparently it wasn't though.

Once again, I couldn't give a rat's azz what you do or how much money you make....and I don't know why you'd care what I do either?
Old 09-27-09, 12:01 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Ok cool!

If you don't give a rats *** then stop replying to my threads and stop picking on what I said by quoting me in single lines.

To reduce your blood pressure, you may want to start with stop giving thumbs down to what others have to say and making a mockery out of it first.

Apparently, you haven't learned your lesson. Now you're obsessed with what I call my cars?

You're either an internet stalker or simply just too dumb to admit that you're wrong. But hey, even though I didn't pick on you first I am still having a lot of fun watching you get mad.

Jon
You really don't have a clue do you?

First you say MB isn't luxury in SoCal....FAIL.

Second you start name calling....FAIL.

Then you want to get into a pissing match over jobs....FAIL.

Then you suggest that I am wrong for proving you to be complete FAIL....lol.
Old 09-27-09, 12:07 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Actually,

I didn't say MB isn't luxury in So Cal. You simply misread my words.

I didn't call you anything. I simply asked if you're a peasant because you made a mockery out of what I said and you admitted by responding to my questions.

I admit I was a bit curious about what you do given your pompous attitude about your property here and how you think you can interpret what everyone thinks here in So Cal.

So.... I think your English is the only thing that failed.

Jon

You really don't have a clue do you?

First you say MB isn't luxury in SoCal....FAIL.

Second you start name calling....FAIL.

Then you want to get into a pissing match over jobs....FAIL.

Then you suggest that I am wrong for proving you to be complete FAIL....lol.

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 09-27-09 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you consider Buick a luxury brand? (POLL now added)