Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autos in other countries -- Japan and Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, yes there is small parasitic drag on the battery, and no they do not go dead in 10-14 days normally., based on actual experience. I've done it several times with modern cars (2 weeks) and no ill effect.

Have you had your Subie battery die in that timeframe?
No. I drive it every day, at least a coupe of miles.

Most mechanics/technicians advise you not to go more than two weeks, which is 14 days. That's their recommendation, not mine.
Old 09-26-09, 05:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. I drive it every day, at least a coupe of miles.

Most mechanics/technicians advise you not to go more than two weeks, which is 14 days. That's their recommendation, not mine.
That's what I thought. The point is the battery won't go dead, but as a precaution a battery maintainer should be used for extended sittings over 2 weeks. I've owned a few Porsche cars that weren't driven for up to 4 weeks at time, but I used the OEM battery maintainer as a precaution.

btw, hopefully those mechanics are not still recommending oil changes at 3000 miles for normal usage, if so they need to get up to date on more than one subject.
Old 09-26-09, 06:21 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDM Estima/Previa!!!

Hummer H1, not a smart choice in HK

I've posted this pic in another thread, but Toyota recently began selling the Vellfire, an Alphard-based derivative aimed at younger buyers.
Old 09-26-09, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, hopefully those mechanics are not still recommending oil changes at 3000 miles for normal usage, if so they need to get up to date on more than one subject.
Depends on how you define normal usage. For the stop-and-go, urban/suburban driving that many people do today in both winter and summer, 3000-4000 miles is reasonable, especialy on dino/non-synthetic oil.

Although, granted, not all engines are as unforgiving of extended oil changes as the Toyota/Lexus 3.0L V6, that engine was a good example of the sludge/gel you can get when you let the oil go too long.
Old 09-26-09, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
JDM Estima/Previa!!!

So the Previa is still in the JDM? I didn't know that. But, when I saw the picture you posted here, even before I read the label, that was my first reaction.....Previa. It has not changed its styling very much since back in the 1990's, when it was sold here in the U.S.....although the headlights/grille are somewhat sleeker.

However, I can understand its being dropped from the American market. It did not prove very popular here, whether RWD or AWD, and the tilt-over engine location was very hard to reach and service. The Sienna, which replaced it, of course, has been a huge success here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-26-09 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-26-09, 06:42 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

So the Previa is still in the JDM? I didn't know that. But, when I saw the picture you posted here, even before I read the label, that was my first reaction.....Previa. It has not changed its styling very much since back in the early 1990's, when it was sold here in the U.S.....although the headlights/grille are somewhat sleeker.
This is the third generation. While each generation has been completely new, the styling theme has remained similar. My family has had the pleasure of owning all three generations:

2nd generation 2000-2005

3rd generation 2006-present
Old 09-26-09, 11:16 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Great pics Henry!

Sounds like it was an incredible vacation.
Old 09-26-09, 11:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgear
from what i have noticed when i was in Japan a few years back, they're more into European cars
I was there for 7 days in the end of 2007 and I felt the same way. They seem like they are way more into the high end German cars .
Old 09-26-09, 11:56 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

as i mentioned before, I was gone for three weeks and all my cars started up fine. the IS needed a bit more cranking than the rest though
Old 09-27-09, 12:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I was just in HK from august 24 to sept 14th! the people there are really rich, you do see a lot of nice cars, however, i think the most common car i saw was the toyota previa. haha
and also estima / alphard

we overlapped a lot of our stay in hk!
Old 09-27-09, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Nice photos.

I've been to Japan before in the early '90s. Beautiful country, rich in culture and simply fascinating. Tokyo was enjoyable, a bit too hectic for my tastes but outside in the countryside where the true beauty of the country comes to life I think settling down could be great.

The issue of LHD cars in Japan is simple: it's a status symbol. It signifies "Hey, I am rich!"

Importing a LHD car into Japan is actually more expensive than buying one locally from what hear. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
yeah so i guess they do allow LHD cars to be registered in japan huh? very interesting. now this could be totally random, but the very few LHD cars i saw there, they all happened to be driven by foreigners.

Were the batteries dead when you got back? Most modern computer-equipped cars have a small parasitic drag on the battery when the car is shut off, and it usually can go 10 days to two weeks before dying.

Anyhow, nice pictures. It's interesting to see how the Japanese treat our LS460 is a Celsior taxicab.

That's probably because of taxation. Japan over-taxes everything, just like Western Europe. That, of course, means more money available for highway paving crews.
both my m3 and gs350 started just fine. the m3 started very normal actually, and the gs350 needed a bit more cranking. to be honest i was a bit surprised too, considering it was 3 weeks out. but then again all my previous 3-5 weeks vacations, i came back and my cars never died on me
Old 09-27-09, 04:40 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah so i guess they do allow LHD cars to be registered in japan huh? very interesting. now this could be totally random, but the very few LHD cars i saw there, they all happened to be driven by foreigners.
Diplomats perhaps?

Amongst the Japanese, a LHD foreign car is considered a status symbol as far as I know. I've heard that some Japanese will go as far as tanning their left arms to indicate that they drive a "lefty".
Old 09-27-09, 10:35 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

thx for sharing pics.. would love to go both countries someday..
Old 09-27-09, 11:18 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Check this guy's flickr set. Quite a load of pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7114457...7618605938050/

Nissan Elgrand

And Mazda 8 baby
Old 09-27-09, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Check this guy's flickr set. Quite a load of pics
Yeah......fickr has huge number of google photos of many different subjects. Some of my favorites are from the road trips.

Nissan Elgrand

OMG ......look at the tall, narrow center of gravity on that thing. I sure wouldn't want to try throwing it around a corner. It almost reminds me of the classic British double-decker buses in London.

Quick Reply: Autos in other countries -- Japan and Hong Kong