Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ugly cars you love...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, yes, but actually more of a European response. The Merkur XR4T1, as well as the larger, more expensive Scorpio, were German designs from Ford's German arm. And, to put it bluntly, their reliability s**ked.
I had an XR4TI. You are correct on the reliability. I lost my shirt on it when I sold it after a couple of years.

Yes, it was supposed to be Ford's answer to BMW. Jeez...
Old 09-26-09, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I had an XR4TI. You are correct on the reliability. I lost my shirt on it when I sold it after a couple of years.

Yes, it was supposed to be Ford's answer to BMW. Jeez...
Why did you buy one? Did you want that German car "feel" while technically "Buying American"?
Old 09-26-09, 04:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question as I've seen conflicting posts...

Is it cars we love that WE personally think are ugly?,

or

Is it cars that we love that are commonly known for being ugly but we just happen to think it looks good or great?

For example, I love the new TL's design and driving it is a dream (I drive it everyday). It's truly brilliant. However, as we certainly know here, there's a large sector of the population that think it's ugly. I believe this is an advanced design that people begin to love once they've been exposed to it for a bit. People will understand in 5 years.
Old 09-26-09, 04:44 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I also love the looks of these often criticized for ugliness cars...

Scion xB (1 and 2)
Scion xD
Nissan Cube
Honda Fit
Dodge Caliber
All Acura's
Prius
Yaris hatch
Smart Fortwo

to name some
Old 09-26-09, 04:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, yes, but actually more of a European response. The Merkur XR4TI, as well as the larger, more expensive Scorpio, were German designs from Ford's German arm. And, to put it bluntly, their reliability s**ked.
Actually Ford of America's response. The Merkur was a butchered by Ford US version of the original. Didn't that lame car have the turbocharged Pinto engine in it if I recall. The European versions were better and used different engines, I drove a couple in England.

Another failed car in their history was the Lincoln Mark-whatever coupe that was suppposed to compete with the Lexus coupe per Ford, what a POS.
Old 09-26-09, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Actually Ford of America's response. The Merkur was a butchered by Ford US version of the original. Didn't that lame car have the turbocharged Pinto engine in it if I recall. The European versions were better and used different engines, I drove a couple in England.
Not only that, but the Euro-version was probably lighter than the one sold here. It didn't need the heavier American bumpers or as much standard equipment.

Another failed car in their history was the Lincoln Mark-whatever coupe that was suppposed to compete with the Lexus coupe per Ford, what a POS.
If you are talking about the Lincoln Mark VIII of the mid-late 90's, I agree......it was not a very impressive luxury coupe, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it a POS. And it seemed to be a better car than its brother V6 FWD Lincoln Continental, which was essentially a stretched Taurus platform and, in the opinion of many in the auto busness, WAS a POS.

Old 09-26-09, 05:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If you are talking about the Lincoln Mark VIII of the mid-late 90's, I agree......it was not a very impressive luxury coupe, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it a POS. And it seemed to be a better car than its brother V6 FWD Lincoln Continental, which was essentially a stretched Taurus platform and, in the opinion of many in the auto busness, WAS a POS.

Yes that's it, Piece of Crap, not POS like the Tortoise-equivalent, the difference is not worth noting. Cars like this just weren't competitive.
Old 09-26-09, 05:57 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 2009 FX.

Controversial styling, but personally I think it looks mean as heck, muscular, and doesn't have the family/feminine look of the RX, and makes the 1st Gen FX look outdated). The side vents need to go.

Other than the strange looks (to some), great performance for such a large SUV, puts most other performance SUVs around the price range to shame. Interior is refined and beautiful. Shiploads of amenities and gadgets, the optional around-view monitor is extremely useful for large SUVs.

It's actually on my list for a possible next car by the end of the year.
Old 09-26-09, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
the 2009 FX.

Controversial styling, but personally I think it looks mean as heck, muscular, and doesn't have the family/feminine look of the RX, and makes the 1st Gen FX look outdated). The side vents need to go.
What do you find "feminine" about the RX? It is a superbly-engineered SUV; butter-smooth drivetrain, tomb-quiet ride, top-notch material quality inside and out, and perhaps the ultimate in SUV refinement. Males can appreciate refinement as much as females. I don't just say that because this is a Lexus forum....the new RX350 is impressive any way you look at it.

It's actually on my list for a possible next car by the end of the year.
Better start saving up that bank account......a new FX isn't cheap, especially the V8 model.
Old 09-26-09, 06:52 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

zenki 1g q45.
Old 09-26-09, 07:43 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Audi A3

Hate it cause its a hatchback.

Love it cause..well...its an Audi.
Old 09-26-09, 10:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Going to have to go with the R8. I think Audi totally blew it up front. The black plastic open space below each headlight looks like two big black eyes. And the entire front clip looks like it hit a wall and is bent down. In any case, we all know how amazing the car is in all other ways.
Old 09-27-09, 12:59 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you find "feminine" about the RX? It is a superbly-engineered SUV; butter-smooth drivetrain, tomb-quiet ride, top-notch material quality inside and out, and perhaps the ultimate in SUV refinement. Males can appreciate refinement as much as females. I don't just say that because this is a Lexus forum....the new RX350 is impressive any way you look at it.
I mentioned on my post that the feminine refers to the "looks" of the new RX, which has gotten even more conservative (IMO), and I wasn't talking about the superb engineering, drivetrain, ride, material, and refinement. I agree, those are all the strong points of the RX, and I appreciate those as well. I was simply comparing the looks of it to the more muscular FX.

I would recommend most people to get the new RX, but since I want to find something that is noticably sportier than my current GS, I would pick the FX over the RX. It's just that the controversial looks makes it something people hate but can love
Old 09-27-09, 01:22 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
1985 Merkur XR4ti.........lol
The dealers in europe could literaly not get hands on enough of these (the basic euro-versions - the Ford Sierra, that is) cars back in the day I remember cause my dad worked at a Ford dealership and had the first one in norway back in late 1982 (as a 1983 model)
Old 09-27-09, 01:41 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Not only that, but the Euro-version was probably lighter than the one sold here. It didn't need the heavier American bumpers or as much standard equipment.
Correct...most units sold here had the 1,6 or 2.0 engine...and not much of anything when i came to equipment! Witch in turn made the car cheap to buy. If i remember correctly our first one had the 1,3 liter engine (!) and not even colour coded bumpers! Back in the early 80's when most people here where used to volvo 240's and other shoebox designs...the Sierra was seen as having a very futuristic design.

These to factors made the Sierra sell like hotcakes here

Quick Reply: Ugly cars you love...