Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 GTR Rumor from NAGTROC

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 10:50 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 GTR Rumor from NAGTROC

you can take this with a grain of salt, but i thought this was interesting.

"This is rumor that I heard so please do not flame me. A Nissan USA rep told me that Nissan is thinking about ending production of the R35 with the 2010 model. This goes against the 3-5 year R35 production run that I was told previously. He did not give any idea about why they would end production early. Again this is a rumor that is going around Nissan USA right now that I wanted to pass on."

From a Nissan Salesman on the site

"I do know that Nissan is not happy that NNA got sued . Maybe that is why they are talking about their options with the GT-R. This is right now just a rumor that was going around NNA headquarters. The fact that they might be talking is not good. I do not expect them to end production because the GT-R is their Halo car that gets put on magazine covers and keeps people talking about Nissan. Also they normally need a production run of 3-5 years to pay-off R&D and tooling and then turn a profit. Unlike other manufacturers, Nissan does not do anything unless it is fiscally sound."

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....pic=33714&st=0

Last edited by GTSLEX; 09-25-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-25-09, 08:11 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the big problem with the GT-R is it has a very limted audience, and I think the people who wanted one really bad, have one or just can not afford it in the near future. You arte just not going to convert Porsche people, Corvette people etc. to switch sides, but hopefully the GT-R can continue on in a more limited basis like the Viper for example.
Old 09-25-09, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Sales here aren't exactly on fire. What are sales goals? Sadly that probably has a lot to do with it.

It would only keep used GT-R values very high. Crap

Old 09-25-09, 11:31 PM
Essence
Driver School Candidate

This guy wants to sell his GT-R. See the Nagtroc thread..

The 2011 model is being tested now and it would probably have 500 hp to match the updated competition (911, LF-A ...). If it did, this would suck fro Spec-v owners
Old 09-25-09, 11:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I know someone in Nissan corporate and they said they cant give GTR's away right now. I am sure its not too different for any sports car manufacturer. I have heard right now is the first time in a very long time that Ferrari doesnt have an insane waiting list
Old 09-25-09, 11:54 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see atleast 2 GTRs everyday.
Old 09-26-09, 12:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The huge dealer markups on the GTR probably turned many buyers off and people from even considering it off. High dealer markups can kill all momentum of a hot car quickly once the word gets out and that is why they are highly discouraged by automakers, especially for lower volume niche cars. One of the biggest selling points for the GTR was all the performance you got for the price and how it could beat a much more expensive Porsche 911 and still cost much less but the dealer mark ups started killing this selling point and turning people off.

I remember reading numerous angry letters in car mags telling them to stop going on and on about what a great deal the GTR is at 70K because you can't get them for anywhere near 70K with dealers jacking up the price 25K-50K over msrp.

Still I doubt Nissan will pull the GTR prematurely from the market just because they were sued because it would destroy its legacy and make it seem like a complete failure.
Old 09-26-09, 04:44 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Essence

The 2011 model is being tested now and it would probably have 500 hp to match the updated competition (911, LF-A ...). If it did, this would suck fro Spec-v owners
As if the current model doesn't already have 500+hp
Old 09-26-09, 12:00 PM
Essence
Driver School Candidate

well the new '500hp' will be stronger than the current '485', whatever the real numbers are..
Old 09-26-09, 11:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
I see atleast 2 GTRs everyday.
you are seeing the same 2 GTR's . They are more rare than a Ferrari 430, 599, or even the low selling 612 scalliegtii
Old 09-27-09, 09:42 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Essence

For the last time, the LF A does NOT compete with the GT-R. The LF A is a class or two above the GT-R.

Regardless, the GT-R would need a lot more than 500HP to compete with the LF-A performance-wise.
Old 09-28-09, 02:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

You are going to eat those words when the LFA and the GTR spec V go head to head. The standard GTR has destroyed cars that cost 4 to 5 times it price The LFA's price doesnt mean its faster. The GTR will show you that. The LFA sounds bad *** but like the GTR its not prettier than an Italian car is not worth 250K. Dont think the boys at Nissan are siting on their hands waiting for Toyota to embarrass them
Old 09-28-09, 02:49 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The huge dealer markups on the GTR probably turned many buyers off and people from even considering it off. High dealer markups can kill all momentum of a hot car quickly once the word gets out and that is why they are highly discouraged by automakers, especially for lower volume niche cars. One of the biggest selling points for the GTR was all the performance you got for the price and how it could beat a much more expensive Porsche 911 and still cost much less but the dealer mark ups started killing this selling point and turning people off.

I remember reading numerous angry letters in car mags telling them to stop going on and on about what a great deal the GTR is at 70K because you can't get them for anywhere near 70K with dealers jacking up the price 25K-50K over msrp.

Still I doubt Nissan will pull the GTR prematurely from the market just because they were sued because it would destroy its legacy and make it seem like a complete failure.
I agree 100% dealer greed is going to kill the sales which is why I looked for other options when I was thinking of buying one.
Old 09-28-09, 08:29 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
You are going to eat those words when the LFA and the GTR spec V go head to head. The standard GTR has destroyed cars that cost 4 to 5 times it price The LFA's price doesnt mean its faster. The GTR will show you that. The LFA sounds bad *** but like the GTR its not prettier than an Italian car is not worth 250K. Dont think the boys at Nissan are siting on their hands waiting for Toyota to embarrass them
I could say the same to you .

It's already well-known the 7:26 time the GT-R did on the 'Ring was not using stock tires. The fastest time a GT-R has done on the 'Ring on stock tires was a 7:29.

This has nothing to do with price. If you've followed the LF A's development and it's performance, this car definitely will be faster than the GT-R.

The Spec V is not much faster anyways, and Nissan will need more than that to beat the LF A's performance.

It's pointless just talking about this. Soon enough you'll see what the LF A's true performance potential is.
Old 09-28-09, 09:02 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I could say the same to you .

It's already well-known the 7:26 time the GT-R did on the 'Ring was not using stock tires. The fastest time a GT-R has done on the 'Ring on stock tires was a 7:29.

This has nothing to do with price. If you've followed the LF A's development and it's performance, this car definitely will be faster than the GT-R.

The Spec V is not much faster anyways, and Nissan will need more than that to beat the LF A's performance.

It's pointless just talking about this. Soon enough you'll see what the LF A's true performance potential is.
If I'm not mistaken here nothing has been confirmed about the LF-A's performance to date. The operative word here being confirmed.

Quick Reply: 2011 GTR Rumor from NAGTROC