Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automotive Subculture: Swangin' 'n Bangin'

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 03:41 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Automotive Subculture: Swangin' 'n Bangin'

Houston prides itself on being the world's center of technologies from energy, to medicine, to aerospace, we've developed a proud culture of innovation and enterprise. We put up major architectural wonders only to tear them down in fifteen or twenty years to make room for something newer. This city is a culture in motion.

One of our subcultures somewhere between the ghetto and the barrio has produced a spin-off of hip-hop culture known as "Screw", as in DJ Screw, the a local rapper, and the latest cultural icon to litter our landscape. The music is a fusion of hip-hop and Mexican rap, and as if that weren't as bad as it sounds, there's a car culture to go with it.

The look is somewhere between low-rider and VIP, except the cars themselves are generally '60's and '70's junk that has been hammered out, bondo'ed and treated to a first rate paint job. Chrome is everywhere, including rims that are probably worth three times what the car might bring, plus a sound system - the key to the phenomenon of "Swangin' 'n Bangin'".

Minimum requirements seem to include some kind of CD head unit with a pair of 18" subs and requisite 250W amps with sufficient power to register on the Richter scale. Convertibles are best, but any coupe can qualify so long as it is LARGE and slathered in glossy paint and chrome. The interior should be custom, with neons outlining everything of significance. Now to the performance.

Don't think about speed here, remember these pieces of automotive and sonic art rarely exceed a cool 20 mph. The key here is looking cool as you cruise the street, laid back in your seat reclined in the "full gangsta" position, with one wrist dangling languidly over the steering wheel, the other embracing a rather large joint. This performance is all about chill.

Now to the piece de resistance, the aforementioned "Swangin' 'n Bangin'". As you roll down the boulevard with your sound system at ELEVEN, you juke right and left to the beat of the music. That's the "Swangin'" part. The "Bangin'" harks back to the '70's punk scene where "head bangers" were all the rage. You gotta bob your head up and down until your tiny brain is begging for mercy just before shutdown.

What's wrong with this? Well, even at low speed, the combination of noise, headbanging, the rather large spliff, and the cultural imperative of the 8-ball on the seat beside you, soon render the driver and passengers inert. Now add to this the "Swangin'" that has been known to get out of control quickly, or at least snap ancient suspension members, tie rods, drag links, and pittman arms, putting the entire performance into another car, or more often into a house or tree along the way.

Last week, this rather new cultural phenomenon produced its first fatality, when a 16 y/o decided to surf on the hood of one of these cars, with the predictable results. This fad is spreading quickly, and because it is not organized but is sort of the automotive equivalent of a flash mob or a street race, parades of vehicles nearby bars, game rooms, and other hangouts are forming regularly.

Watch for it - "Swangin'", coming to a neighborhood near you.
Old 09-27-09, 04:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Wish i could see the pics.. At work...

"Pimp in ain't easy"...

Not my style...

Last edited by tmf2004; 09-28-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-27-09, 05:09 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that A town rims is pretty creative...
Old 09-27-09, 11:41 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me of the oakland craze of hyphy and sydeshows. Kinda dumb.

the swangin n bangin is kinda reckless if you swerve left and right to music.
Old 09-28-09, 01:08 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here, sucks pics are blocked. gonna have to wait til i get home
Old 09-28-09, 01:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

screw screw. LOL.. seems like its not for me
Old 09-28-09, 07:06 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The story gets worse; confirming my source this morning, it turns out the boy who was killed was 12 years old. Some witnesses say he was just sitting on the car when it was stolen, but police say otherwise. The driver, who fled the scene turned himself in the following day. The incident occurred only two weeks ago.

Here's a club meet in a local shopping center, proving that you can put big sound and lambo doors on just about anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVCba87l_Rc

Further development indicates that the culture was built around DJ Screw's slow motion rap. The artist himself died in 2000 of an overdose of cough syrup, another popular agent in the culture. Like Pimp C and Moe, codeine consumption has killed many who don't regard "syrup" as a serious drug. Within the past two years, four local pharmacists who produced and sold over 2,400 GALLONS of "syrup" have been arrested and jailed awaiting trial. "Houstone" has become known as "the city of syrup".

As more of this culture comes to light, it's just getting uglier.