Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tata confirms it will close JAguar or Land Rover Plant

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09 | 09:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Toyota is too smart to buy Jag and Rover. Why would you want to take on a company with high labor cost and a bad track record.
I agree, Toyota has done a fine job of making Lexus top tier from scratch, without legacy baggage dragging them down. Toyota is better off focusing on improving and expanding Lexus products.
Old 11-15-09 | 10:01 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree, Toyota has done a fine job of making Lexus top tier from scratch, without legacy baggage dragging them down. Toyota is better off focusing on improving and expanding Lexus products.
True, true.......but a Toyota owned and produced Range Rover would be amazing. Totally the best of both worlds, but I guess that's the Range Rover fan in me speaking here. BMW/Ford did an amazing job improving and modernizing the current MKIII from the old P38 edition. Toyota would only further enhance the reliability and quality control of the construction of these legendary vehicles. In addition it would suck to see the famed Jaguar brand become extinct, especially after their most recent overhaul of their product line. They finally seem to have gotten it together after modernizing their stale lineup while staying true to their design theme.
Old 11-15-09 | 10:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that if Toyota took over a company the reliability would only rise. They have a great trrack record for attention to detail and generally headache free cars and ownership
Old 11-16-09 | 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

LR and Jag have a ways to go with much more cost cutting, etc.
Old 11-16-09 | 10:29 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Tata makes very good coffee at a resonable price point under the 8 O'clock Brand.

At this point I do not see any translation of their skill set into Jaguar.

I pass a Jaguar Dealer (Imperial Motors) everyday on the train and have yet to see any one drive up there for service, etc..

To make matters worse, the dealership is physically attached to a Starbucks shop so the company coffee brand is not even being promoted.

They should at least offer an 8 O'Clock Brown exterior with Cream Leather and Capuccino Foam Piping in the colour palette.
Old 11-16-09 | 02:14 PM
KA8
Instructor

They should move production to India so they can sell new Jags at discount. Maybe I'll buy XJR for $25000 that will be sweet... or not!
Old 11-16-09 | 05:02 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
It's been acknowledged for years that Jaguar Land Rover has one too many plants. This is a sensible move.
How many plants exactly do they have?

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed. Though as a RR fan, I'd love to see one infused with Toyota quality/reliability, Toyota/Lexus need to focus on their own Lexus brand and the vehicles they have. They also don't need the extra baggage. The only company out there right now that I think Toyota ought to grab a stake in, and it be mutually beneficial to both, is Lotus.
Old 11-16-09 | 05:33 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Alright fine........as long as production stays in England (as they are British brands).

Cause if not, then all hell will break loose.

Seriously though, I hope their not thinking of sending production to India. I can't imagine Jaguar vehicles like the XF and XJ and XKR being built one the same production line as the..........Tata Nano.

Good god

I swear, if Jags and LRs will be made by Indians, then people can forget about buying into the brand.

British brands must be made by British people in Britain.
its business not a freaking charity. Its all about profit
Old 11-16-09 | 06:44 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

hey those are my 2is rims!
ha kidding, but it looks the same.
Old 11-17-09 | 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Agreed. Though as a RR fan, I'd love to see one infused with Toyota quality/reliability, Toyota/Lexus need to focus on their own Lexus brand and the vehicles they have. They also don't need the extra baggage. The only company out there right now that I think Toyota ought to grab a stake in, and it be mutually beneficial to both, is Lotus.
I'm a RR fan too with my favorite being RR Sport supercharged which I have driven.

But Toyota/Lexus does not build reliable cars by buying unreliable brands and designs. Toyota/Lexus vehicles are their own designs and the quality and reliability is part of the original designs, not added later as a fix.
Old 11-17-09 | 08:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Well, let's just hope that they won't be making all-new Jags and LRs in India.

Gawd, cause NO ONE would want to buy an Indian-made Jag or LR

@Yay-Z

Still, Jag and LR are premium brands. When your XF and XJR are built alongside the Tata Nano, then it will just go to show how ****ed up it could get.
Old 11-17-09 | 08:35 AM
LexFather

Funny but the Aston Martin Rapide is the first Aston made outside the U.K...in Austria.....
Old 11-17-09 | 09:01 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny but the Aston Martin Rapide is the first Aston made outside the U.K...in Austria.....
Hehe alright (just like how all Audi Q7 vehicles are made in Slovakia).

Still, if you are really eager to buy a Jag or LR, I would ask you or anyone:

Would you buy an Indian-made one?
Old 11-17-09 | 09:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hehe alright (just like how all Audi Q7 vehicles are made in Slovakia).

Still, if you are really eager to buy a Jag or LR, I would ask you or anyone:

Would you buy an Indian-made one?
For me its bigger than India.
1. I have not much interest buying an Acura made in Ohio
2. I have not much interest buying a BMW made in S.C or South Africa
3. I have not much interest buying a Benz made in Alabama
4. I have not much interest buying a RR/Jag made in India
5. I would PREFER an RX made in Japan, not Canada.
etc etc
6. A 300C made in Canada...

I much prefer the car from the home country made in the home country. There is a certain national pride that goes in those cars. I am not against the globalism of where cars are made, just not for me. You don't see Ferrari's made in Greece do we.
Old 11-17-09 | 09:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I'm not too hung up on a car's COO, but my preference is still to have the car manufactured in the home country if possible.

Having owned a Alabama-built Benz (and German ones too), I find the cars to be no better or worse than the Benz's of the same period. In the case of the Benz in the modern era, the models with the highest quality and reliability are the result of superior original design.