Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tata confirms it will close JAguar or Land Rover Plant

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 08:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Tata confirms it will close JAguar or Land Rover Plant

Despite Jaguar unveiling stunning new models such as the 2010 XF and XK range, and sales of the Range Rover luxury SUV still going strong, the Jaguar Land Rover duo was still unable to turn a profit for 2008, even coming from a positive start to the year, and 2009 looks to be no different.

Tata, parent company to the premium British brands, remains confident that both will eventually be profitable but admits drastic cutbacks need to be implemented. Today, the Indian conglomerate confirmed that it will close one of the three Jaguar Land Rover assembly plants in the UK by 2014 in a bid to move the money-losing British unit into profitability.

No final decision has been made but the company stated that it will either close a factory in Castle Bromwich, which makes Jaguars, or a site in Solihull, which makes Land Rover models. The bean-counters are currently reviewing which plant should be closed and are expected to make a decision by the first half of next year.

The Castle Bromwich site employs around 2,000 staff while Solihull makes do with almost 5,000.

It’s not all bad news as Tata will essentially be consolidating the two plants into one, although job losses will be significant. Furthermore, Tata has stated that there will be no compulsory layoffs and new jobs will be created at the Halewood factory in 2011 when its starts building the upcoming 2012 Range Rover LRX.
Attached Thumbnails Tata confirms it will close JAguar or Land Rover Plant-jaguar-factory_100229648_l.jpg  
Old 09-27-09, 08:59 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poor poor Tata. Can't say I didn't see this coming as I said before they are in for some punishment buying those two companies. I wonder how long they can keep this up until they resort to selling it or find a way to clunker it to the scrap yard.
Old 09-28-09, 01:20 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I cant believe they thought they would get the company to turn a profit .Even the new XF has been listed as having many issues and annoying quirks since starting the long term test in two big auto publications. They had a name, but unlike Cadillac they are not making a strong comeback
Old 09-28-09, 05:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think Tata is doing the right thing. The only way these two companies will make a profit is to limit production.
Old 09-28-09, 05:57 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been acknowledged for years that Jaguar Land Rover has one too many plants. This is a sensible move.
Old 09-28-09, 07:51 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright fine........as long as production stays in England (as they are British brands).

Cause if not, then all hell will break loose.

Seriously though, I hope their not thinking of sending production to India. I can't imagine Jaguar vehicles like the XF and XJ and XKR being built one the same production line as the..........Tata Nano.

Good god

I swear, if Jags and LRs will be made by Indians, then people can forget about buying into the brand.

British brands must be made by British people in Britain.
Old 09-28-09, 10:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Business decisions need to be made to make Jag/LR profitable. The history of losses is not sustainable.
Old 09-28-09, 10:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

IS-SV, so what you are saying is that Jag and Rover is too small to lose big money?
Old 09-28-09, 10:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
IS-SV, so what you are saying is that Jag and Rover is too small to lose big money?
No way, the losses that Ford sucked up over the years on this "luxury group" were unacceptable.
Old 09-28-09, 10:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Toyota should buy Jag & Land Rover from Tata. They have truck load of cash I've heard.. It would not be bad idea to get the deal done.
Old 09-28-09, 11:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Toyota should buy Jag & Land Rover from Tata. They have truck load of cash I've heard.. It would not be bad idea to get the deal done.
Toyota will need that cash reserve to stay on top.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-29-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I actually agree with this idea.

I've said for awhile sadly Jag may bite the dust, even with improved products. I read recently they said they are profitable at 150k units a year but I don't buy that one bit.

Sad if they go...

Old 09-28-09, 09:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, if a lot of difficult decisions are made and executed on with Jag, it could be a viable company.
Old 09-28-09, 10:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, if a lot of difficult decisions are made and executed on with Jag, it could be a viable company.
They need volume and they don't have it. They make some really incredible cars, their service is great and quality is up.

Very sad story.

Old 09-29-09, 07:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota is too smart to buy Jag and Rover. Why would you want to take on a company with high labor cost and a bad track record.

Quick Reply: Tata confirms it will close JAguar or Land Rover Plant