Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thank you for the review Mike!
Sure. Anytime. I'll going to get to the new Buick LaCrosse as soon as they start shipping them here.

It parallels with most of what I experienced when I test drove the car a couple of months ago.
Did you drive a base or premium model? They both have the same drivetrain, of course.

Yes, the HS is not superb. It does not provide the spectacular gas mileage of the new Prius. It does not reach the efficiency of the Ford Fusion Hybrid. However, it does have significant gas savings compared to other FWD entry-level 200hp-ish luxury vehicles such as the Audi A4 (23/30 mpg) and the Acura TSX (21/30 mpg).

So, I guess people will have to make their own conclusions with regards to power and efficiency. The Prius does better gas mileage, but with 50 hp less. If they want something more luxurious with more performance than the Prius, the HS comes with a sacrifice. And knowing that the HS is getting a lot of previous Prius owners, the method is working...
I took the relative difference in engine size between the Prius and HS250 in-line fours into consideration (and, of course, the Prius is substantially lighter) when I made the statements I did. Even allowing for that....and other factors.....the difference in EPA mileage between the HS and Prius is enormous, up to 15 MPG in the city mode. Even the Ford Fusion beats it by 6 MPG in the city cycle.....and the Fusion is a mid-size family sedan, not a small lightweight.
Old 09-28-09, 08:35 PM
LexFather

Great review Mike, I think it was more than fair. Not many here in Atlanta, I hope to get my hands on one soon.

Did you feel the driving position was "high" to get a better view of the road?

Old 09-28-09, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, another question:

Which makes/models will be affected by the HS?

As I noted above (and in the HS Forum), the Acura TSX and Audi A4 may be affected (Lexus never had direct competition for these cars). Some others have added the Volvo S40 (168 hp, 20/28 mpg) and the Saab 9-3 Sedan (210 hp, 19/26 mpg) to the list.

What do you think?
I think the HS's most likely competitors will be smaller Audi diesels (if Audi adopts the VW TDi) and the Lincoln MKZ (a Fusion twin) if Ford puts the Fusion's hybrid powertrain into the MKZ.

I also agree with your list.....all of those will be at least some factor, though the 9-3's (and Saab's) future is in doubt. Their EPA mileage, though, right now, is closer to the ES and IS than to the HS.
Old 09-28-09, 08:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
I feel the quality of the bio plastics used in the HS are finely executed. Most people wouldn't even realize that these materials are recycled. Flimsier appearance, that's not the case.

The wood trim is packaged with certain HS h packages. Base and Touring packages get the painted gray trim only and of course Japan gets the best interior trim and combinations.
Thx for the info. I was just making the observation that the trunk liner, trunk tray etc. is made from bioplastic. As I haven't had the chance to examine the HS trunk closely, I can't say whether or not it is flimsy-looking. I did examine and sit inside the HS interior, and found that the areas that are bioplastic/recycled (doors, dash materials) seemed to be high-quality, and like you said, I wouldn't have been able to tell they were recycled save for having read about it beforehand.

Another interesting bit I just read the other day is that they used nanotechnology to produce the HS bioplastics...cool.
Old 09-28-09, 08:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Good review mmarshall!
Thanks.

If you have a chance could you take a look at the A3 TDI? It's supposed to be released in late November so it's a ways off but it'll be nice to see a small hybrid vs small diesel comparo
Yes. I'll add it to the list. I think the A3 TDI is going to be a good competitor. The VW Jetta TDI already beats the HS's EPA figures. And the VW diesels don't need the periodic urea-refills that the new Mercedes and BMW diesels do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-28-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 08:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you drive a base or premium model? They both have the same drivetrain, of course.
I drove a pre-production model with all the bells and whistles.

Have you seen the video link in my signature?
Old 09-28-09, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike
Thanks.

I think it was more than fair. Not many here in Atlanta, I hope to get my hands on one soon.
CA seems to have been getting most of them....until now. See flip's comments.

Did you feel the driving position was "high" to get a better view of the road?
Well, you get a decent view of the road anyway, at least straight ahead, because, like on many new cars, the hoodline slopes down and doesn't block much of it. But, being big and tall, I had to sit with the front seat cushion down all the way to fit in under the sunroof housing, so that lowered me a little. And the big A-pillars, even with the small triangular windows up front, don't do a whole lot for visibility out the front at an angle.
Old 09-28-09, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews (when available): 2010 Buick LaCrosse, 2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost, Ford F-150 Raptor.
Old 09-28-09, 09:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I drove a pre-production model with all the bells and whistles.
Bells and whistles went out 100 years ago. Modern cars have horns.

Have you seen the video link in my signature?
Thanks. I'll check it out, but my computer doesn't download videos well.....it takes some time.
Old 09-28-09, 10:10 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think the HS's most likely competitors will be smaller Audi diesels (if Audi adopts the VW TDi) and the Lincoln MKZ (a Fusion twin) if Ford puts the Fusion's hybrid powertrain into the MKZ.
I am not sure if the HS really has any competition I am sure high end shoppers will cross shop the Prius and HS more than other competitors. The competition has not yet entered this segment and I sure Mercedes Benz will be the first to follow HS lead.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-29-09 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 12:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Excellent review and extremely educational. It sounds like a typical Lexus in most regards, which is a good thing. It also sounds like a typical hybrid, which can be a good or not so good thing. I'm surprised after all these years of Toyota hybrids, they haven't figured a way to quell the quirky braking characteristics (even with the regenerative). And I am put off with no manual control over the CVT. I hope to see these things fixed in the near future. To me, the ideal hybrid would be similar to the HS, but spark a more sporting experience.

I do have to disagree with the bodyside molding comment. Moldings are a dying breed and not found on most new luxury or sport cars. No IS, ES, GS, LS, A4, A6, 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, C-Class, , TSX, TL, Accord, or Camry come with mid-section moldings. They mare the style of the body and look bulky and old-fashioned. So I must say I'm glad they aren't included on the HS. (The ones from Pep Boys look tacked on and cheap IMO, like most things from that store). If one gets a ding, it can be popped out for about a hundred bucks.
Overall, great review and look forward to test-driving this thing myself.
Old 09-29-09, 12:50 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

when will we see a green AND good looking car?

why are they always mutually exclusive....
Old 09-29-09, 02:12 AM
pooja84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. 2010 Lexus HS250h is a true luxury car. The interiors as well as exteriors seems to be good.
Old 09-29-09, 04:07 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Excellent review, and not having sat or seen the HS myself in person, I would imagine the hard plastic interiors becoming more prominent in future Lexus vehicles, which would be sad...

Next time I drop by the dealer, maybe I'll step in and take a spin in it. Still, $35K to start is a large chunk of change to swollow, but the "eco" friendly crowd loves these things. Celebrities that must be "in fashion" and eco-friendly will eat this car up like nothing.
Old 09-29-09, 06:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am not sure if the HS really has any competition I am sure high end shoppers will cross shop the Prius and HS more than other competitors. The competition has not yet entered this segment and I sure Mercedes Benz will be the first to follow HS lead.
No, right now the HS probably does not have any direct competition, if you consider "competition" to be an entry-level, premium-nameplate car with a hybrid powertrain. Several products, however, are fairly close. The Ford Fusion Hybrid, as I noted earlier, probably is the closest....and will be even closer if Lincoln does a version of it. Given the choice of an HS or Fusion, as I said earlier, I'd probably go with the Fusion....it is that good a product.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h