Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
when will we see a green AND good looking car?
You got it. The Ford Fusion Hybrid. The HS250, IMO, is not bad-looking either.

Old 09-29-09, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Excellent review and extremely educational. It sounds like a typical Lexus in most regards, which is a good thing. It also sounds like a typical hybrid, which can be a good or not so good thing. I'm surprised after all these years of Toyota hybrids, they haven't figured a way to quell the quirky braking characteristics (even with the regenerative). And I am put off with no manual control over the CVT. I hope to see these things fixed in the near future. To me, the ideal hybrid would be similar to the HS, but spark a more sporting experience.
Manual-stage CVTs are generally limited to sport-oriented vehicles, as Nissan does with a number of its products. Subaru, however, now includes a 6-stage CVT on the base Outback, which is decidedly non-sporty. Although it has a well-balanced and well-done chassis, you could not, IMO, consider the HS to be a sport-oriented vehicle.

I do have to disagree with the bodyside molding comment. Moldings are a dying breed and not found on most new luxury or sport cars. No IS, ES, GS, LS, A4, A6, 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, C-Class, , TSX, TL, Accord, or Camry come with mid-section moldings. They mare the style of the body and look bulky and old-fashioned. So I must say I'm glad they aren't included on the HS. (The ones from Pep Boys look tacked on and cheap IMO, like most things from that store). If one gets a ding, it can be popped out for about a hundred bucks.
No, it is probably not a body-style issue. More likely, it's like so many other things in auto design these days.....simple cost-cutting. Eliminating the waist-level molding on the body sides (where it would be most effective in warding off dings) probably saves a couple of dollars on each car at the factory.

By the way, SCRATCH-OUT, an inexpensive product I highly recommend (and use myself), will usually take the surface paint-marks out from door dings, but, of course, will not repair the ding in the sheet metal itself. For that, you need a body shop or a dent-removal company like Dent Wizard or Dentworks.

And, of course, you can always park at the far end of the lot, away from other cars, and just walk.

Overall, great review and look forward to test-driving this thing myself.
Thanks. Enjoy your test-drive.
Old 09-29-09, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pooja84
Thanks for posting.
Sure. Anytime.

2010 Lexus HS250h is a true luxury car. The interiors as well as exteriors seems to be good.
I don't totally agree. The generally pleasant interior is OK, and has nicer leather than some German cars, but, for several reasons which I outlined in the review, I wouldn't consider it a true luxury interior.
Old 09-29-09, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Excellent review
Thanks.

, and not having sat or seen the HS myself in person, I would imagine the hard plastic interiors becoming more prominent in future Lexus vehicles, which would be sad...
The door panels are not all plastic like in some cheaper entry-level cars. They have the same nice leather inserts in them you will find as seat leather.....and the leather Lexus uses, is, IMO, nicer and softer then the stuff you find in many German cars.

Next time I drop by the dealer, maybe I'll step in and take a spin in it. Still, $35K to start is a large chunk of change to swollow, but the "eco" friendly crowd loves these things. Celebrities that must be "in fashion" and eco-friendly will eat this car up like nothing.
The Prius, though, up to now, has been the hot "Eco" car with celebrities. And its gas mileage blows the HS away.
Old 09-29-09, 07:28 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
very indepth review which you are now so famous for
I second that. Thanks mike for the great review. If there's a review like this every morning, I won't need that cup of joe.
Old 09-29-09, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tzu911
I second that. Thanks mike for the great review.
Sure. Glad to be able to do them.

If there's a review like this every morning, I won't need that cup of joe.
Thanks, but keep your coffee cup handy. I can't do car reviews of this length every day, for obvious reasons. First, they take a lot of time and work, and, second, the requested vehicles are not always available locally.
Old 09-29-09, 10:17 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The door panels are not all plastic like in some cheaper entry-level cars. They have the same nice leather inserts in them you will find as seat leather.....and the leather Lexus uses, is, IMO, nicer and softer then the stuff you find in many German cars.
I am not so sure the HS is up to luxury car standards. There is a lot of plastic on the doors which is not just at the bottom but close to the top of the door. I do like how Lexus does use recylced plastic for the interior parts and I do support this but Toyota has been cheapening out their interiors since 2005 and it appears it is now creeping into Lexus models.

As for the door being real leather in certain parts. I believe it is simulated leather.
Old 09-29-09, 10:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Awesome review mmarshall

Wood Trim: $300
kind of an oxymoron when you want green but you chopped a tree to put in the wood

You got it. The Ford Fusion Hybrid. The HS250, IMO, is not bad-looking either.
indeed the fusion hybrid looks pretty good
Old 09-29-09, 10:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
kind of an oxymoron when you want green but you chopped a tree to put in the wood
Just because people want to help the environment doesn't mean they don't want to give up their trees and cow skins
Old 09-29-09, 11:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The interior is definitely not up to par for a Lexus. The concept is good though, a luxury green car, who would have thought?
Old 09-29-09, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am not so sure the HS is up to luxury car standards. There is a lot of plastic on the doors which is not just at the bottom but close to the top of the door. I do like how Lexus does use recylced plastic for the interior parts and I do support this but Toyota has been cheapening out their interiors since 2005 and it appears it is now creeping into Lexus models.
I agree with you that a luxury car should not have a lot of plastic inside, but just the presence of plastic alone does not necessarily mean excessive cheapness. Look at the new Subaru Impreza/Outback Sport, for example, which are not even considered luxury vehicles. Virtually EVERYTHING inside is hard plastic, except for the padded elbow-rests on the door panels. But it is good, durable, solid plastic, not flimsy stuff that will crack the moment you get it home. And it is good-looking plastic......check out this nice, swoopy dash, for example:

As for the door being real leather in certain parts. I believe it is simulated leather.
My test car had the black leather interior. I checked the door panels carefully, and they seemed to have the same leather inserts, in both look and feel, as the seats. I know what the cheap, simulated stuff looks and feels like: I've dealt with it in a number of German cars.
Old 09-29-09, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Awesome review mmarshall
Thanks.

I don't see a contradiction. If you don't cut trees down, they recycle THEMSELVES......and die. And most companies, now, who do chop down trees for buisness reasons, are required by law to re-plant at least a certain percentage of them.

You probably have at least some wood furniture in your house, don't you? Most people do.
Old 09-29-09, 03:32 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice detailed review - as always!

I don't often respond to many reviews you do because by the time I've read all the posts pretty much all the questions have been answered but...

I am curious though, do you feel this car is worth is $34k+ price tag? My initial feelings to this car is that it would be better suited sold badged as a Toyota and at a slightly lower price so I'm interested in your opinion on this.

I've seen a couple on the road and briefly at a dealer and for that price it's hard to justify IMO. While it's MPG is better than a lot of cars, it's not great and overall I thought it was quite mediocre in design.
Old 09-29-09, 04:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster

As far as I know, Lexus has not used simulated leather on any models, but people can correct me if I am wrong.

As for Toyota "cheapening out their interiors since 2005", this is getting tiring. Yes, Toyota hit a low point with Toyota (and some Lexus) models using cheap interior materials years ago with several models.

Now though, Toyota has IMPROVED and continues to improve. The Venza uses good materials, the Highlander uses good materials, and the new 4Runner seems to have good materials as well.

Also the new RX and HS both have better materials and quality than the ES, so that tells you Toyota is improving. The current ES was a low point for Lexus in terms of interiors. Let me also add the LX uses some good materials.

You need to stop living in the past.
Old 09-29-09, 04:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no one has harder plastic than infiniti.

feel the armrest on the doors of the G37. yuck.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h