Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lexus HS250h

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 05:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
no one has harder plastic than infiniti.

feel the armrest on the doors of the G37. yuck.
I hear the plastic in the Genesis Coupe interior is pretty bad.
Old 09-29-09, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Nice detailed review - as always!
Thanks.

I don't often respond to many reviews you do because by the time I've read all the posts pretty much all the questions have been answered but...
Again, Thanks. Yes, I try to cover the car completely, in an overall review, from stem to stern, not just dwell on its 0-60, max-performance, and track figures like so many auto press and magazine reviews do.

I am curious though, do you feel this car is worth is $34k+ price tag?
Tough call, but, comparing it to some of its top competitors (especially the Ford Fusion Hybrid), the answer is probably a borderline no.

My initial feelings to this car is that it would be better suited sold badged as a Toyota and at a slightly lower price so I'm interested in your opinion on this.
If it was to be sold as a Toyota, I think they would have to consider dropping the Camry Hybrid....the two would overlap too much, both in price and gas mileage. The Prius, of course, would carry on undaunted......it has a big, intensely loyal owner base and far outdoes the HS250 in gas mileage. I personally don't care for the geeky styling, interior design, or the downgrade in sheet metal and interior materials quality from the 2009 to the new 2010 Prius, but most Prius buyers will overlook that.....it will continue to sell.

I've seen a couple on the road and briefly at a dealer and for that price it's hard to justify IMO. While it's MPG is better than a lot of cars, it's not great and overall I thought it was quite mediocre in design.
Overall, the HS is a pretty good car, and it has a well-done chassis, which gives both a good ride and reasonably good handling. But, IMO, the powertrain needs work and refinement, both in the engines and the CVT transmission. The hybrid powertrain in the Prius, for example, not only far outdoes the HS250 in MPG, but its CVT is more efficient, responsive, and refined.
Old 09-29-09, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I hear the plastic in the Genesis Coupe interior is pretty bad.
Depends on what you consider "bad", but, overall, the Genesis Coupe's interior is far less plush than the sedan's. The Coupe, however, at least in the 3.8 Track model I reviewed, makes up for it by being a superb sports-coupe, astoundingly good considering its 30K price. Its steering feel, drivetrain, handling, and general road manners come very close to some of the better BMW's....if you were driving the two blindfolded and had to compare them strictly by tactile feel and response alone, it would be hard, IMO, to tell the difference.