Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you feel Hyundai is now as legitimate a mainstream brand as Toyota, Honda, Ford?
Yes, Hyundai is on par with them and a true player
52.17%
No, Hyundai is still below those three brands
39.13%
I feel Hyundai is SUPERIOR to those 3 brands
8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Do you feel Hyundai is now as legitimate a mainstream brand as Toyota, Honda, Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Default Do you feel Hyundai is now as legitimate a mainstream brand as Toyota, Honda, Ford?

We all know in the past, Hyundais were junk cheap cars you bought, b/c they were cheap.

Today we are all aware of their new products, new image, new warrenties etc.

Even so, there still seems to be an issue with Hyundai seen as a legitimate player in the mainstream brand field.

What are your thoughts?

(This is based on Honda, Toyota, Ford, not their luxury arms)

Last edited by LexFather; 09-28-09 at 09:54 PM.

Old 09-28-09, 09:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, they are.

The proof is in the pudding.

They've got great cars, built very well, inexpensive, competitive, with excellent warranties.

My only quick is the lack of innovation. Design is clean and functional and handsome; however, you can tell that it's not unique nor fashion forward. Technology is nothing spectacular; when is Hyundai gonna offer any hybrids or diesels or such? Service needs to progress, but otherwise, the product is there.
Old 09-28-09, 09:58 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(This is based on Honda, Toyota, Ford, not their luxury arms)[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if this poll is really accurate it what it is asking. While Honda, Toyota and Ford are all mainstream brands....only Toyota and Ford are full line manufacturers in the United States. Honda is not and nor is Hyundai however they are all popular mainstream brands.

Hyundai is closer to Honda/Nissan than it is closer to Toyota or Ford but the Geneis aims for Lexus head on.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-28-09 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 10:04 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by pagemaster
(This is based on Honda, Toyota, Ford, not their luxury arms)

I am not sure if this poll is really accurate it what it is asking. While Honda, Toyota and Ford are all mainstream brands....only Toyota and Ford are full line manufacturers in the United States. Honda is not and nor is Hyundai however they are all popular mainstream brands.
Please bookmark this;
Mainstream brands
Honda, Toyota, Ford, Hyundai, Mistubishi, Chrysler, VW, Dodge, Chevrolet, Suburu, Mazda, Nissan etc
Link below to provide proof (but this IS NOT rocket science and is common knowledge)
Honda wins award for "Mainstream Brand"
http://blog.birchwoodhondawest.ca/?p=43
http://www.loqu.com/top-10-most-popu...s/usacars-1271

You look at ANY sales chart, the tops in sales are Ford, Honda, Chevrolet, Toyota...Nissan is 1/2 of them here.

Old 09-28-09, 10:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

close but no dice
Old 09-28-09, 10:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Close and needs to be considered when shopping affordable cars.
Old 09-28-09, 10:11 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

I think they're right there with the big boys. The cars might have styling cues from other brands, but you can't fake quality and the new Genesis (sedan) has it in spades. I wasn't as impressed with the coupe, but the fit/finish of the one I was in seemed at least on par with the other guys. A lot of it their brand's reputation is going to lie on their next wave of cars coming out starting with the Sonata. Good luck Hyundai!
Old 09-28-09, 10:11 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also say close, but not quite yet. They've really come a long way. I myself have not driven any current models but they but would consider buying them based on their looks and features I've seen.
Old 09-28-09, 10:14 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please bookmark this;
Mainstream brands
Honda, Toyota, Ford, Hyundai, Mistubishi, Chrysler, VW, Dodge, Chevrolet, Suburu, Mazda, Nissan etc
Link below to provide proof (but this IS NOT rocket science and is common knowledge)
Honda wins award for "Mainstream Brand"
http://blog.birchwoodhondawest.ca/?p=43
http://www.loqu.com/top-10-most-popu...s/usacars-1271

You look at ANY sales chart, the tops in sales are Ford, Honda, Chevrolet, Toyota...Nissan is 1/2 of them here.

Ford, Toyota and Chevy (GM) are tops because they are FULL LINE MANUFACTURERS and not just because they are mainstream...the rest although are mainstream cannot get to the level of Toyota with offering a full line of vehicles.

There is a difference...Hyundai has nowhere near scale of full line manufacturing such as Toyota/Ford/GM
Old 09-28-09, 10:17 PM
LexFather

Ford, Toyota and Chevy (GM) are tops because they are FULL LINE MANUFACTURERS and not just because they are mainstream...the rest although are mainstream cannot get to the level of Toyota with offering a full line of vehicles.

There is a difference...Hyundai has nowhere near scale of full line manufacturing such as Toyota/Ford/GM
Seriously, what is your issue? Everyone else gets the poll. You are stuck in some weird vortex or something.

This is not ROCKET SCIENCE. Do you feel Hyundai is just as legitimate as the other 3? If not, then all you have to say is "no, I voted no" and state your reasons.

If you have some odd obsession and want to continue to try to prove some odd point, don't. Exit the thread.

Old 09-28-09, 10:22 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no, hyundai currently only has one nice car IMO...
Old 09-28-09, 10:23 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Seriously, what is your issue? Everyone else gets the poll. You are stuck in some weird vortex or something.

This is not ROCKET SCIENCE. Do you feel Hyundai is just as legitimate as the other 3? If not, then all you have to say is "no, I voted no" and state your reasons.

If you have some odd obsession and want to continue to try to prove some odd point, don't. Exit the thread.
Hyundai is a mainstream brand...but they are not on the level of Toyota, Ford or GM. Ford/GM and Toyota are all on higher level than the Honda, Nissan, Volvo etc. Not in quality but in sales.....That is why poll is flawed and needs to be thought out better.

A better poll question would be "Is Hyundai a full line manufacturer like Toyota, Ford or GM?"

Sales cannot determine if Hyundai is a mainstream brand or not.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-28-09 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Hyundai is a mainstream brand...but they are not on the level of Toyota, Ford or GM. Ford/GM and Toyota are all on higher level than the Honda, Nissan, Volvo etc. That is why poll is flawed and needs to be thought out better.

A better poll question would be "Is Hyundai a full line manufacturer like Toyota, Ford or GM?"
Thanks for sharing your answer.

How would that be a better poll question? We KNOW the answer, it is NOT a full line. No pick ups, no big SUVs for example. Why poll something already known?

The poll is legit, now please move on with your personal issue with it or start your own poll.

Old 09-28-09, 10:29 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Thanks for sharing your answer.

How would that be a better poll question? We KNOW the answer, it is NOT a full line. No pick ups, no big SUVs for example. Why poll something already known?

The poll is legit, now please move on with your personal issue with it or start your own poll.
No worries. Hyundai is on par with Toyota/Ford/GM quality and design but they are not a true players because they lack the manufacturing of a wide range of vehciles. Hyundai is like Toyota in the early 90's
Old 09-28-09, 10:33 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Being a true player means being a full line manufacturer. Just like how the Genesis is not really a true luxury car because it not a under a true luxury brand.

Quick Reply: Do you feel Hyundai is now as legitimate a mainstream brand as Toyota, Honda, Ford?