Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile: Genesis 2.0T vs. Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 04:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

2.0T Genesis Coupe hands down but that's only because I like boost and RWD lol..... Civic SI is cool but I would have a lot more fun in the Genesis especially once the modding starts.
Old 09-30-09, 07:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Too bad the Civic SI isn't offered in our country, as for the Genesis Coupe I remember seeing one at Rockwell and the price tag ehh... overpriced IMO
Hehe well I guess it's subjective.

But if you ask me, the 3.8 V6 model is a steal at 2 M (which is the same as the MX-5 sold here). You get more bang-per-buck hehe.

Anyhow, we also have 2.0T units here however majority of the demo & testdrive units available right now are 3.8 V6 AT versions.

Anyways, here are some units/versions available for the Philippine market:
Old 09-30-09, 07:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

2.0T Manual model

Old 09-30-09, 07:51 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

3.8 V6 AT model WITHOUT Paddle Shift (models purchased April 2009-August 2009)

Old 09-30-09, 07:52 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

3.8 V6 model WITH Paddle Shift (models purchased September 2009 onwards)

Old 09-30-09, 08:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

@rsantiago

As of now, the waiting period is now reduced to 30 days nalang (as HARI decided to keep some stock since there is demand naman).

In regards to other features, you can order these additionally on top of your order (since iiorder pa nila ito from Hyundai Korea). For instance, yung Brembo brake package is 100k pesos raw from what I've heard.

Not sure if they'll include the telephone feature as the package. I guess I better ask HARI head office (here in Makati) about it.

IMHO the 3.8 V6 is a neat deal cause 1.85 million + 100k for the Brembo brake package is already a sweet deal at less than 2 million pesos.

The nearest rival to the GC 3.8 V6 6AT is the MX-5 RHT. In this regard, you get more bang-for-buck in this case.

Parang I want get one na rin. Tamang-tama, the chicks in my college/university will adore my ride .

Two thumbs up
Old 09-30-09, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'd rather walk than drive a Civic.

Genesis please...
SSig worthy!

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I have a bit of interest in the Scion tC, but that starts at a lower price.

Honestly, for 22K, I would rather get a base Mustang or Camaro. I might get criticized for this, but I prefer the styling of the Camaro and Mustang over both the Si and Genesis Coupe. It's just personal preference.

Plus, for daily driving and for performance, the Mustang and Camaro have decent-to-good powerbands in the base drivetrains. You don't need to put up with goofy drawbacks like revving sky-high to reach usable power, or having power reduced when you shift too hard.

I would ultimately lean towards the Mustang just because it has less problems than the Camaro, and has been more tuned, refined, and honed than the new Camaro.
Ahhh, those are two very good points.

Old 09-30-09, 09:00 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess the 2.0T engine is probably left over from Mitsu engines that they used to supply to Hundai?
Old 09-30-09, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
I guess the 2.0T engine is probably left over from Mitsu engines that they used to supply to Hundai?
From my understanding it is the same unit in the EVO....so you can boost it supposedly to EVO levels..

Old 09-30-09, 09:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From my understanding it is the same unit in the EVO....so you can boost it supposedly to EVO levels..
LOL, do not want

I dont think you'll be easily able to boost it to EVO levels, and EVO is a dog before turbo kicks in.
Old 09-30-09, 01:16 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Out of those choices (including the Mustang and Camaro), I'd take the Genesis Coupe + TE-37's:

Old 09-30-09, 02:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ LOL I was gonna say, all those Genesis coupes have TE-37s!
Old 09-30-09, 04:44 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

They are both serious, inexpensive, performance coupes. The Hyundai, however, seem to take its job a bit more seriously.
Old 09-30-09, 04:53 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Do we have to pick one? Personally I would choose neither. Both the Genesis Coupe and the Civic Si barely interest me.

The Genesis looks good on paper, but you get what you pay for, and that seems to be a poor overall powertrain along with a cheap interior. The engine doesn't seem to have a good powerband, plus there is the so-called "safety feature" the car has when you shift hard and it reduces power.

The Civic Si... well I personally don't like high-HP, low torque cars that have to rev sky high and make lots of noise just to move 10 mph. The high revving and loud noise I would be fine with if the car had amazing acceleration, but it doesn't. Ironically, just like the Genesis, the Civic Si has a narrow powerband that's not very usable in daily driving, and thus makes the car inpractical on anything but the track or clear roads.

In trying to match the Si's handling, possibly. Otherwise both the Si and Genesis 2.0T have flawed and compromised powertrains.

If Toyota and Subaru really put a lot of effort into the Toyobaru, it should beat the Genesis 2.0T and Si. We shall see though how it fares.
have u even driven either one?
neither will need you to rev "sky high" to move anywhere decently quick. drive normally (under 3k) and you will be accelerating faster than most ppl from the light.

for me, genesis coupe only because it's RWD. it was the most fun i've had and you don't have to baby it because it's so cheap.
Old 09-30-09, 07:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
have u even driven either one?
neither will need you to rev "sky high" to move anywhere decently quick. drive normally (under 3k) and you will be accelerating faster than most ppl from the light.

for me, genesis coupe only because it's RWD. it was the most fun i've had and you don't have to baby it because it's so cheap.
I have a huge amount of experience with Hondas. Driven many, many Hondas, and been passenger in almost every Honda automobile made in the last 20 years.

Sorry, but Hondas in general just don't appeal to me anymore. I used to be a Honda fan years ago, but not anymore.

I have yet to drive the current Si, but I've been passenger in it several times, and yes like all Hondas, to get decent acceleration you need to rev it high.

What I mentioned was a figure of speech. At 3K RPM in a lot of modern cars you'll be flying, but not in a Honda.

Quick Reply: Automobile: Genesis 2.0T vs. Civic Si