Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile: Genesis 2.0T vs. Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 12:08 PM
LexFather

Post Automobile: Genesis 2.0T vs. Civic Si

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature..._si/index.html

Yet another article that has the review saying one thing then the conclusion is a complete "huh"

Genesis for me 10 times out of 10 please.

Old 09-29-09, 12:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice one for the Civic. Even though these two cars aren't in the same league, the high revving motor in the Civic is fun fun fun.
Old 09-29-09, 12:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll take the turbo...
Old 09-29-09, 01:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the Toyubaru has it's work cut out for it......
Old 09-29-09, 02:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather walk than drive a Civic.

Genesis please...
Old 09-29-09, 02:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I love both cars but give the edge to the Genesis. The civic SI is a great car despite the horrible things owners do to them. Hell it beats some of the RWD cars on the track. But because the nameplate says Civic and it's a FWD, all of the sudden it can't hang anymore

I wouldn't mind having a Civic Si for my daily driving while the Genesis sits in the garage waiting for track events
Old 09-29-09, 02:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I love both cars but give the edge to the Genesis. The civic SI is a great car despite the horrible things owners do to them. Hell it beats some of the RWD cars on the track. But because the nameplate says Civic and it's a FWD, all of the sudden it can't hang anymore

I wouldn't mind having a Civic Si for my daily driving while the Genesis sits in the garage waiting for track events
For a relatively low power car, FWD is just easier to drive for an average driver, and even somewhat better than average driver. Its with high powered cars RWD becomes necessary.
Old 09-29-09, 03:40 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulling a clarkson doesnt work...unless ur last name is Clarkson

but yea in this case id take the Civic,

front wheel drive 200bhp cars are a blast to drive esp in a city,
if it looked like this, they it wouldnt even be a contest

Last edited by ndk83; 09-29-09 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 03:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ndk83
Pulling a clarkson doesnt work...unless ur last name is Clarkson

but yea in this case id take the Civic,

front wheel drive 200bhp cars are a blast to drive esp in a city,
if it looked like this, they it wouldnt even be a contest
Having to rev to 6000 RPM just to get the car to move isn't fun after a while. Its loud and crude and can get rather old fast. Some people clearly love it, which is great, that is what all these different vehicles are for. The Genesis looks IMO far better stock and modded. I mean we are talking about a RWD car that can be chipped and further boosted with the 2.0..

Old 09-29-09, 03:58 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Having to rev to 6000 RPM just to get the car to move isn't fun after a while. Its loud and crude and can get rather old fast. Some people clearly love it, which is great, that is what all these different vehicles are for. The Genesis looks IMO far better stock and modded. I mean we are talking about a RWD car that can be chipped and further boosted with the 2.0..

WOW, those looks soo effin sick
Looks wise, the hyaundai wins no doubt

I was under the impression we were talking stock (i know i posted a pic of the Type R, but that was the first set of photos that showed up on google, i meant the Civic that you get in England, best lookin civic hatch by farrrrrrrr haha)

but yea if were are talkin tuned then hells yea id take the Genesis

goddamn all those genesis looks sick, i dunno which one is my fav.

Last edited by ndk83; 09-29-09 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 04:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Do we have to pick one? Personally I would choose neither. Both the Genesis Coupe and the Civic Si barely interest me.

The Genesis looks good on paper, but you get what you pay for, and that seems to be a poor overall powertrain along with a cheap interior. The engine doesn't seem to have a good powerband, plus there is the so-called "safety feature" the car has when you shift hard and it reduces power.

The Civic Si... well I personally don't like high-HP, low torque cars that have to rev sky high and make lots of noise just to move 10 mph. The high revving and loud noise I would be fine with if the car had amazing acceleration, but it doesn't. Ironically, just like the Genesis, the Civic Si has a narrow powerband that's not very usable in daily driving, and thus makes the car inpractical on anything but the track or clear roads.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I guess the Toyubaru has it's work cut out for it......
In trying to match the Si's handling, possibly. Otherwise both the Si and Genesis 2.0T have flawed and compromised powertrains.

If Toyota and Subaru really put a lot of effort into the Toyobaru, it should beat the Genesis 2.0T and Si. We shall see though how it fares.
Old 09-29-09, 04:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Do we have to pick one? Personally I would choose neither. Both the Genesis Coupe and the Civic Si barely interest me.

The Genesis looks good on paper, but you get what you pay for, and that seems to be a poor overall powertrain along with a cheap interior. The engine doesn't seem to have a good powerband, plus there is the so-called "safety feature" the car has when you shift hard and it reduces power.

The Civic Si... well I personally don't like high-HP, low torque cars that have to rev sky high and make lots of noise just to move 10 mph. The high revving and loud noise I would be fine with if the car had amazing acceleration, but it doesn't. Ironically, just like the Genesis, the Civic Si has a narrow powerband that's not very usable in daily driving, and thus makes the car inpractical on anything but the track or clear roads.

In trying to match the Si's handling, possibly. Otherwise both the Si and Genesis 2.0T have flawed and compromised powertrains.

If Toyota and Subaru really put a lot of effort into the Toyobaru, it should beat the Genesis 2.0T and Si. We shall see though how it fares.
What coupe would you pick for 22 grand then?

Old 09-29-09, 04:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What coupe would you pick for 22 grand then?
I have a bit of interest in the Scion tC, but that starts at a lower price.

Honestly, for 22K, I would rather get a base Mustang or Camaro. I might get criticized for this, but I prefer the styling of the Camaro and Mustang over both the Si and Genesis Coupe. It's just personal preference.

Plus, for daily driving and for performance, the Mustang and Camaro have decent-to-good powerbands in the base drivetrains. You don't need to put up with goofy drawbacks like revving sky-high to reach usable power, or having power reduced when you shift too hard.

I would ultimately lean towards the Mustang just because it has less problems than the Camaro, and has been more tuned, refined, and honed than the new Camaro.
Old 09-30-09, 01:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this comparo, I'm going for the Civic hands-down.

IMHO, the Genesis Coupe would be a better bet if it was the 3.8 V6 model.

Just my two cents
Old 09-30-09, 03:54 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven
In this comparo, I'm going for the Civic hands-down.

IMHO, the Genesis Coupe would be a better bet if it was the 3.8 V6 model.

Just my two cents
Too bad the Civic SI isn't offered in our country, as for the Genesis Coupe I remember seeing one at Rockwell and the price tag ehh... overpriced IMO

Quick Reply: Automobile: Genesis 2.0T vs. Civic Si