Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 10:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Interesting point; aren't cops trained to drive in high adrenaline, emergency situations?
Originally Posted by RsSharKy
first of all, i am sorry for the one that lost their lives!!
i agree with those two messages!
how fast can a ES350 do @ quarter mile??
how many of you can't tell that your car isn't slowing down??
i think someone had been speeding a lot, that's why they couldn't tell
don't tell me that you guys never seen cops speeding out there for no reason
i saw 2 cops drag racing in their county vehicles one night.....
under regular driving condition, i don't see why can't someone just slam on that brake
if your speed reaches 60 mph and keeps going up after you released gas pedal
i don't see why no one would try to step on that brake
yall had played racing games, yall know when you step on both gas and brake
it's going to stop

i am glad that this is now a big deal
i might be able to get a IS cheaper now
thanks a lot
Yeah thats what I don't get. I also am sorry lives were lost but I think it could maybe been prevented.

How about going in neutral? Pushing the parking brake and slamming on the brakes? I honestly don't expect someone in a loaner (unless its the same car and they read the 400 pg manual) to know the start button 3 second trick.

An ES 350 is a rated by Lexus as this
0-60 MPH Acceleration 6.8 seconds
1/4 Mile Acceleration 15.0 seconds

According to the call to 911, the "brakes were not responding" and the accelerator was stuck.

The thing about the recall is IT WAS THE WRONG MATS IN THE CAR. You can recall all the mats in the world, if a dealership or a jiffy lube or someone replaces the mats for the wrong ones, it can happen again.

I will say I do notice LOANER LEXUS vehicles do have all weather mats or they swap out the light color ones for black mats to preserve the vehicle so they can sell it in the future. This is a trend I've noticed during the last couple of years.

This all goes back to my reasoning and threads we have that our license tests are just TOO EASY to get and we should really have tougher tests and even reward those that take defensive driving and even go to the track as they will be better drivers on the street.

However, what gets me is he SHOULD have been trained here. This wasn't some random McDonalds Cashier.

Old 10-01-09, 04:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you, Mike. I would like to see the full investigation on this because the story, although tragic, seems very fishy to me.

1. The guy actually had time to make a 911 call while keeping the car under control at over 100 mph?

2. At what point did he decide to call 911?

3. Why couldn't one of his passengers make the call?

4. Professionally trained in high speed driving?

5. How fast was he going when he *first* realized the throttle was stuck and why didn't he use the brakes to bring the car to a stop? Could it be he was already going over 100mph when he discovered the throttle was stuck?

6. He had all the time in the world to make a phone call, yet, no time at all to throw the car into "N" or to analyze the problem at hand? When I was 17, I had the throttle stick wide open on me in a 400HP Camaro. Within a fraction of a second, my immediate reaction was to throw the shifter into neutral and turn of the key. I had no special training.

I can't help but think that this could have been a murder/suicide and the guy covered it up by making a 911 call. Unfortunately, Lexus is left holding the bag.

Perhaps murder/suicide is a bit extreme. Still, something just doesn't sound right.
Old 10-01-09, 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Very interesting pic in post 87. I don't know who/what/where that pic is from, but if it's correct, that's a serious problem if the mat jams like that.
Also, do you see the scrap mark on the mat from the gas pedal. This is a serious problem despite of what some of you think. Toyota need to trim that gas pedal or redesign the mats.
Old 10-01-09, 05:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The problem is not with, nor has ever been with, the OEM carpeted floor mats. The problem stems from improper installation of the accessory all weather (thick rubber) floor mats. The proper installation procedure of the all weather mats require the removal of the carpeted floor mats and using the retaining hooks at the rear of the mat. Some consumers, with complete disregard for proper installation instructions, or ignorance, just throw the all weather mats on top of the carpeted floor mats without retaining them. It's important to note that Lexus has NEVER had an issue with properly installed all weather mats.

If Lexus plays their cards right, they may not be in this recall for too much $$$ (excluding the liability of this specific case). The recall, IMO could be as little as:

1. Inspect the vehicle. Make sure retaining hooks are not damaged or missing completely. If they are, replace them. (very cheap, probably less than 1 dollar per vehicle, and only if needed.)

2. Educate the consumer. Show them what to look for. Instruct them to remove the carpeted floor mats first. Tell them how important it is to make sure the all weather mats are fastened down.

3. Affix warning labels for all future owners of the vehicle.

4. (Last resort) Discontinue the sale of all weather floor mats permanently. Remove the all weather mats and reimburse the owner of their purchase.

The recall is going to be difficult for Lexus because Lexus doesn't know which owners purchased the accessory mats. They are an accessory item only and Lexus cannot track them by VIN. Lexus may send recall notices to all registered owners with a disclaimer of "If your vehicle is not equipped with all weather mats, please disregard this notice."

In the end, Lexus may recall 3.8 million cars but only a few will be required to visit a dealership. Again, I don't see the recall costing boatloads of cash.
Re-read the Toyota press release. It says "all" floor mats.
Old 10-01-09, 05:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I'm with you, Mike. I would like to see the full investigation on this because the story, although tragic, seems very fishy to me.

1. The guy actually had time to make a 911 call while keeping the car under control at over 100 mph?

2. At what point did he decide to call 911?

3. Why couldn't one of his passengers make the call?

4. Professionally trained in high speed driving?

5. How fast was he going when he *first* realized the throttle was stuck and why didn't he use the brakes to bring the car to a stop? Could it be he was already going over 100mph when he discovered the throttle was stuck?

6. He had all the time in the world to make a phone call, yet, no time at all to throw the car into "N" or to analyze the problem at hand? When I was 17, I had the throttle stick wide open on me in a 400HP Camaro. Within a fraction of a second, my immediate reaction was to throw the shifter into neutral and turn of the key. I had no special training.

I can't help but think that this could have been a murder/suicide and the guy covered it up by making a 911 call. Unfortunately, Lexus is left holding the bag.

Perhaps murder/suicide is a bit extreme. Still, something just doesn't sound right.
I'm pretty sure the passenger was on the phone with 911. But I agree that it's pretty mind boggling that a police officer could not figure out how to bring the car to a stop.
Old 10-01-09, 07:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Also, do you see the scrap mark on the mat from the gas pedal. This is a serious problem despite of what some of you think. Toyota need to trim that gas pedal or redesign the mats.
Is that a picture of the ES350 pedals/mats?
Old 10-01-09, 07:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Re-read the Toyota press release. It says "all" floor mats.
Therefore it's not helpful and just a general press release.

The recent Toyota/Lexus document posted by others spells out the part numbers of the "defective" mats. Maybe somebody can translate what those part numbers mean in terms of types of mats.
Old 10-01-09, 09:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

even if i were in a car that seemed to be accelerating out of control, i think i'd risk it and jump out before crashing! and with so much press over the years about mats and pedals, maybe one of the passengers could have reached into the footwell and yanked everything there up and out! with that much adrenalin they probably could have pulled out the entire pedal assembly.

very tragic though... i feel bad for them and also for toyota.

what's next - federally mandated warning labels about floor mats?
Old 10-01-09, 09:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Why not calmly put the tranny in neutral before you consider jumping out
Old 10-01-09, 10:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what's next - federally mandated warning labels about floor mats?
No doubt. Big and yellow and smack dab in the middle of it.
Old 10-01-09, 10:22 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It boggles my mind that he didn't think to just look down at the pedal. I had the throttle stick in one of my cars before and that was the first thing I did before throwing the thing into neutral and turning off the ignition.

Oh, and Taco Kid, there's a reason why it's called an 'emergency brake.' It's for these kinds of situations. It might not stop the car but it will slow it down enough for you to look down at the pedals or put the car into neutral and turn off the ignition.
Old 10-01-09, 01:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
yes yes yes, the e-brake, yet another stopping feature. maybe that too does a Houdini and people just cant see it when they really need it. driving a car is more than pressing the brake pedal at a stop sign, and more than knowing how to use all the mirrors. driving is a complicated task, but its so common most people have not a clue what to do during situations that are not the normal non-eventful driving. i think there needs to be a course for kids before they get a drivers license, and then perhaps required course every 10-15 years, just something basic that teaches people what they can do during emergency situations. i mean c'mon, they have books and videos that teach people how to survive a airplane crash.

but cheers, i was just noting the obvious..... which is basically this. "IF YOUR CAR IS DOING SOMETHING YOU DONT WANT IT TO, THEN STEP ON THE BRAKES AND BRING THE VEHICHLE TO A STOP AND TURN OFF THE IGNITION".

but for some the event may be a overload to their sensory which blocks critical thinking, which leads to accidents or fatal injury. this is why exercising the brain often is a good thing.
It's easy to sit at the computer and state exactly what you would do in that situation. We all question how a police officer cannot utilize his training to deal with an emergency situation, but, the fact is, until you are under that stress, you just don't know how you will react. We all think we will do the right thing when faced with something like this. Even sitting at home watching "Wheel of Fortune" is easier then when you are there in the studio.
Old 10-01-09, 01:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Let's see, now we have 11 pages of who knows what here.

And we still don't know exactly what the recall involves (meaning what mats are the rejects, and does Toyota/Lexus have the replacements available yet).
Old 10-01-09, 02:32 PM
LexFather

No joke, I wonder if I got a speeding ticket, could I use this as a defense.....its not like the cop will check my floor mats....

Gonna ask my G/F

Old 10-01-09, 02:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979

problem with that picture is that someone used their hand to put it that way... i think the actual problem looks differently, with top of the mat going under pedal and other side possibly getting stuck.

i think it happened for me once, not sure what car... could have been MR-S where footwell is small... but happened with summer mats that were not attached properly (and moved around 8-10" forward), it was easy to put the car into neutral and look down to see damn mats.

Many, many dealers use wrong mats, let alone owners who actually put 2 mats on top of each other.

I am not sure what will the "recall" do, make sure that owners are using proper mats and that they are attached properly? Cut mats more so it wouldnt happen despite everything?

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall