Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 07:29 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
When I was 17, I had the throttle stick wide open on me in a 400HP Camaro. Within a fraction of a second, my immediate reaction was to throw the shifter into neutral and turn of the key. I had no special training.
Just made me think of an event in my life a couple of years ago. My significant other and I were having a real fight, and was she ever pee'd at me. She jumped in the car and went for a drive on the freeway. Fortunately, or unfortunately I jumped in beside her fearing the worst (I can really fire up a woman). The fact that I was in the car probably didn't help cool things down even if I was quiet the whole time, so she proceeded to floor the car, and took it up to 110. I calmly asked her to slow down, but she was deaf, so I dropped the car in neutral and slowly pulled back on the hand brake bringing the car down to a reasonable speed; she let go of the accelerator when she saw the futility of it all. Common sense...

The end result was a draw, but at least we made it home safely...
Old 10-01-09, 08:09 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

IS-SV

My car had the Factory winter mats.
There were no other mats under them

The anchors were not attached. The car had been to the car wash and they do not re-attach them (that will not happen again).
Old 10-01-09, 08:12 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my all weather mats for almost 2 years. I love them. They're so easy to rinse off and clean. Mine are still in pretty good shape....no holes in the driver's side mat (even after driving in high heels many of times). My mats clear the pedals just fine and stay well enforced in the hooks. I don't plan on taking mine out.
Old 10-01-09, 10:40 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I would hate to be the salesman that has to explain to a customer who just bought a brand spanking new ES350 that his floor mats are in the truck because of a recall and the new car owner has to drive off with no floor mat on the drivers side.
Old 10-01-09, 10:46 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
a stuck accelerator pedal is no match for a stomp on the brake pedal

do brake pedals suddenly do a Houdini when the gas pedal gets stuck?
I imagine if you stomp on the brake pedal the stability control and brake assist would kick in and perhaps cutting power to the engine.

One good thing out of this is that we will probably see Toyota develop some kind of throttle override if the brake pedal is stomped on thus preventing a runaway Lexus. i hope they work things out.
Old 10-02-09, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
One good thing out of this is that we will probably see Toyota develop some kind of throttle override if the brake pedal is stomped on thus preventing a runaway Lexus. i hope they work things out.
Knowing Toyota, they will probably design a kill switch for the hooks on the mat
Old 10-02-09, 06:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I would hate to be the salesman that has to explain to a customer who just bought a brand spanking new ES350 that his floor mats are in the truck because of a recall and the new car owner has to drive off with no floor mat on the drivers side.
Life went on during and after the inital ES350 drivers side all-weather mat recall in '08 (I think) and didn't effect sales much, if any. This one is bigger, but I think any negative effects will pass quickly.
Old 10-02-09, 08:21 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I imagine if you stomp on the brake pedal the stability control and brake assist would kick in and perhaps cutting power to the engine.

Hopefully we won't see this in the F, because it will prevent mucho fun smoky burnouts.
Old 10-03-09, 08:55 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I took my car in for the fuel rails recall today and this is the paperwork i got for the floor mats

"PERFORM TEMPORARY FLOOR MAT REPAIRS, OWNER HAS ALL WEATHER MAT IN VEHICLE, DECLINED ANY ACTION. CUSTOMER DECLINED REMOVAL OF ALL WEATHER MATS. DID NOT PUNCH HOLES IN MAT PER CUSTOMER REQUEST. SECURED TO HOOKS. ADVISED CUSTOMER OF SAFETY ADVISORY, RECOMMENDED TO REMOVE ALL WEATHER MAT. CUSTOMER DECLINED, INSPECTED FOR PROPER FIT,OK. RESECURED DRIVER SIDE MAT PER CUSTOMER REQUEST"
I have two hooks on the mat, it hasnt moved in 2 years. im not to worried.
Old 10-03-09, 11:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I took my car in for the fuel rails recall today and this is the paperwork i got for the floor mats

I have two hooks on the mat, it hasnt moved in 2 years. im not to worried.
Interesting and finally some real feedback on this issue. Thanks.
Old 10-03-09, 11:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I still don't understand how a matt pushing an accelerator can push it hard enough to over power the huge brakes. I don't get it. I don't really care because I don't have a car that it applies to
Old 10-04-09, 03:32 PM
leescape
Driver

I just checked my floor mat and where the hooks should be all I see are holes. I never noticed before, but I think I might actually be missing the hooks. How difficult are they to acquire? What do they even look like?
Old 10-04-09, 05:57 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just clip it to the thing. i dont get how is this possible unless you stick it on there on purpose
Old 10-04-09, 06:02 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW -- When I picked up my car in Dec 2005 and was looking it over before handing over the check I noticed 2 things. (I'm a little particular with my cars so brace yourself )

1) The screws on the front license plate were too long and the heads were not touching the plate, so I asked them to change them to shorter ones which they happily did.

2) There were no hooks for the drivers floor mat. There were holes for hooks in the mat, and a place to anchor a hook in the floor but no hooks. It took them 20 mins to find hooks for me. LOL

Point is if that happened to me, I'm sure it could have happened to others who will hopefully be helped out by this campaign.
Old 10-04-09, 06:51 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If they are connected to the hooks and fitted correctly, theres no way the mats will reach the pedal. The all weather mat's has a spiked backing so they pretty much dig into the carpet so it shouldnt move. BUT for those special cases where the mats did move, i think theyre just going install hooks(if you dont have them) or install more hooks

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall