Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09 | 07:43 AM
LexFather

Lexus quality has actually improved and is back to being #1 in most surveys here and worldwide.

Again the floormat issue is being done as a precaution. There has been no scientific proof we are aware of that it caused any issue. There is proof there was an issue with floormats before and Lexus had a TSB on them.

NHTSA officials said last week that they needed time to develop sound science and analyze the problem before they could issue a warning. Since 2007, NHTSA researchers have been testing Toyota and Lexus vehicles for the accelerator problem at a research facility in Ohio, ruling out electromagnetic and electronic interference. The floor mat problems seem to lie solely with the thickness of the anchored floor mats.
Old 10-07-09 | 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus is still the envy of the premium car competetion for quality.

Personally I'm watching this thread for real specifics on the recall. Above I posted the CR blog with Toyota stating the problem with all-weather mats. I'm in no rush to get near the dealer since my next oil change is months away and I'd like to see a plan of action that involves more than throwing away my properly anchored carpet mat.
Old 10-07-09 | 07:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So what makes these mats bad?

And what mats are these?

DO NOT USE THESE MATS
SSC 70F Part Number: SSC 7LB Part Number:
PT908-32070-02 (Blk)
PT908-32070-14 (Brn)
PT908-33070-02 OR PT908-33071-02 (Blk)
PT908-33070-11 OR PT908-33071-11 (Gr)
PT908-33070-14 OR PT908-33071-14 (Brn)
Are above mats all-weather mats?
Old 10-07-09 | 07:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Lexus is still the envy of the premium car competetion for quality.

Personally I'm watching this thread for real specifics on the recall. Above I posted the CR blog with Toyota stating the problem with all-weather mats. I'm in no rush to get near the dealer since my next oil change is months away and I'd like to see a plan of action that involves more than throwing away my properly anchored carpet mat.
Well the FACT is THE WRONG FLOORMATS were in this ES 350 that CRASHED.

The WRONG MATS.

The WRONG MATS.

Quite frankly this is the dealership that can be held for negligence. Again the WRONG MATS were in the ES 350.
Old 10-07-09 | 08:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the FACT is THE WRONG FLOORMATS were in this ES 350 that CRASHED.

The WRONG MATS.

The WRONG MATS.

Quite frankly this is the dealership that can be held for negligence. Again the WRONG MATS were in the ES 350.
No doubt. But I wasn't asking which party was negligent in this one incident.
Old 10-07-09 | 02:00 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

I would like to chime in:

The News Story: For some reason, my loaner car starts to accelerate quickly. I realize I am not on the gas. First thing I would do is look down (or have my passengers look down) at the gas pedal. Oh, the floor mat is up against the gas pedal. I reach down (or have one of my 3 passengers reach down) and pull the mat away - problem solved. But this did not happen with the case in California. Why?

Scenario one: The problem was not with the floor mat, but the pedal sensor.
Scenario two: The driver was too shocked to realize why the car was accelerating and did not pull back the floor mat.

If his personal car did not have push button start, he probably would not know about the three second trick to shut off the engine. My RX 350 has a regular key.

Even if he did know about the 3 second trick, he may have been too shocked to hold it down long enough.

If you kill the engine while driving, you can still steer and brake, but without power assist, so his best bet would have been to kill the engine.

He could have gone into neutral, I dont know for sure if this would work, if the transmission electrics would do it while driving at speed or not. Certainly a blown or severely stressed engine is better than a crash.

I personally believe there is a problem with the pedal and the "drive by wire" system, and not the floor mats. I don't see how a mat could cause this many problems, but I may be wrong.
Old 10-08-09 | 02:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see how one recall can tarnish the image of this company. Everyone is panicking and blowing it way out of proportion. I have yet to receive one recall on my car in 1.5 years. Toyota/Lexus has deep deep roots and a very successful recent past (especially here in California). Heck, recalls are down as a whole with all cars. There used to be a new one every week, now it seems one every few weeks.
Old 10-08-09 | 07:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

http://jalopnik.com/5377355/your-new...-crap/gallery/
Old 10-09-09 | 04:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

They have to punch holes in the existing mats to jerry-rig this. SWEET--that DEFINITELY means a new mat will be forthcoming!
Old 10-09-09 | 05:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lol Lexus temp fix is wire ties to hold down a mat for a $50000 car Whats next? duct tape?
Old 10-09-09 | 06:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lol Lexus temp fix is wire ties to hold down a mat for a $50000 car Whats next? duct tape?
oh--maybe that's how they would have fixed the hole in my all weather mat if they weren't going to replace it
Old 10-09-09 | 10:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

because they magically produced potentially millions of floormat sets to retrofit existing vehicles. It says "semi permanent" in the installation guide for a reason
Old 10-09-09 | 11:58 AM
08IS350
Driver

Default Engine shut off by pushing start/stop

Hi all

if i push and hold start/stop button while driving to shut off the engine, will my steering be locked too?
I noticed that when I park and turn off my engine, my steering is locked.
help please. I am too lazy to do experiment. I might do it sometime in parking lot to test it.

thanks.
Old 10-09-09 | 12:03 PM
LexFather

How quickly we forget

http://www.automobile.com/audi-inves...eleration.html

Originally Posted by 08IS350
Hi all

if i push and hold start/stop button while driving to shut off the engine, will my steering be locked too?
I noticed that when I park and turn off my engine, my steering is locked.
help please. I am too lazy to do experiment. I might do it sometime in parking lot to test it.

thanks.
Yes, everything will lock up as the vehicle will shut off.....
Old 10-09-09 | 12:23 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

not sure if it's posted, but lol guys, this is the actual picture after the recall action by dealers

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall