Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09 | 01:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

its a temporary fix until they make new floormats, its not the final fix. Have to do that in the meantime since theres tons of existing vehicles

this whole thing is overblown
Old 10-09-09 | 01:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 08IS350
Hi all

if i push and hold start/stop button while driving to shut off the engine, will my steering be locked too?
I noticed that when I park and turn off my engine, my steering is locked.
help please. I am too lazy to do experiment. I might do it sometime in parking lot to test it.

thanks.
its far better to shift to neutral and brake to slow the car down than turn the ignition off going 100+
Old 10-09-09 | 11:51 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
not sure if it's posted, but lol guys, this is the actual picture after the recall action by dealers

It's a bit of an embarassment and a shame that Lexus is using plastic zip ties to hold the floormats to the seats

What lexus is that in the pic? doesn't the seat anchor have a cover?
Old 10-10-09 | 08:01 AM
CO50
Driver School Candidate

I can't believe that Lexus did not fix the problem relating to the floor mats when they had the recall for this same reason in 2007. I understand that in 2007, the floor mats were blamed for "stuck accelerator" as well, same as today. So why wasn't the floor- mat problem taken care of with the 2007 recall? I also read on the web others complaining about stuck accelerator. I think the problem is caused by reasons other than just floor mats, I just hope that Lexus finds the reason soon to prevent loss of other lives.
Old 10-10-09 | 08:06 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pagemaster
It's a bit of an embarassment and a shame that Lexus is using plastic zip ties to hold the floormats to the seats

My dad's broke.
Old 10-10-09 | 08:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I just finished switching out my OEM carpeted mats for the all-weathers, and as others have said if the drivers side mat (carpeted or all-weather) is properly installed, using the floor anchors, the mat isn't going anywhere.

I guess we need to wait and see if the acceleration problem is due to the floor mat or something else.
Old 10-10-09 | 09:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster

the fix is "semi permanent" for a reason. Sorry they dont have millions of revised floormats magically appear to retrofit all existing vehicles under this fix
Old 10-10-09 | 11:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Don't know if this article is posted and too lazy to look at 15 pages so...

From New York Times

Smart Gas Pedals May Solve Floor-Mat Problem
By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN
Some automakers – primarily European — are using an unusual method to reduce the chances of unintended acceleration from something like a floor mat getting tangled up with the accelerator: smart gas pedals.

If the vehicle is moving and both the gas and brake pedal are being pushed at the same time the computer tells the engine to ignore the gas pedal.

“It is an additional safety feature,” said Thomas Plucinsky, a BMW spokesman. “The brake takes precedence.”

Mr. Plucinsky said BMW made the feature standard on all its vehicles starting in the 2005 model year. He said the system requires a drive-by-wire accelerator and uses software BMW developed. It was designed, in part, with unintended acceleration in mind. He said the feature only works when the vehicle is moving. That means enthusiasts who want to launch the vehicle by revving the engine and holding down the brake may do so.

A smart-pedal system is apparently something Toyota is considering as it attempts to deal with a safety problem involving floor mats that could cover 3.8 million vehicles. Last week the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the automaker urged owners to remove the driver’s side floor mat to keep them from moving forward and jamming the gas pedal down.

Brian Lyons, a Toyota spokesman, said at the time that the automaker was not going to redesign floor mats, but instead was working on something that could be done to the vehicles. He said one possibility was software that would allow the brake to overrule the accelerator pedal.

Oddly enough, equipping its vehicles with the safety feature could put Toyota ahead of many other automakers. So far, smart gas pedal systems are used mostly by German automakers.

Audi, which was badly hurt by accusations of unintended acceleration in the late 1980’s, uses such a system, a company spokesman said. Volkswagen has had the feature since about the 2001 model year, a spokesman said. A Mercedes-Benz spokesman declined to confirm the use of such software.

Spokespeople for General Motors, Ford, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus and Hyundai said their vehicles do not have smart pedals. Nissan says it will have such a system on its 2010 Infiniti M.

“We continue to accept application of the accelerator and brake pedals as representing the driver’s intention,” Chris Naughton, a Honda spokesman, said.

Lisa Barrow, a spokeswoman for Chrysler said “most of our vehicles have a feature that recognizes the use of both pedals at the same and brings the engine speed to idle.”
Old 10-10-09 | 09:20 PM
RXSF

this would have never have happened if toyota used floor mounted pedals like in the LS
Old 10-15-09 | 12:41 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

i took my car to service .... no zipties .. as i took out the carpet mat before putting in the rubber mat
Old 10-15-09 | 12:58 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
i took my car to service .... no zipties .. as i took out the carpet mat before putting in the rubber mat
So what is the recall? Does Lexus just ispect it to make sure it hook on or do they replace your mats?
Old 10-15-09 | 01:06 PM
LexFather

Old 10-15-09 | 01:58 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
So what is the recall? Does Lexus just ispect it to make sure it hook on or do they replace your mats?
the recall is jsut to see if you are using OEM mats and see if there is any obstruction that may cause the peddle to get stuck .. basically if u keep everything stock and remove the carpet mat before putting in the rubber mat your fine ....and i think they replace your mats if you are using some older mats with the wrong measurement i'm not sure

its a very stupid recall ... but theres too much idiots in the world that it needs to be done
Old 10-15-09 | 02:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
the recall is jsut to see if you are using OEM mats and see if there is any obstruction that may cause the peddle to get stuck .. basically if u keep everything stock and remove the carpet mat before putting in the rubber mat your fine ....and i think they replace your mats if you are using some older mats with the wrong measurement i'm not sure

its a very stupid recall ... but theres too much idiots in the world that it needs to be done
It's stupid if the mats catch the pedal when they are stacked (not Lexus's fault). But it's not stupid if the all-weather mat catches when solo.
Old 10-15-09 | 02:11 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

i dun see how the pedal can get stuck at all with the mat ... unless its super stacked or if you didn't hook it up properly ...
to be honest i really think its a mechanical issue .. and this is just a cover up

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall