Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 08:52 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
The carpeted mat with hooks in place or the all weather mats hooked in place are no problem. Placing the all weather mats on top of the carpeted mats create a potential problem. This "problem" has existed for as long as mats have been around. I see "volume limiters" on car audio systems being mandated to prevent hearing loss...
If the stereo system would raise the audio without you touching the **** and kill you, then yes it would make sense to install volume limiters or better yet, keep your fingers off the ****.

The recall is to correct potential issues that could occur without you being aware. If you do something sensible with the mats, something that you think is fine (stacking mats and jamming up mats into the accelerator is NOT fine), Toyota is saying you STILL can have a problem. So they are going to try to mitigate that.

Go ahead, let Darwin get you. You have it all under control.
Old 09-29-09, 08:56 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
It looks as though most people don't have the hooks in their cars. Somehow they are lost/gone? I'm sure they won't replace all weather mats. It would be far cheaper for lexus to give 2 plastic hooks for the holes in the drivers side carpet to hook to the stock lexus mats.
Mine are gone. I got my car in Nov 05 and I don't remember when my hooks disappeared. They come out during car washes or vaccums or when someone tosses them. Missing hooks shouldn't cost you your life. I'm not sure what Lexus is going to repair/replace but we'll find out after we get the notice in the mail and make the visit.

I realise some people have dismissed this and have already cancelled their visit. Their choice. The good news about a recall is Lexus will allow you to change your mind if you later on decide to wise up.
Old 09-29-09, 09:00 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This whole thing is rediculous. The statment is not clear and does not clarify it's only for the all-weather mats or mats that are stacked. So now every stock carpetted Lexus in this timeframe is affected? I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with the stock carpet set-up when using the hook.
Also, any dealer putting a mat ontop of another mat is pretty careless. That is just not common sense at all.
Sorry to hear about the CHP family. I don't think any jokes should be cracked over this matter- people lost their lives. Check that 911 link on page 1.
Initially it is pretty confusing but it will be much more clear later. In the meantime, Lexus is pretty clear about "remove your mats now."

You are correct there is nothing wrong with the mat. The recall just says something to this effect "the current setup could go terribly wrong and you could lose your life. Let us take a look at it and [insert adjustment here] to make sure the risk to you is minimal." That's all it is saying.

If you can't see how this setup can go back, don't you think it's a good idea if Lexus either showed you how it could go bad or fixed it so you can continue to keep believing you have a foolproof setup?

People aren't perfect like you, good thing we have Lexus looking out for some of us. A silly mistake like double mats or missing hooks shouldn't cost a family their life.
Old 09-29-09, 09:05 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Burnaby
They don't mention the LS, but if I didn't clip my all-weather mats, they'd creep forward until they block the accelerator. That applies to almost any car (it happened in my Acura when I negligently omitted clipping the all-weather mats); unfortunately common sense is a quality they can't build in a car, owners are suppose to provide that...
So let me see if I understand you correctly. Buy a Lexus and if you don't use common sense when it comes to the floor mats, you could lose your life and maybe anyone else in the car and whoever else is unlucky enough to be in your path?

The way the mats are designed in the VW, it next to nearly impossible for the floor mats to creep up under the accelerator on it's on so for the VW, lack of "common sense" just makes you look silly but in a Lexus, it could get you killed....is that right?

There's a design flaw and Toyota is going to do what they can to mitigate the risk. If they do what they do, then yes you are allowed to be stupid about the floor mats without causing wholesale destruction and widespread death.

Last edited by kensteele; 09-29-09 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 09:08 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I still don't understand how a loose mat, lodges a gas pedal down and causes sudden acceleration? If the mat were to lodge under anything, wouldn't it lodge under the brakes and cause it to not engage properly causing retarded stopping, rather than lodge on the gas and cause excessive acceleration?

Just looking at the picture of the mat and clip, I just don't see it. Do people just let the mats continue to wedge up the pedals like a wedgie up your underwear and not pull back?

We had the biggest POS floor mats that ran all over the place on our '84 Plymouth Voyager and we just adjusted it back ever so often.... is common sense not at play here, or just plain laziness. I just don't see it...
I bet the ES had stock mats with allweather mats laid on top which were heavy enough to put some weight on the gas pedal. This whole thing reminds me of the Audi 5000 unintended acceleration phenominom of the mid 80's.
The mats in my 2007 IS350 never budge from their anchors & I will not be trading them for safety mats unless I like them better
Old 09-29-09, 09:09 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
when i received the car new i found the carpeted mats underneath the all weather mats, and not secured. once i read the manual i removed the carpeted mats.

so are they going to take the all weather mats and leave you with nothing?

my drivers mat has a hole in it i was hoping to get a new one free
I doubt they will leave you with nothing. Lexus is pretty good and your dealership is probably even better. If they take your mat, they'll give you another one. If they don't, they'll clean your carpet. If you put a hole in it, they'll replace your carpet. This is Lexus, not Ford. Welcome.

It's only the driver's side, my guess is they'll replace mats and hooks and provide you with instructions.
Old 09-29-09, 09:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
The sky is falling, the sky is falling... the funny part (thou sad) about that es350 crash in socal, it was a loaner car from the dealer and not a POV... i'm leaving my 'carpet' mats in, for those of you who are worried, goto the dealer for 'piece of mind' cuz the dealerships ALWAYS know what their doing/talking about...
Like many of the earlier recalls, I'm hoping the dealership receives explicit instructions from Lexus. You are free to leave your carpet mats in, it's a recall, not an Act of Congress. If you live alone and it's just you, maybe you're fine. Other people have families are aren't so stupid as to be cavalier about their safety. We're talking about the safety of others on the road, too....when your car accelerates out of control against your will because you "ignored" the recall, why should other people on the road have to pay dearly for your complacency? All I am saying is wait to see what needs to be done and then determine what the risks are.

You got the recall, you ignore it, if something bad happens to you heaven forbid, I hope someone else doesn't have to suffer for it because you knew better than Lexus. Of course, this is not directed towards you personally, but everyone everywhere who reject the idea of safety recalls. It's not like we're talking about bad tomatoes when it's only your life in jeopardy.
Old 09-29-09, 09:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Whoops sorry, I was on another forum and I was on a roll over there, didn't mean to come over here like this....
Old 09-29-09, 09:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Nice job. I think you managed to insult half the forum.

FWIW, Toyota has been using this same technology for at least the last 16 years - it's in my 1993 Supra. They didn't say anything in the recall about Supras. So, does that mean Supras using the exact same method of securing the mat are safe? I can tell you for sure my clutch pedal has got stuck on the mat after a car wash a couple of different times.

This "recall" is a knee-jerk reaction to stupid people and fear of litigation. Nothing more. When they go to court for the wrongful death suit they're facing for the people who died in San Diego, Lexus needs to be able to say "We're doing something about this." It's no different than the California Legislature passing their idiotic assault gun ban after Patrick Purdy shot up the schoolyard in Stockton. The powers that be have to be able to say "we're doing something about this (even if it's completely idiotic, we're taking action!)"

So, you can take your worried self and live in fear that all of us with a half a lick of sense and engineering background aren't going to fall for this. We're going to continue to run our mats and if we experience a problem, jerk the damned thing back so it's no longer interfering with the accelerator because we have the wherewithal and presence of mind to know there is an easy fix.

I truly feel for the family killed in the horrific accident. I don't feel the driver was at fault, and the dealership is liable (not Lexus corporate) for putting the mats in the car improperly. I don't think this warrants a full recall of 3.8 million vehicles, nor does it warrant the immediate removal of any mat I have in my cars.
Old 09-29-09, 09:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
So let me see if I understand you correctly. Buy a Lexus and if you don't use common sense when it comes to the floor mats, you could lose your life and maybe anyone else in the car and whoever else is unlucky enough to be in your path?

The way the mats are designed in the VW, it next to nearly impossible for the floor mats to creep up under the accelerator on it's on so for the VW, lack of "common sense" just makes you look silly but in a Lexus, it could get you killed....is that right?

There's a design flaw and Toyota is going to do what they can to mitigate the risk. If they do what they do, then yes you are allowed to be stupid about the floor mats without causing wholesale destruction and widespread death.
Before extolling the virtues of VW, you might want to read this from a fellow VW owner.
Old 09-29-09, 09:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Nice job. I think you managed to insult half the forum.

This "recall" is a knee-jerk reaction to stupid people and fear of litigation. Nothing more. When they go to court for the wrongful death suit they're facing for the people who died in San Diego, Lexus needs to be able to say "We're doing something about this."

I truly feel for the family killed in the horrific accident. I don't feel the driver was at fault, and the dealership is liable (not Lexus corporate) for putting the mats in the car improperly. I don't think this warrants a full recall of 3.8 million vehicles, nor does it warrant the immediate removal of any mat I have in my cars.
Amen. +1. Of course the dealership is at fault, but we all know who has the deep pockets (Toyota Corp). It's a 'ka-ching' for the ambulance chasing crowd. Pure and simple. Any personal responsibility for our own safety is slowly being bled from American behavior.
Old 09-29-09, 10:17 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Old 09-29-09, 10:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm staying away from the dealer for a few months (until my next oil change), hopefully by then they will deal with the recall reasonably intelligently.
Old 09-29-09, 10:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Initially it is pretty confusing but it will be much more clear later. In the meantime, Lexus is pretty clear about "remove your mats now."

You are correct there is nothing wrong with the mat. The recall just says something to this effect "the current setup could go terribly wrong and you could lose your life. Let us take a look at it and [insert adjustment here] to make sure the risk to you is minimal." That's all it is saying.

If you can't see how this setup can go back, don't you think it's a good idea if Lexus either showed you how it could go bad or fixed it so you can continue to keep believing you have a foolproof setup?

People aren't perfect like you, good thing we have Lexus looking out for some of us. A silly mistake like double mats or missing hooks shouldn't cost a family their life.

You are correct, but the fallout from this is the public is going to panic, think the car is flawed as a whole, and this will temporarily tarnish Toyota's and Lexus's repuation. I think it all can be avoided if they came out with a better disclaimer/recall and explain the problem as isolated to non-stock mats (a very small % of cars). Why be so general and overstate the problem? If it's connected only to altered mats, then say it that way and be done with it.
Old 09-29-09, 10:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey

i want my free floormats too!

the GS gets left out again.

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall