Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 07:46 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call Bitkahuna. Lexus couldn't devise an ad campaign to drive so many customers to the dealership.
Old 09-30-09, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on refraining from flooring my car, at least for one day.
Old 09-30-09, 07:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's another way to look at a recall - ADVERTISING. it gets all these car owners to 're-connect' with their dealers, it can re-enforce that toyota/lexus is looking out for them, it may well get dealers some new business (service, accessories or vehicles)...
In that case, Range Rovers have one heck of a advertising department
Old 09-30-09, 08:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i can only see this happening if someone put the all weathers on top of the carpet mats, you wouldnt even be able to use the hooks because its just stacked too high.
Old 09-30-09, 08:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I knew all this cost cutting by TOYOTA would catch up to them one day....I have to let my dad know. He owns one of the cars that are on the list.
Have you even began to see the facts in this case? This has NOTHING to do with cost cutting.

How can a voluntary recall that will cost over 100 million be "cost cutting"???

Old 09-30-09, 08:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

“NHTSA investigators determined that a rubber all-weather floor mat found in the wreckage was slightly longer than the mat that belonged in the vehicle, something that could have snared or covered the accelerator pedal.”
bad situation, wrong or improperly installed floormats, people flooring the car, and unprepared how to deal with a runaway vehicle. Sucks
Old 09-30-09, 08:24 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

hmmm...interesting that ISF is not included.
Old 09-30-09, 08:31 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I knew all this cost cutting by TOYOTA would catch up to them one day....I have to let my dad know. He owns one of the cars that are on the list.
You clearly seem to have some personal vendetta against Toyota, or are on some sort of personal mission to discredit Toyota. Any Toyota-related topic, and you always bring up cost-cutting, even when it has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand .
Old 09-30-09, 08:38 AM
mt1
Rookie

I wish I had dusted and vacuumed before posting this video of my floormats.

Fatal Fllormats????

Old 09-30-09, 08:47 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

This only applies to people with all weather floor matts, not the carpeted ones!!!!

I just want to give a brief explanation of what is going on, although many of you have hit the key points already. The crash everybody is reading about is due to an incorrect floor matt being installed in the car. We all know that floor matts are model specific, let me reiterate there is nothing wrong with the floor matts in your lexus. Lexus will be sending a letter to each owner explaining what steps to take if you are concerned, dealers have been advised to instruct customers: If they they feel unsafe to remove the floor matt from the drivers side, and to call the 1800 25 LEXUS customer relations department if they have any questions. Let me also remind you that lexus has never had a federally mandated recall, all recalls performed by toyota/lexus are pre-emptive.

Please use common sense when deciding to complain/raise hell in your local service dept.

This only applies to people with all weather floor matts, not the carpeted ones!!!!

Last edited by lexus ASM; 09-30-09 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 08:55 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

One other thought I had, If my car was rocketing down the highway at 100+ why wouldnt I just put the vehicle in neutral?
Old 09-30-09, 09:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus ASM

I just want to give a brief explanation of what is going on, although many of you have hit the key points already. The crash everybody is reading about is due to an incorrect floor matt being installed in the car. We all know that floor matts are model specific, let me reiterate there is nothing wrong with the floor matts in your lexus. Lexus will be sending a letter to each owner explaining what steps to take if you are concerned, dealers have been advised to instruct customers: If they they feel unsafe to remove the floor matt from the drivers side, and to call the 1800 25 LEXUS customer relations department if they have any questions. Let me also remind you that lexus has never had a federally mandated recall, all recalls performed by toyota/lexus are pre-emptive.

Please use common sense when deciding to complain/raise hell in your local service dept.

Where did the press release say that the recall is for the all weather floor mats?
Old 09-30-09, 09:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Where did the press release say that the recall is for the all weather floor mats?
It doesnt, as far as I know, its for all floor mats. The problem is the the little notch on those mats, most mats dont have that notch on top. If the mats are not position properly, that notch can get stuck underneath or on top of the gas pedal.
Old 09-30-09, 10:17 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the Lexus All Weather floormats installed, by themselves on the supplied hooks, for two years with no problems. Don't even come close to the gas pedal. Again, it is just pure common sense to install something as designed. That's why I change my own oil. I wonder how many mechanics, even at dealers, actually change BOTH O rings and torque the plug and housing to each specified setting at each oil change. Then who's to blame when the housing leaks or threads galled? Guess we'd get a recall. I do believe it will tarnish Toyota/Lexus reputation for what is effectively a dealer's mistake for installing the wrong mat.
Old 09-30-09, 10:20 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

This is not looking pretty for TOYOTA

http://thespec.com/News/article/644740

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall