Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09 | 10:30 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Well that was either a Tundra or a Tacoma depending on the paragraph. I doubt it was related to mats. It was a new vehicle, the driver was 77, and I'm guessing not familiar with the power. I had a Tundra and learned to drive with the proverbial eggshell between foot and gas pedal. And that was with the 2001. The 2009 is far more powerful as it must be to pull the load it is rated for (and compete with the Ford F250). I'm guessing he gave it too much gas as he was not familiar with it, and it was truly an accident.
Old 09-30-09 | 10:50 AM
gyung
Pole Position

I usually wash my own car, but one time I had the inside cleaned. The first thing I did was check my floor mats, because I knew there were hooks. I've had them in the same place for so long they are very planted, and don't budge at all.

I guess floor mats should not cause an accident like this, regardless if they were or were not properly hooked, and that's what the recall is about.

I wonder if other manufacturers have superior floor mat designs, or they just aren't doing anything about it.
Old 09-30-09 | 10:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
One other thought I had, If my car was rocketing down the highway at 100+ why wouldnt I just put the vehicle in neutral?
lack thereof automotive emergency training
Old 09-30-09 | 11:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This is not looking pretty for TOYOTA

http://thespec.com/News/article/644740
the accelerator has to be down pretty far to catch the mat. When backing out of a driveway, it begs the question why the accelerator would be that far down in the first place

I dont even use my accelerator when backing out.
Old 09-30-09 | 11:06 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the accelerator has to be down pretty far to catch the mat. When backing out of a driveway, it begs the question why the accelerator would be that far down in the first place

I believe he was backing up the drive way. When backing up a driveway with on a hill you use a throttle. I have to check the article again.
Old 09-30-09 | 11:09 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This appears to be a dealer and/or operator error vs. the manufacturer. If the mat is properly installed, as designed, this won't happen.
kudos to Toyota for the recall but I think this is the owner's responsibility to check and make sure it's secured properly or any excess overlap.

I vacuum my own cars and when taking out the floor mats, I make sure they're properly fastened in the hook. Like mentioned before regarding taking the car to the car wash, the owner should inspect for the sake of their own safety.

Can I sue toyota if a golf ball rolls around and gets lodged under the brake and I can't brake? Toyota needs to build a box around the brake so nothing gets lodged if I forget to secure loose items???
As a matter of fact, I can sue all manufacturer since none of them have this safety barrier.

I know people died and not to sound insensitive, but this is not a manufacturer defect.

Heck, I should sue mercedes when my vehicle speed sensor/accelerator died at the intersection causing me to lose all power causing me to go in limp mode
Old 09-30-09 | 11:17 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

So any of you guys ever caught the accelerator with the edge of your foot when braking cause you didn't swivel your foot over far enough. Done that a few times - gives a real strange feeling. Never had that problem on other Toyota or Lexus cars/trucks/suvs we've had over the years in the family (30 years of Toyotas). Maybe because of how the seat makes you sit to pedal alignment it is easier to not hit the brake fully and catch the edge of the gas pedal with your shoe?
Old 09-30-09 | 11:22 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

Where did the consensus come that the pedal has to be down to catch the mat?

I thought that if the hooks were not attached, the floor mat could slide in to the pedal thus pushing the pedal down?
Old 09-30-09 | 11:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
This only applies to people with all weather floor matts, not the carpeted ones!!!!

I just want to give a brief explanation of what is going on, although many of you have hit the key points already. The crash everybody is reading about is due to an incorrect floor matt being installed in the car. We all know that floor matts are model specific, let me reiterate there is nothing wrong with the floor matts in your lexus. Lexus will be sending a letter to each owner explaining what steps to take if you are concerned, dealers have been advised to instruct customers: If they they feel unsafe to remove the floor matt from the drivers side, and to call the 1800 25 LEXUS customer relations department if they have any questions. Let me also remind you that lexus has never had a federally mandated recall, all recalls performed by toyota/lexus are pre-emptive.

Please use common sense when deciding to complain/raise hell in your local service dept.

This only applies to people with all weather floor matts, not the carpeted ones!!!!
No--it does NOT only apply to all weather mats. That was the ES350 recall of a few years ago. Look for yourself:

Lexus Consumer Safety Advisory Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal
Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. takes public safety very seriously. It believes its vehicles to be among the safest on the road today.

Recent events have prompted Toyota to take a closer look at the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat. A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death.

Toyota considers this a critical matter and will soon launch a safety campaign on specific Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Throughout the process of developing the details of the action plan, it will advise the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Until Toyota develops a remedy, it is asking owners of specific Toyota and Lexus models to take out any removable driver’s floor mat and NOT replace it with any other floor mat. The following models are affected:

• 2007 – 2010 ES350
• 2006 – 2010 IS250 and IS350

Should the vehicle continue to accelerate rapidly after releasing the accelerator pedal, this could be an indication of floor mat interference. If this occurs, Toyota recommends the driver take the following actions:

First, if it is possible and safe to do so, pull back the floor mat and dislodge it from the accelerator pedal; then pull over and stop the vehicle.

If the floor mat cannot be dislodged, then firmly and steadily step on the brake pedal with both feet. Do NOT pump the brake pedal repeatedly as this will increase the effort required to slow the vehicle.
Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.

If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF, or to ACC. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.

-If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.

-If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

In the event owners choose not to remove their floor mat, Toyota strongly recommends that they ensure that the correct floor mat is being used, that it is properly installed and secured, that it is not flipped over with bottom-side up, and that one floor mat is not stacked over another. Information on proper floor mat installation can be found on http://www.lexus.com.

Owners with questions or concerns, are asked to please contact the Lexus Customer Assistance Center (1 800 255¬3987), or consult the information posted at http://www.lexus.com.

September 29, 2009
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...spx?ncid=12040
Old 09-30-09 | 11:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
Good call Bitkahuna. Lexus couldn't devise an ad campaign to drive so many customers to the dealership.
Seriously? They would use this as marketing:

A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death.
Especially in light of the fact that it actually happened?
Old 09-30-09 | 11:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This is not looking pretty for TOYOTA

http://thespec.com/News/article/644740
Well, for sure, now every time there's a Toyota that crashes, they are going to "look into" the floor mat.
Old 09-30-09 | 11:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
kudos to Toyota for the recall but I think this is the owner's responsibility to check and make sure it's secured properly or any excess overlap.

I vacuum my own cars and when taking out the floor mats, I make sure they're properly fastened in the hook. Like mentioned before regarding taking the car to the car wash, the owner should inspect for the sake of their own safety.

Can I sue toyota if a golf ball rolls around and gets lodged under the brake and I can't brake? Toyota needs to build a box around the brake so nothing gets lodged if I forget to secure loose items???
As a matter of fact, I can sue all manufacturer since none of them have this safety barrier.

I know people died and not to sound insensitive, but this is not a manufacturer defect.

Heck, I should sue mercedes when my vehicle speed sensor/accelerator died at the intersection causing me to lose all power causing me to go in limp mode
If this were the case, then every car would be equally prone to this happening, not just Toyotas. There's got to be something about the length/shape/weight that makes them prone enough to prompt a major recall like this.
Old 09-30-09 | 11:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tex2670
If this were the case, then every car would be equally prone to this happening, not just Toyotas. There's got to be something about the length/shape/weight that makes them prone enough to prompt a major recall like this.
And the billions/trillions of times people have driven these same vehicles and nothing has happened?

We are talking about people that don't know what an oil change is, rather talk on the phone then drive, eat then drive and do EVERYTHING ELSE but drive. We have issues with people texting and driving as well.

I can see people simply IGNORING the mat and just not taking 30 seconds to secure it. They rather get in an accident and then blame the mats.

I've driven Lexus for nearly 14 years and I've never had a damn mat problem. The couple times I did the mat wasn't secure and the other time my cell phone dropped and got propped behind the gas pedal and it was jammed and I couldn't press the gas. I didn't panic, got the phone out, never dropped it again for that to happen.

Instead of some self responsibility, its SUE and BLAME THE BIG COMPANY.

The ES that crashed had the WRONG MATS. The dealership and whatever employee installed the mats is at fault. NOT THE ENTIRE TOYOTA CORP.

Surely b/c it is a "cop" the investigation had to make it seem he was a hero and there was NO WAY it could be his fault. Has anyone thought of that, or too scared to say it? How the hell does a car accelerate to 120 MPH (This is an ES, not an IS-F) and you can't figure out wtf is wrong with the gas pedal? Aren't you TRAINED in panic situations? So instead, its the car's fault. Period.

Well at least people get some new floor mats.
Old 09-30-09 | 11:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979

Do you see the gas pedal getting stuck in this post? and how it could happen easily.
Old 09-30-09 | 11:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And the billions/trillions of times people have driven these same vehicles and nothing has happened?

We are talking about people that don't know what an oil change is, rather talk on the phone then drive, eat then drive and do EVERYTHING ELSE but drive. We have issues with people texting and driving as well.

I can see people simply IGNORING the mat and just not taking 30 seconds to secure it. They rather get in an accident and then blame the mats.

I've driven Lexus for nearly 14 years and I've never had a damn mat problem. The couple times I did the mat wasn't secure and the other time my cell phone dropped and got propped behind the gas pedal and it was jammed and I couldn't press the gas. I didn't panic, got the phone out, never dropped it again for that to happen.

Instead of some self responsibility, its SUE and BLAME THE BIG COMPANY.

The ES that crashed had the WRONG MATS. The dealership and whatever employee installed the mats is at fault. NOT THE ENTIRE TOYOTA CORP.

Surely b/c it is a "cop" the investigation had to make it seem he was a hero and there was NO WAY it could be his fault. Has anyone thought of that, or too scared to say it? How the hell does a car accelerate to 120 MPH (This is an ES, not an IS-F) and you can't figure out wtf is wrong with the gas pedal? Aren't you TRAINED in panic situations? So instead, its the car's fault. Period.

Well at least people get some new floor mats.
I looked at my mat this morning--if it's anchored, there's no way the gas pedal can get stuck under it. But I just noticed a crack in it--so, yes, I'm hoping for a new one.

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall