Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai drops out of shrinking Tokyo auto show

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 05:49 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hyundai drops out of shrinking Tokyo auto show

The incredibly shrinking Tokyo auto show just got even smaller.

Hyundai Motor Co., the last major foreign automaker which was scheduled to participate in next month's show, has decided to pull out with just weeks to go, organizers say.

“Hyundai called last week and orally confirmed their intent to cancel,” said Toyokazu Ishida, who administers the international exhibition for the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association. The call came Friday, Sept. 25. “It's unbelievable,” Ishida said.

The South Korean carmaker's exit leaves just two minor foreign manufacturers at the Oct. 24-Nov. 4 event: German boutique manufacturer Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen and British sports-car maker Lotus. The Detroit 3 were among the first to drop out earlier this year.

The Tokyo show, held every two years, was once the premier auto event in Asia. But it is being hit hard as international players sit out to save cash amid the global market slump.

It can cost millions to exhibit, and even some Japanese manufacturers had proposed that this year's event be canceled because of the slumping economy.

Hyundai officials in Seoul could not immediate confirm or comment on their plans for the show. JAMA is still awaiting written confirmation of the decision.

JAMA officials said they did not know why the company was pulling out. Japan's Mainichi newspaper said it was a cost-cutting measure.

Dropping out now will minimize Hyundai's losses. Hyundai already has paid ¥10.9 million ($122,000) in nonrefundable fees for a 4,300-square-foot exhibit, according to JAMA. Ishida said it's unclear what will be done with the empty floor space.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/909299997
Old 09-30-09, 06:01 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

holy crap ...and Hyundai had every reason to be in the show as well. They're debuting their new Equus!

This is not good news at all but at least we get to see the LFA!
Old 09-30-09, 06:03 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

that's good. at least nobody has to see their fake Lexus' and fake Mercedes'
Old 09-30-09, 08:06 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Skipping auto shows last couple of years is more common.
Old 09-30-09, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G Star
holy crap ...and Hyundai had every reason to be in the show as well. They're debuting their new Equus!

This is not good news at all but at least we get to see the LFA!
From my understanding the ONLY two foreign car makers will be Lotus and Alpina......Sad...

Might as well call it the Tokyo Toyota Motor Show.

Old 09-30-09, 08:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
that's good. at least nobody has to see their fake Lexus' and fake Mercedes'
Well since they are fakes no one would want them anyway right.........
Old 09-30-09, 08:33 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From my understanding the ONLY two foreign car makers will be Lotus and Alpina......Sad...

Might as well call it the Tokyo Toyota Motor Show.
Historically, the Tokyo Show was always mainly about Japanese automakers. Foreign automakers at the Tokyo Show never made huge premieres.

Also with no major introductions from Honda or Nissan, this year pretty much might as well be the Tokyo Toyota Auto Show . With the amount of products Toyota is supposed to unveil, they will be very happy that almost all media coverage will be centered on them.
Old 09-30-09, 08:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota will bask in the glory.

With less news from other makes, everyone will be talking about Toyota.
Old 09-30-09, 08:45 AM
LexFather

Honda will be debuting a small car like Mini size and a CRZ looking 5 door van for consumer feedback.
Nissan debuts the Fuga, our M37/56 and the leaf

Old 09-30-09, 09:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Honda will be debuting a small car like Mini size and a CRZ looking 5 door van for consumer feedback.
Nissan debuts the Fuga, our M37/56 and the leaf
The M37/M56 is not supposed to make it's autshow debut until November/December, from what I understand? Otherwise, cars like the Leaf, or this CR-Z by themselves are not really major unveilings.

With Toyota set to debut the LF A, possibly the Toyobaru production coupe, and an updated FT-HS concept at the very least, all the attention will be on them.

I expect the LF A alone to take up most of the media's attention .
Old 09-30-09, 09:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The M37/M56 is not supposed to make it's autshow debut until November/December, from what I understand? Otherwise, cars like the Leaf, or this CR-Z by themselves are not really major unveilings.

With Toyota set to debut the LF A, possibly the Toyobaru production coupe, and an updated FT-HS concept at the very least, all the attention will be on them.

I expect the LF A alone to take up most of the media's attention .
What I'm saying is it will make its DEBUT as the Nissan Fuga.....Infiniti tried to trick people into presenting the M37/56 first with some computer sketch at Pebble Beach (no real model) and Edmunds has a couple (even badges are covered) to share.

The car will debut as a Nissan Fuga next month and we can finally see it inside and out completely. Then probably at Detroit it is revealed as the Infiniti M37/56 in January.

Honda EV N concept

Honda Skydeck

Old 09-30-09, 09:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

What I'm saying is it will make its DEBUT as the Nissan Fuga.....Infiniti tried to trick people into presenting the M37/56 first with some computer sketch at Pebble Beach (no real model) and Edmunds has a couple (even badges are covered) to share.

The car will debut as a Nissan Fuga next month and we can finally see it inside and out completely. Then probably at Detroit it is revealed as the Infiniti M37/56 in January.
Yup, I can't wait for that as well

Honda Skydeck

Nice concept car there. I like it.

P.S.
I hope Honda unveils the next-gen Elysion in this year's motorshow (but that's just wishful thinking). Still, it would be neat if they debut it there since the RR1 has been around since 2004 so now would be ripe IMHO for a Full Model Change hehe

Old 09-30-09, 09:42 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I'm sure some of the minors will also have something to show as well, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsu.
Old 09-30-09, 09:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Honda EV N concept

Honda Skydeck

Ah I didn't realize that was what Nissan was doing, thanks for the clarification . They did trick us indeed. I guess still no Infiniti for Japan then.

I wonder if that huge gaping grille is the future of Honda front ends.

Originally Posted by speedflex
I'm sure some of the minors will also have something to show as well, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsu.
That's the point though, for the most part it will be minor introductions.

Apart from Toyota, and now it seems Nissan with the Fuga, there are no MAJOR production car unveilings that will be happening (unless Toyota and Subaru simultaneously unveil their own versions each of the production Toyobaru).
Old 09-30-09, 11:04 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Apart from Toyota, and now it seems Nissan with the Fuga, there are no MAJOR production car unveilings that will be happening (unless Toyota and Subaru simultaneously unveil their own versions each of the production Toyobaru).
I think we still have the recession to thank for that. Auto shows will continue to be lean this year. But there are always some last minute surprises so let's hope somebody drops something unexpected.

Quick Reply: Hyundai drops out of shrinking Tokyo auto show