Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production Honda CR-Zzzzzzz revealed (priced, 20k base, hits dealers in Aug)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 08:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
here's a better profile shot....I really doesn't look too bad in person (altho as its been said xxxxxx times the motor/hp is lacking)....I'd still like to drive the 6 spd just to check it out.
That is a pic of the CONCEPT not the production version.

Production.

Pic of not modded Fit

Honda has a serious design issue with these awful giant overhangs and short wheelbases. The TL is one of the worst

Old 10-11-10, 07:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw it in person the other day, it was parked on the street, in a nice green color it did look pretty darn good. Its just that is got a lousy suspension and a lousy outdated hybrid tech.
Old 10-11-10, 07:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it in person, and I can't say it looks good at all. I can't get over that rear end styling, I though it was an Insight when I saw it from a distance . Definitely not something I bet Honda wants the CR-Z to be mistaken for.

It looks decent, but not that great. Huge front overhang makes the car look disproportionate in real life just as in pictures.
Old 10-11-10, 07:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, essentially it is a 2 door Insight. More or less a direct successor to the first gen Insight, which was also a 2 door.

It really does look pretty darn good in person. And even the 4 door insight look pretty good as well.
Old 10-11-10, 07:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree Och, I saw one in person for the first time and I think it looks great. Not super sexy, but definitely not an eye-sore like some people exaggerate.

Overhang isn't as bad in real life as depicted in the picture above.
Old 10-11-10, 07:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, essentially it is a 2 door Insight. More or less a direct successor to the first gen Insight, which was also a 2 door.

It really does look pretty darn good in person. And even the 4 door insight look pretty good as well.
Matter of opinion I guess. The Insight looks even worse to me; the Insight looks terribly awkward to me in person.
Old 10-11-10, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Saw it in person and it looks like a giant dust buster. Best angle is the rear 3/4 view from the side. Totally underwhelming.

Old 10-12-10, 05:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sad part is, I think the car would a huge hit if it had the Si motor....but I'm guessing it never will.
Old 10-12-10, 06:04 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

cr-z type R, could happen.
Old 10-12-10, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Sad part is, I think the car would a huge hit if it had the Si motor....but I'm guessing it never will.
Yes, in my recent CR-Z review, I listed the lack of a conventional gas-powertrain (and espcially an Si version) as one of the present design's chief faults. The IMA/CVT drivetrain leaves a lot to be desired in smoothness, low-speed power, and refinement. But, to its credit, it is the first U.S.-market hybrid that offers a true three-pedal 6-speed manual transmission, which is not only a sporty touch, but also, of course, does away with the CVT's annoying rubber-banding and motorboating characteristics.
Old 10-12-10, 11:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, in my recent CR-Z review, I listed the lack of a conventional gas-powertrain (and espcially an Si version) as one of the present design's chief faults. The IMA/CVT drivetrain leaves a lot to be desired in smoothness, low-speed power, and refinement. But, to its credit, it is the first U.S.-market hybrid that offers a true three-pedal 6-speed manual transmission, which is not only a sporty touch, but also, of course, does away with the CVT's annoying rubber-banding and motorboating characteristics.
the fact that it offers inferior technology does not give it any credit... there is no point if creating small, light, low hp hybrid and then getting beaten by Fit with standard engine, is there?

Put in the engine from Fit and clearly CR-Z will be better vehicle than with their IMA system.
Old 10-12-10, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
the fact that it offers inferior technology does not give it any credit... there is no point if creating small, light, low hp hybrid and then getting beaten by Fit with standard engine, is there?

Put in the engine from Fit and clearly CR-Z will be better vehicle than with their IMA system.
How does the CR-Z get "beat" by the Fit? The Fit comes with a 5-speed manual; the CR-Z, a 6-speed manual.....the first hybrid in the American market to do so. So the CR-Z is already one gear ahead in that department. As for the engine, the Fit's conventional 1.5L VTEC in-line 4 has 106 ft-lbs. of torque.......the CR-Z, 128 ft-lbs. with the 6-speed and 123 with the CVT.

One area where, I agree, the Fit DOES do a little better than the CR-Z is in powertrain smoothness/refinement. Honda, unlike Toyota, has not (yet) figured out a way to make its hybrid/CVT-combination to operate smoothly, without motorboating/rubber-banding......there, you may have a point.
Old 10-13-10, 12:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How does the CR-Z get "beat" by the Fit? The Fit comes with a 5-speed manual; the CR-Z, a 6-speed manual.....the first hybrid in the American market to do so. So the CR-Z is already one gear ahead in that department. As for the engine, the Fit's conventional 1.5L VTEC in-line 4 has 106 ft-lbs. of torque.......the CR-Z, 128 ft-lbs. with the 6-speed and 123 with the CVT.

One area where, I agree, the Fit DOES do a little better than the CR-Z is in powertrain smoothness/refinement. Honda, unlike Toyota, has not (yet) figured out a way to make its hybrid/CVT-combination to operate smoothly, without motorboating/rubber-banding......there, you may have a point.
Again, it is not an good point that hybrid has 6 gears... it means no power splitting device... it means bad mpg.

Finally, a full real test of the CRZ 6 speed manual (C&D)
Notes:
1. Their CRZ is slower than the Fit both 0-60 and 0-1/4SS (9.6 vs 8.6 and 17.2 vs 16.7)
2. Their CRZ had better top speed, 122 to 110 mph thanks to aero handicapped Fit.
Big Note: C&D charged their CRZ IMA battery to full before each run, (see test notes) so acceleration numbers are the best that could be expected. Wait'll CR runs those tests.
3. Perhaps due to better tires as well as lower cg, road holding on the CRZ bettered the Fit but then our Fit gets .88g on Direzzas.
4. Their CRZ got 36 mpg compared to Fit 33 mpg.
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-g...ar-driver.html
Old 10-13-10, 01:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Fit is both faster and a lot cheaper, and seats more people has more space... we come to the conclusion that Fit's engine being fitted into lighter CR-Z chassis would also bring better performance and cheaper price, dont we? And probably have same mpg due to weight being lesser than Fits and 6 speed.

So how exactly wouldnt it be better choice to use Fit's engine?
- cheaper
- faster
- better mpg
Old 10-13-10, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Fit is both faster and a lot cheaper, and seats more people has more space... we come to the conclusion that Fit's engine being fitted into lighter CR-Z chassis would also bring better performance and cheaper price, dont we? And probably have same mpg due to weight being lesser than Fits and 6 speed.

So how exactly wouldnt it be better choice to use Fit's engine?
- cheaper
- faster
- better mpg
Well, I won't disagree with you that the Honda IMA system is not very impressive, especially combined with the CVT. But, for the CR-Z, if you are going to use conventional power-plants (and I mentioned, in my CR-Z review, that they should have at least been an option), then why not use a real Si-worthy engine like on the Civic Si, instead of a Fit econobox motor? Or, better yet, a choice of both.

Of course, it could (?) have been a matter of simple developement money. Honda may not have had enough extra cash on hand to use (and EPA-certify) three different CR-Z engines, like they did back in the 1980's with the original CRX. As it is, they had to certify the current IMA with two different transmissions.