Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production Honda CR-Zzzzzzz revealed (priced, 20k base, hits dealers in Aug)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 03:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, this car is going to have to be very light in order to be fun with only 120 HP on tap.
Old 10-08-09, 04:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't think the vast majority of the two door, hot hatch drivers care much about super high MPG's as they zip around. The famed CRX crowd is more concerned about speed, corning, racing, the aftermarket, and customization. I also don't think those looking for a hybrid care much for shifting their own gears- especially those who get a hybrid to cheat the rigors of commuting.
In other words, this car is answering questions no one asked. In the past, that has normally translated into a poor selling vehicle. Add in the element of the US not being warm to hatches in the first place and I think this thing is off. I hope I'm wrong, but Honda has been on a losing streak lately.
And get rid of that gaping pie hole in front while you're at it.
Old 10-08-09, 06:53 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honda's IMA is bascially a better version of GM's belt alternator-starter "hybrid" system they used in the Malibu, Silverado(before the Allison-based 2-mode system was scaled down from bus size), and the Vue Green Line. It uses a DC motor sandwiched between the engine and tranny. It runs at 100-144V DC. Hence why the low output, unlike Toyota/Ford and GM's 2-mode system which deploy 2 or 3 motor/generators, a planetary gear set for power splitting and a AC/DC inverter.
Old 10-08-09, 07:26 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I I also don't think those looking for a hybrid care much for shifting their own gears- especially those who get a hybrid to cheat the rigors of commuting.
You would care if you were buying this car for sport factor, which this is supposed to be a sporty hybrid. If you are looking to cheat the rigors of your commute you wouldnt get a Honda hybrid at all as they cannot run soley on electric.
Old 10-08-09, 09:54 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Well I guess 4 HP is an improvement, regardless of how small this increase may be .
Hehe

But still, it's better than no improvement at all......

Anyways, we'll just have to wait-and-see for more info on this. Will this make it for TMS? If so, then the official reveal is only a few weeks away
Old 10-09-09, 12:23 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You would care if you were buying this car for sport factor, which this is supposed to be a sporty hybrid. If you are looking to cheat the rigors of your commute you wouldnt get a Honda hybrid at all as they cannot run soley on electric.
But that's my point. Are the sport drivers starving for hybrid technology to be mixed into their experience? From how each have sold so far, they've remained as two seperate entities. A losely related example: adding hybrid technology to the GS has given it extra power, but sales are weak.
Old 10-09-09, 06:39 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

But that's my point. Are the sport drivers starving for hybrid technology to be mixed into their experience? From how each have sold so far, they've remained as two seperate entities. A losely related example: adding hybrid technology to the GS has given it extra power, but sales are weak.
I can only speak for myself, but yes, I do want a sporty hybrid with a 6MT.

GSh sales are weak because the U.S. is only allocated so many of them. ...keep in mind that overall GS sales are pathetic.
Old 10-09-09, 07:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are the sport drivers starving for hybrid technology to be mixed into their experience?
A big no for me. I am glad the option is there for conventional motors.
Old 10-09-09, 01:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
A big no for me. I am glad the option is there for conventional motors.
I'm on the fence with the meshing of hybrid and sport. With CVT's behind the electric power, it's a bad combo. Yet I did drive a plug-in Mini Cooper and the thing felt like a Estes rocket- supremely addicting acceleration, but funky braking. Maybe someone will eventually find a way to happily marry the two entities.
Old 12-08-09, 11:25 AM
LexFather

Post Honda CR-Zzzzzzzzzzzzz brochure leaked..0-60 in 9.7 seconds

http://jalopnik.com/5421650/

Would you drive a CRX successor that'll hit 60 MPH in 9.7 seconds and returns 40+ MPG? We would, because those are the apparently official specs on the 2011 Honda CR-Z. More info, scans below.
http://jalopnik.com/5421643/2011-hon...hure/gallery/3

Here's official specs straight from Temple of VTEC, which snagged these brochure shots:

Length: 4080 mm (160.6 in.)
Width: 1740 mm (68.5 in.)
Height: 1395 mm (54.9 in.)
Wheelbase: 2435 mm (95.9 in.)

Engine: 1.5L i-VTEC + IMA
Transmission: 6MT or CVT
Power (ICE): 114ps@6000RPM
Torque (ICE): 145 NM (107 lb-ft)@4800RPM
Power (IMA): 14ps@1500RPM
Torque (IMA): 78 NM (57 lb-ft)@1000RPM
0-100km/hr (0-62mph): 9.7 sec

It should be noted that the 58 MPG figure mentioned is calculated far differently from our own EPA figures. Expect the CR-Z to return much closer to the 2010 Honda Insight's 41 MPG (combined) figure when it's certified to American standards. Based around that Insight's hybrid powertrain, we're hoping the CR-Z drives more like the fun, if slow, Fit rather than the frustrating Insight. [via Temple of VTEC]

Old 12-08-09, 11:35 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it'll be a good beater but I think it'll be expensive like Fit.
Old 12-08-09, 12:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
I think it'll be expensive like Fit.
???????????????
Old 12-08-09, 12:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Laaaaaaaammmmee.
Old 12-08-09, 12:38 PM
LexFather

Imagine.....New guy in his CR-Z at work...

"Hey u got a new car"
-Yes, its the new CR-Z
"Wait CRX? I loved that car"!
=No CR-Z, its a new sports car hybrid
"Oh, well I loved my CRX, do u know that thing got 50 MPG, I bet this kills that"
-I get around 45 MPG
"Oh, wow...well its probably cause its fast as hell right! My CRX did 0-60 in like 9 seconds. I wish I could get a new fast car."
-Well actually, it does 0-60 in 9.7 seconds
"Are you dumb or drunk or both?, delete my number from your phone"
-well I do have like 8 air bags and these are 20s...
(guy walks away)
-I have ipod integration!!!! (screams)

Old 12-08-09, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on the fence with the meshing of hybrid and sport. With CVT's behind the electric power, it's a bad combo. Yet I did drive a plug-in Mini Cooper and the thing felt like a Estes rocket- supremely addicting acceleration, but funky braking. Maybe someone will eventually find a way to happily marry the two entities.
I'm on the same fence but keeping an open mind.

Quick Reply: Production Honda CR-Zzzzzzz revealed (priced, 20k base, hits dealers in Aug)