Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 09:28 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota Dealer Rant

Well I went to my Lexus dealer to purchase some studs for my car, but to my luck they only had 3( I needed five). So, the sales representative checked the inventory from a Toyota dealer and they had 7. Sterling MCcall Lexus wanted 3.69 for each one. So I drive to Sterling MCcall Toyota. I arrive and I go to the sales dept. In the front desk there are 4 sales reps. All but one were busy. So I stand in front of the one NOT busy, and he does not greet me nor makes any contact. I wait about 2 minutes and the guy next to him assists me. I asked for the studs for the Lexus, and out of nowhere the guy in front of me says in an arrogant tone " You have to go to the Lexus dealer buddy". I quickly reply in a serious tone " I did, they sent me here". He quickly looks at his computer again and says nothing. So I hand the other guy the Lexus business card with the p/n written. He looks to see if they have it, and they do. To my surprise they where 5.45 each. More than the LEXUS dealer! I was not going to argue for 10 dollars but I had to let them know. "Lexus wants 3.69 each but oh well". So I go to the cashier and pay and head back to them to fetch my parts. They did not even wish me a good day( not that I need it). I leave and as I am walking out, I see that the lobby consists of 8 plastic chairs with one TV. All this in the center of the cashier, parts desk. I know its not a luxury car dealer, but their service was not acceptable. On the other hand, it makes me appreciate my dealer and its multiple rooms and its comfort. Sorry for the rant but I had to get that out of my chest
Old 09-30-09, 10:02 PM
LexFather

And thats why its a Toyota dealer and why I rather pay the extra money at Lexus...

Not an unusual story....parts people are notoriously some of the worst, they don't know squat about the cars, don't care to help and just want to browse the internet hating when a customer interrupts them.

Old 09-30-09, 10:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. I love pretentious people

To my surprise they where 5.45 each. More than the LEXUS dealer! I was not going to argue for 10 dollars but I had to let them know. "Lexus wants 3.69 each but oh well".
Not sure why you would argue. Some dealers mark up parts from the cost price while some do not and sell them at cost.
Old 09-30-09, 11:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Lol. I love pretentious people

Not sure why you would argue. Some dealers mark up parts from the cost price while some do not and sell them at cost.
Huh? He has a point. WTF does the same part cost MORE at the Toyota dealer than the Lexus dealer? What is the rational for it?

It should be the other way around. Labor isn't more at Toyota than Lexus for example and the cars are not.

People go to Toyota dealers for service/parts b/c IT IS CHEAPER.

He is not pretentious, its a solid point.

Old 09-30-09, 11:26 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Huh? He has a point. WTF does the same part cost MORE at the Toyota dealer than the Lexus dealer? What is the rational for it?
A Toyota/Lexus part is a Toyota part. No matter what. If the same part number is used on a lexus or toyota then it costs the same for both Toyota and Lexus to purchase them from Toyota USA. If the individual dealer wants to mark up the price then so be it. It looks the like the Toyota dealer marks up parts while the Lexus dealer does not.

Where I take my Lexus and Toyota. The dealer is a Lexus/Toyota split. The dealer does not mark up the parts while other stand alone dealers do. When I need parts for the Lexus or Toyota I buy it from the Toyota parts guy in the dealer....he wears jeans, never shaven, punches things in on his blackberry, has no chairs for guest, no nametag and stands behinds a sliding glass window....oh yeah the parts and service is open till midnight Mon-Thur
Old 10-01-09, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
A Toyota/Lexus part is a Toyota part. No matter what. If the same part number is used on a lexus or toyota then it costs the same for both Toyota and Lexus to purchase them from Toyota USA. If the individual dealer wants to mark up the price then so be it. It looks the like the Toyota dealer marks up parts while the Lexus dealer does not.

Where I take my Lexus and Toyota. The dealer is a Lexus/Toyota split. The dealer does not mark up the parts while other stand alone dealers do. When I need parts for the Lexus or Toyota I buy it from the Toyota parts guy in the dealer....he wears jeans, never shaven, punches things in on his blackberry, has no chairs for guest, no nametag and stands behinds a sliding glass window....oh yeah the parts and service is open till midnight Mon-Thur
Which goes back to his point why does the SAME PART cost MORE at a TOYOTA dealer than a LEXUS one.

Struck him as odd, me as odd and most people will also find it quite odd.

Old 10-01-09, 10:20 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting.....
Old 10-01-09, 11:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a typical miserable retail experience.
Old 10-01-09, 11:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sounds like a typical miserable retail experience.
Not sure why but this has me cracking up

Old 10-01-09, 12:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure why but this has me cracking up
Because as sad as it is, it's often true.

So often I run across people in retail that really don't care.
Old 10-01-09, 03:26 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Man sorry to hear this. I've gotten my oil changed at Toyota and they have treated me nice even in their parts department. Although not as plush as Lexus, the waiting area is very roomy and spread out with a 60 inch flat screen, leather seating and of course. I guess it was just that particular dealer that were acting like douches.
Old 10-01-09, 06:26 PM
amdave
Driver

My Lexus dealer is the bomb - I really like going there, very friendly people.
Old 10-01-09, 06:52 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, from now on, Im only visiting my plush Lexus dealer. Anything I need will be ordered through Lexus
Old 10-01-09, 07:52 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Wow, glad that my local Toyota dealer is nothing like that. Nearest Lexus dealer to me is about 70 minutes away. Parts are always cheap, and 99% of the time, readily available. Parts guy is really cool, seems like I'm in there a lot so he doesn't ever need to look up my name any more to remember what I bought/ordered. If your Lexus dealer gives you better service AND prices, for god sakes man, go!

Though I still have to give it to the Lexus dealer, I walked in there to ask about some parts one time, wearing dirty jeans, a hoodie, and probably hadn't showered; they treated me like I was wearing a business suit.
Old 10-01-09, 09:15 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Because as sad as it is, it's often true.

So often I run across people in retail that really don't care.
Eh, if you've never worked retail before, you just wouldn't understand. Low wages, long hours, crabby customers, arrogant managers and essentially a dead-end job are not great motivators for stellar service. No matter the retail outlet.

Trust me, I speak from experience.

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Rant