Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

September 2009 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 12:57 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe hyundai doesn't consider the genesis a 'volume car' either, yet you and others are 'worried' about it.

i love the numbers publiished in this thread, and the analysis provides some laughs...
true true.
regardless of whatever sales goals they had in mind for GS, they can't be happy with its numbers right now.
Old 10-02-09, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Sales goals/objectives are moving targets:

Launch = Optimistic outlook, 50% of it is marketing to show that the mfgr. has confidence in their new model.

Year one = Revised #'s. Consumers are actually deciding how well the new car does. # goes up or down depending on the sales of the new model.

Year two = Reality has set in and the model is probably doing as well as it is going to and the goal/objective is realistic.
Old 10-02-09, 04:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Canada

General Motors: -23.4% to 23,568
Ford: +24.4% to 16,140*
Toyota: -11.1% to 16,065
Chrysler: -7.1% to 15,804
Honda: -12.2% to 11,272
Hyundai: +30.8% to 9,282*
Nissan: -0.9% to 6,594
Mazda: -3.6% to 6,520
Kia: +19.7% to 4,515*
Volkswagen: -4.2% to 3,508
Subaru: +68.4% to 2,544*
BMW: +50.1% to 2,402*
Mercedes-Benz: +24.9% to 2,248*
Mitsubishi: +18.5% to 1,735*
Lexus: +11.3% to 1,504*
Suzuki: +3.6% to 1,351*
Acura: -45% to 1,127
Audi: +17.1% to 1,111*
Infiniti: -14.3% to 639
Volvo: -6.4% to 508
Mini: -16.9% to 340
smart: +3.7% to 312*
Land Rover: -8.2% to 179
Porsche: +14% to 114*
Jaguar: -24.4% to 62
Saab: -48.2% to 59
Just noticed, Acura dropped 45%, the worst drop out of major brands. Acura is getting hit hard even in Canada.
Old 10-02-09, 07:58 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Ok, here's a link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...now-added.html

Apparently 68% of ClubLexus believes that Buick is a luxury brand. Maybe they're not "experts", but at least 68% of Lexus fanatics honestly believe that Buick belongs on that list. That says alot. You typically make derogatory comments against what the "experts" have to say anyway (especially when they don't agree with your opinions), so what would that prove anyway?

I distinctly remember you claiming that MOST people do not consider Buick to be a luxury brand, yet almost 70% of Lexus fans believe that to be the case. So, do you care to modify your statement just a bit?
Of that 68% only 9% consider Buick 100% legitimate luxury brand which it is not. That means Buick competes directly with Cadillac which seems redundant. Many of us here on Club Lexus perceive Buick as an in-betweener similar to Mercury. Those five people that voted Buick as a full on luxury brand are totally and completely lost...
Old 10-02-09, 10:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here's a link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...now-added.html

Apparently 68% of ClubLexus believes that Buick is a luxury brand. Maybe they're not "experts", but at least 68% of Lexus fanatics honestly believe that Buick belongs on that list. That says alot. You typically make derogatory comments against what the "experts" have to say anyway (especially when they don't agree with your opinions), so what would that prove anyway?
What poll are you looking at?

It says less than 9% of CL believes that Buick is true luxury.
59% believe it is not true luxury.
32% believe it is not luxury at all.

I'd read that as 91% of CL doesn't view Buick as being significant in the luxury car market.
Old 10-02-09, 10:13 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
What poll are you looking at?

It says less than 9% of CL believes that Buick is true luxury.
59% believe it is not true luxury.
32% believe it is not luxury at all.

I'd read that as 91% of CL doesn't view Buick as being significant in the luxury car market.
59% think Buick is "entry level luxury". Did you not read the poll?
So 59% + 9% = 68% of ClubLexus.

I never claimed Buick to be a full lineup luxury brand, but they are entry level luxury. So Buick handles the entry level luxury market and Cadillac handles the higher end models. Entry level + Higher End level luxury = full lineup. So as concluded, GM was the #1 luxury automaker for the month of September and barely trails Lexus for the year.
Old 10-02-09, 10:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

59% think Buick is "entry level luxury". Did you not read the poll?
So 59% + 9% = 68% of ClubLexus.

I never claimed Buick to be a full lineup luxury brand, but they are entry level luxury. So Buick handles the entry level luxury market and Cadillac handles the higher end models. Entry level + Higher End level luxury = full lineup. So as concluded, GM was the #1 luxury automaker for the month of September and barely trails Lexus for the year.
Yes, 100% a legitimate luxury brand 5 - 8.93%

Its not true luxury, its entry level luxury like Acura, Saab. etc... 33 - 58.93%

No, its not a luxury brand at all 18 - 32.14%

Maybe you should go look at the poll again. I quoted it right here for you since you apparently didn't read it.

NOT TRUE LUXURY.....how much more clear would you like it?
Old 10-02-09, 11:25 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Yes, 100% a legitimate luxury brand 5 - 8.93%

Its not true luxury, its entry level luxury like Acura, Saab. etc... 33 - 58.93%

No, its not a luxury brand at all 18 - 32.14%

Maybe you should go look at the poll again. I quoted it right here for you since you apparently didn't read it.

NOT TRUE LUXURY.....how much more clear would you like it?
"not true luxury" is just 1Sick's typical spin. I suppose by "not true luxury", yet still "entry level luxury" he means that Buick is not a full line manufacturer like BMW, MB, etc. or something like that

It was a poorly written option in my opinion. He should have wrote "it's not a full line luxury brand, its entry level luxury like Acura, Saab. etc..."
That would have made a lot more sense.

Regardless, the end result is that most people on this forum consider Buick to be at least entry level luxury. And entry level luxury is still luxury, no?
Old 10-02-09, 11:28 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Buick is a toughy. They are certainly luxury in terms of american cars, but I place them below acura and infiniti when put with foreign cars. Not perceived as luxury to me.
Old 10-03-09, 05:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

My take on the poll is that 58.93% of those who responded think Buick is an entry level brand. Does that make it a luxury brand, probably. The whole subject is too subjective to expect much agreement.
Old 10-03-09, 10:05 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
My take on the poll is that 58.93% of those who responded think Buick is an entry level brand. Does that make it a luxury brand, probably. The whole subject is too subjective to expect much agreement.
Exactly, who cares. I don't see any of us edcuated auto enthusiasts buying some lame Buick.
Old 10-03-09, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Buick is a toughy. They are certainly luxury in terms of american cars, but I place them below acura and infiniti when put with foreign cars. Not perceived as luxury to me.
i don't consider buick OR Acura luxury brands. they're just a SMALL step above Chevy and Honda respectively.

and the lacrosse looks ok externally from some angles, but the back end is AWFUL.
Old 10-03-09, 11:48 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

LOL at all this Buick luxury brand stuff. Just because GM throws in Lexus in some commercials and marketing doesnt make them a luxury brand. Thats like calling Hyundai a luxury brand because they market the Genesis sedan as a luxury competitor.

In a few years we will have a 20-25K Buick Regal based off of the Opel/Chinese market Regal and they were going to rebadge the Saturn Vue as a Buick crossover. Yea, thats luxury.

Im even having a hard time considering Cadillac a full luxury brand. No LS/7/S competitor, STS is no where to be found and DTS is used for livery purposes mostly.

With that said, the LaCrosse is awesome. I love the way it looks on the road (however interior is WTF ugly), and has some luxurious features but honestly, if Buick is luxury then so is Mercury.
Old 10-03-09, 12:15 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
LOL at all this Buick luxury brand stuff. Just because GM throws in Lexus in some commercials and marketing doesnt make them a luxury brand. Thats like calling Hyundai a luxury brand because they market the Genesis sedan as a luxury competitor.

In a few years we will have a 20-25K Buick Regal based off of the Opel/Chinese market Regal and they were going to rebadge the Saturn Vue as a Buick crossover. Yea, thats luxury.

Im even having a hard time considering Cadillac a full luxury brand. No LS/7/S competitor, STS is no where to be found and DTS is used for livery purposes mostly.

With that said, the LaCrosse is awesome. I love the way it looks on the road (however interior is WTF ugly), and has some luxurious features but honestly, if Buick is luxury then so is Mercury.
+1

Agree entirely!
Old 10-03-09, 12:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Mike, dont forget to add Mercury to your luxury list next month. And then, combine them with Lincolns.

Quick Reply: September 2009 Vehicles Sales