Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you commute 50+ miles ONE WAY please chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 06:46 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

i had a 65 miles commute for almost a year. it really wasnt bad as the traffic wasnt an issue on most mornings. i was driving my GS at the time and loved it. the drive was a pain during tax season but only because i had already worked 14 hours and spending another 2 and a half on the road sucked. i would say that if you are going to be spending that time in a car everyday - get a car you will enjoy driving.
Old 10-01-09, 08:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

drive 450 miles every 5 days driving solely to school and home everyday, it is really killing me I have considered getting a different car, but the es already has 120k miles and averages 24 mpg. But the drive is awful, rush hour traffic in the morning, almost makes me miss the bus
Old 10-01-09, 08:24 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About 15 years ago, I was doing about 52 miles one way, from Queens to Morristown. This won't mean anything to you down south, but those here in NJ/NY know the distance and traffic I'm going to be talking about.

I would start off from Queens around 6:30am to pick up my first carpool friend who lived the opposite way to work about five miles. Then we would hook back to my original starting point to pick up two more people at 7:00am. Then we'd hope on the "Grand" Central Parkway, to BQE, over the Williamsburg bridge, through downtown Manhattan (Chinatown), then Holland Tunnel, onto 1&9 Polasky Skyway, 78 west, 24west, then exit 2B to Morristown. On a good day (holiday with no one around), I'd get there about 8:15. On a bad day, about 8:55 to log in for 9:00.

Evenings was the reverse, but with about 20 min. added for the Holland Tunnel because going back in NYC there is a toll. So, I leave at 5:00 to get home about 6:45-7:30.

Why do you ask about 50 mile commutes?
Old 10-02-09, 04:46 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please post your thoughts on a long commute to work, 50 plus miles ONE WAY....

Thanks
I had to several times in my early career.

Mine was all freeway and I drove a few hours before or after rush hour.

I love to drive and I usually do all my thinking while driving and listening to music so long drives never bothered me.
Old 10-02-09, 04:48 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points so far.....I don't mind a highway commute and if its against traffic....getting stuck in traffic is not an option.....

I'm curious about driving a "beater" vs a newer vehicle......
Beater with a decent radio.....
Old 10-02-09, 06:05 AM
LexFather

Thanks everyone for their comments!

Old 10-02-09, 01:10 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

For over a year I made a daily, 250 mile round trip commute to a few communities we were building. The only way I was able to make that drive was to take off very early in the morning and return late at night, after traffic. As you can imagine, it's tough driving that much.

One thing I did notice was that, even over the course of that year, I could tell that there was more and more traffic on the road. I'll bet that commute will take much longer today than it did a few years ago. I believe that as traffic worsens, we'll see a shift towards living and working within a closer proximity; living in the boonies and working in the city will become impossible (at least in Southern California). It's inevitable.
Old 10-02-09, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

also, summer and winter time makes difference too. summer has less cars (no students) vs other school days. i like driving in the summer coz' there are less cars. for whatever reason, during winter time there are more traffic for me @_@
Old 10-02-09, 02:08 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points so far.....I don't mind a highway commute and if its against traffic....getting stuck in traffic is not an option.....

It depends if your beater can also be a fun car at the same time.

I commute about 30 miles each way to work. There's some traffic, but it's survivable.

When I first got my 3GS, I drove it to work every day. Sure it's comfy, but I rack up 2k miles a month doing that. Then I started rotating my miata into the commute, and now I almost drive the miata exclusively to work. Makes the commute more fun instead of just rolling to work and home...
Old 10-02-09, 09:04 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Same here. I don't mind driving a little over 50 miles one way to my office. I live in SoCal and everyone but me drives into Los Angeles and I go the opposite way...nice...that's why I have the number of miles on my 1996 ES...
Old 10-02-09, 10:06 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I recently quit my job but I would have to drive from Hacienda Heights, CA to Laguna Niguel, I knew I couldn't do it everyday so I just got an apartment at the beach. I could walk to work and the beach, so that was awesome but I hate driving, I was usually never in traffic, until I got local but I hated the commute.

It's just annoying to have to be confined in a car for so long, thank goodness it was in my GS though...! very pleasant for long drives.

total one way commute, 54, 47 if I cut a little into the mountain from 60 go 57s freeways.

Last edited by G Star; 10-02-09 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 12:48 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to see patients at a prison . It was 82 miles each way. I used to do 164 miles round trip 3 days a week. My 2003 G35 had 138K on the engine when I dumped it. The VQ is a solid motor IMO.
Old 10-03-09, 08:04 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I had a 51 mile one way commute once before, lucky for me the highway was 1 mile from the house, and the workplace was 1 mile off the same highway

It only takes 55 mins each way.
Old 10-03-09, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks everyone for their comments!
I probably shouldn't have gotten in at all, Mike. I just now noticed the thread was for 50 miles one-way, not round trip. I've never gone to work that far just one-way....but I did 25 miles one way for many years.
Old 10-03-09, 11:33 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, for us close to home, where exactly would this commute be?

I did Conyers to Marietta for a couple months and lawd, I almost lost my mind....

Now, I do roughly 35 miles one way....but it adds up quick on the dash...

Quick Reply: If you commute 50+ miles ONE WAY please chime in...