Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you commute 50+ miles ONE WAY please chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 02:02 PM
LexFather

Question If you commute 50+ miles ONE WAY please chime in...

Please post your thoughts on a long commute to work, 50 plus miles ONE WAY....

Thanks

Old 10-01-09, 02:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for about 9 months, my wife and i commute 120 miles a day. i drive 25 miles to drop her off, and then i drive for another 35 miles to work. vise versa picking her up after work

to me, the commute was actually ok, didn't really feel it. i think as long as traffic isn't bad i don't have much issue with it. with reasonable traffic, 50 miles is like 50 mins? we left home around 8:30 in the morning and usually i got to my office around 9:35
Old 10-01-09, 02:10 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think there need to be some differences as well. 50+ miles on a clear highway might take a while, but it's not that draining... however slugging 25+ miles in traffic, can be worse.

I personally wouldn't mind an hour drive to work, if it was actually driving 60+ mph. But if it's an hour sitting in stop and go with an avg speed <30 mph, heck no.
Old 10-01-09, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I used to drive 50 miles round trip, every day, from Vienna, VA to Silver Spring, Md, in the traffic-clogged D.C. area, back before the Metro Subway lines were finished. The subway changed everything for me, as my house was less than 2 miles from the nearest station. I then decided to use mass transit for work and use my own car for my own purposes, not the Government's. That became even more the case, of course, when I retired.

Of course, there are a lot of people who, in today's economy, have to take what jobs they can get, even if it is 50 or more miles from home, and there is no mass transit close by. And, to move closer to the job would require selling off a home...or finding a new one, and going right back into debt. For a lot of people, it is simpler and easier just to drive a long distance to work in a small, reliable gas-stingy commuter car or hybrid. I get a lot of requests for advice on buying small, commuter cars like this. Several of the people I've dealt with (including co-workers and ex-co-workers) have bought new Hyundai Accents or Kia Rios for long commutes and have been very pleased with them. They get almost the same mileage that some small hybrids do, and are much cheaper to buy.
Old 10-01-09, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Good points so far.....I don't mind a highway commute and if its against traffic....getting stuck in traffic is not an option.....

I'm curious about driving a "beater" vs a newer vehicle......

Old 10-01-09, 02:23 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For me 50+ miles each way is waste of my time even w/o traffic. You're on the road 2 hours each day 5 times a week. Life's too short for that. Unless of course you enjoy driving so much.
Old 10-01-09, 02:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My internship is one year and I will be commuting 50 miles one way, 60% of which will be in traffic. It also looks like I will be working at this place after I finish my M.A., at which point I will probably be looking for a new car. My id craves a WRX and has for sometime, but given the horrible stop and go traffic a Prius would flat out make the most sense. I hate to give up my stick shift though.
Old 10-01-09, 02:26 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good points so far.....I don't mind a highway commute and if its against traffic....getting stuck in traffic is not an option.....

Or a cheap motorcycle.
Old 10-01-09, 02:28 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Here's my thought on the beater vs the newer vehicle. I commute with my IS. It's only 20 miles one way but with traffic it could easily take an hour or more. The woman has a Yaris and it would probably be more economical for me to commute with her car and have her take mine for her 3 mile drive. But, if I'm going to be in the car for a prolonged period of time I want to be comfortable and damnit my IS is comfy
Old 10-01-09, 02:42 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a 30 mile (each way) commute that took anywhere from 35 to 60 minutes. That was bad enough. If I had to do 50+ miles, especially at about the same average rate of speed as my aforementioned commute, I'd be ready to quit no matter how great the job was otherwise. Life's too short to be spending 2 to 3.5 hours a day sitting in a car going back and forth to work. I mean seriously, add in a 9 hour day at work and what do you have left for your actual life? Do you only want to live Saturday and Sunday?
Old 10-01-09, 03:21 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to commute 52 miles each way but it was short term lasting about 2 or 3 months. Although it was all highway, it still did bother me that I was putting all that mileage on. Obviously I would have to fill up twice a week. I know of I were to commute 35 miles plus or so, I would get a beater.
Old 10-01-09, 03:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

believe me, it will make a difference. a few times during that stretch, we were driving this real beater 95 accord, i won't go as far as saying it's a torture, but i couldn't wait to get back into my gs.

a nicer car, quieter, you feel more "private" and better audio helps relax yourself. moreover, the much need power comes in handy when you just want to get ahead that little bit

that's why i didn't think twice before using the gs350 most of the time during that long commute stretch. racked up 30k miles in one year
Old 10-01-09, 04:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was driving about 22 miles one way back in 04, but the commute consisted of the crappiest roads, infested with traffic, trucks, buses, road construction, potholes and schools. I hated every second of it.
Old 10-01-09, 05:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but never had a commute over 23 miles one-way.

I do find it interesting hearing from people that have actually done long commutes.
Old 10-01-09, 05:55 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
But, if I'm going to be in the car for a prolonged period of time I want to be comfortable and damnit my IS is comfy
Yep. If you're ever going to drive that long, 5x week, 4 weeks in a year, 12 months a year, you better be in a comfortable car-your back will thank you for it

Don't take your health for granted.
Unless it's a lease (the reason for not racking up the excesssive mileage), then what's the purpose of having a comfortable let alone safer to car drive while it sits in the driveway and to torture yourself?

Quick Reply: If you commute 50+ miles ONE WAY please chime in...