Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wow. The IS250 AWD has really grown on me

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 09:07 AM
LexFather

Agree to disagree and lets move on so posts are not deleted. THanks!

Old 10-05-09, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
but when I see someone post something like "BMW handling is so superior because IS250AWD feels like a slug compared to my 335 and people only buy it for the badge" it makes me wanna reply with something equally obnoxious.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
]Agree to disagree and lets move on so posts are not deleted. THanks!

I've avoided getting in this arguement until now, but I think a point needs to be made.

First of all, let's compare apples with apples, and oranges with oranges. An IS250AWD is bound to feel sluggish compared to a 335.....come on, that's just common sense, and the laws of physics. An IS250 is only running a little over 200 HP, with 184 ft-lbs. of torque. That is hooked to the drag and weight of both an automatic (manuals aren't available on the AWD) and the AWD hardware itself, which slows it down even more. The 335, on the other hand, has more displacement, twin turbos, 305 HP, 305 ft-lbs. of torque, the choice of a manual or automatic, and, of course, the 335xi AWD option (which would be my first choice among all BMWs). If you're going to compare the IS250AWD directly with a BMW, it would obviously have to be against a BMW 325 or 328, preferably with automatic and the xi AWD, if available....that would be a far more even match.

Then, of course, there is the matter of "feel", which, of course, is an individual preference. While Lexus products, of course, have many things going for them, most auto enthusiasts feel (and I agree) that few cars can match the steering/handling "feel" of a BMW.....they are simply in a class by themselves. BMW engineers seem have to have a magical touch with steering gear, suspension, and chassis. They combine ride, handling,and feel better than almost any other cars, though some Porsches, C63/E63 AMG Mercedes, and the new Hyundai Genesis 3.8L Track Coupe come very close.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 12:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've avoided getting in this arguement until now, but I think a point needs to be made.

First of all, let's compare apples with apples, and oranges with oranges. An IS250AWD is bound to feel sluggish compared to a 335.....come on, that's just common sense, and the laws of physics. An IS250 is only running a little over 200 HP, with 184 ft-lbs. of torque. That is hooked to the drag and weight of both an automatic (manuals aren't available on the AWD) and the AWD hardware itself, which slows it down even more. The 335, on the other hand, has more displacement, twin turbos, 305 HP, 305 ft-lbs. of torque, the choice of a manual or automatic, and, of course, the 335xi AWD option (which would be my first choice among all BMWs). If you're going to compare the IS250AWD directly with a BMW, it would obviously have to be against a BMW 325 or 328, preferably with automatic and the xi AWD, if available....that would be a far more even match.

Then, of course, there is the matter of "feel", which, of course, is an individual preference. While Lexus products, of course, have many things going for them, most auto enthusiasts feel (and I agree) that few cars can match the steering/handling "feel" of a BMW.....they are simply in a class by themselves. BMW engineers seem have to have a magical touch with steering gear, suspension, and chassis. They combine ride, handling,and feel better than almost any other cars, though some Porsches, C63/E63 AMG Mercedes, and the new Hyundai Genesis 3.8L Track Coupe come very close.
Thanks for the post, and I do agree that Lexus still has some work to do with retards to the steering feel of their models, although I do feel they made a huge improvement recently. I had a chance to drive IS350c with F sports package, and its steering clearly felt even more confidence inspiring than sedan, which is almost unheard of for convertibles.