Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 10:25 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Hyundai really IMO is the only company right now that is competing with toyota and Infiniti.. THere was just a recent article in R&T or MT with the Genesis coupe and G35 coupe.. The G35 i believe won the track comparison bt not by much.. THe Genesis received higher number in the aesthetics catagory..

So Yes.. Toyota should worry. If Hyundai stays on track like what they did with the Genesis than we should expect greater vehicles in the future.
I have to agree. It seems to me as if the American companies are really competing amongst themselves because they don't really offer anything up to par with what the Japanese are offering, at a more advantageous price.
Old 10-02-09, 10:34 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That Suzuki concept looks amazing! Thats what I thought the next gen GS might look like.
mmarshal : I agree 100%. I think Ford & Hyundai will be a threat to Big 3 japanese corps. I've said this before. Hyundai's new Sonata,Genesis,sedan & coupe,& the Equus will only make Lexus stronger!! Toyota will respond with an even better cars & better build quality. The consumers win !!!!
I just hope they build a great GS!
Old 10-02-09, 10:39 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I have to agree. It seems to me as if the American companies are really competing amongst themselves because they don't really offer anything up to par with what the Japanese are offering, at a more advantageous price.
Look at Ford and Buick two top american companies trying to make a comeback. Ford i beleive is on the right track with the Fusion Sport and SHO.. Not many car makers can compete with the SHO except IS-F and AMG Mercedes for pound for pound and HP numbers..

Ford has decent cars.. The mustang is probably their number one seller for Ford and the only car keeping them above water..

When it come to quality Japanese is number 1.. You agree..
Old 10-02-09, 11:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Ford has decent cars.. The mustang is probably their number one seller for Ford and the only car keeping them above water..
Uh..........That would be the Taurus and the Fusion, definitely not the Mustang.
Old 10-02-09, 04:14 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Japanese saw how Samsung & LG became the world power less than two decade. Just think about this fact. Samsung outsells Sony in almost all category. just 15 years ago, you couldn't mention samsung and sony in a same sentence.
Old 10-02-09, 04:16 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

by the way Hyundai is 4th largest, not 5th. IN U.S, I think hyundai will pass Nissan in sales within next 3 years.
Old 10-03-09, 12:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Hyundai is killing it. I am impressed. Not 60K on a luxury car impressed but impressed
Old 10-03-09, 04:20 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as much as i hate hyundai's copying other luxury cars.........

i hope it creates the impetus for other car makers to make better cars in order to separate themselves from hyundai.

hyundai copies LS
next step = lexus needs to up the ante.
Old 10-03-09, 08:52 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I'll hand it to Hyundai, there giving Toyota, Honda a wake up call. As for the Genesis Coupe even though it's a flat copy-cat of the G35 coupe at least Hyundai is offering something for us enthusiast, I wonder what in the heck is taking the Toyota/Sub RWD concept so long, can't they rush this car into the market already.
Old 10-03-09, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
That being said I'm looking forward to the Suzuki Kizashi, even though they decided not to stick to the concept pictures which looked absolutely astonishing.
Suzuki's problem, though, is that they have got to get some dealers......they are not going to overtake anyone if you have to drive 100 miles just to see and buy their products. There just doesn't seem to be any sales outlets anymore. Even in the high-income, auto-rich D.C. area, which has probably more dealerships in the U.S. than anyplace outside of Southern California, Suzuki shops are almost extinct. There were only two of them, a few years ago, within any kind of reasonable driving distance from my place, and now they are gone.
Old 10-03-09, 09:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

no surprises here, but if japanese companies have only realized this recently it's already too late.

and on the heels of hyundai will come the chinese and indian companies.

i predict chrysler will be gone except jeep in 5 years, and gm will continue to shrink despite all the hoopla.

only the paranoid and manic will survive.
Old 10-03-09, 03:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
I'll hand it to Hyundai, there giving Toyota, Honda a wake up call. As for the Genesis Coupe even though it's a flat copy-cat of the G35 coupe at least Hyundai is offering something for us enthusiast, I wonder what in the heck is taking the Toyota/Sub RWD concept so long, can't they rush this car into the market already.
If they were to rush it to market, people would complain about the quality issues, and flaws that would be bound to be there when a product is rushed to market, and then Toyota would get lots of criticism for not taking it's time and doing the product right .

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no surprises here, but if japanese companies have only realized this recently it's already too late.

and on the heels of hyundai will come the chinese and indian companies.

i predict chrysler will be gone except jeep in 5 years, and gm will continue to shrink despite all the hoopla.

only the paranoid and manic will survive.
Very good points, and something enthusiasts do not understand. Hyundai has to worry about Chinese and Indian automakers just as much as Toyota has to worry about Hyundai.

Toyota has a long-standing reputation of being very paranoid, and I don't see them changing their ways anytime soon. As long as Toyota remains paranoid, they should remain competitively strong in the future.
Old 10-03-09, 05:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hyundai is indeed serious competition to Japanese manufacturers now, but, IMO, Ford will soon also be. Many Ford products, like what we've seen at Hyundai, are showing signs of marked quality improvement. The Fusion Hybrid, for example, is probably the best American-badged vehicle I have seen in many years.....with the Chevy Malibu not far behind. Ford, not surprisingly, unlike GM and Chrysler, so far has gotten through this recession without any Government money or takeovers.
I totally agree. Ford will be very competitive with new models like the Fiesta and Euro Focus coming to the states. Not to mention a revamped Explorer and new engines in the corporate pipeline. I'm excited!
Old 10-03-09, 05:52 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

It's a nice car and all but comparing the SHO, pound for pound, with the IS F and the C63 AMG from Mercedes is like comparing a hippopotamus with a cheetah and a lion. The SHO is fast but it's still subpar for a twin-turbo car - it is far too large. Ford would have probably hit the mark (even more) on the SHO by putting the same engine in a Fusion (and thus avoiding those not buying the car because of the name 'Taurus') and slapping in a Ford PowerShift (DSG-like) sequential transmission in there instead of the crappy flippy-paddled SelectShift. The SHO is a lot of car for the money but, for me, a bit too much.

Buick will only get back in the game if it put a CTS-V's supercharged engine into a Camaro and called it the Gran National.
Old 10-03-09, 07:40 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rsantiago

I fail to see how Gen coupe is a flat copy cat of the G35coupe. definitely the inspiration came from G35, but it's hardly a copy.

Quick Reply: Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat