Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 09:39 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder when Samsumg will bring their cars over. There were some pretty nice ones on the road when I took a tour there
Old 10-04-09, 02:53 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I wonder when Samsumg will bring their cars over. There were some pretty nice ones on the road when I took a tour there
Renault has a 70% stake in Samsung Motors... they're pretty much rebadged, JDM Nissans.
Old 10-04-09, 03:15 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I work for Hyundai!!! (still debating if I should get a Gen coupe 3.8, but I love Lex/Toyota too much)

I knew they would eventually come up and try to compete with all the Japanese automakers.

Last edited by Rollin'ES3; 10-04-09 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 04:07 PM
LexFather

Is a sub Genesis coupe car coming still?

Old 10-04-09, 04:10 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think so, I have heard rumors about a modified version coming out from some of the Field techs that come to our dealership. That's about it for now
Old 10-04-09, 04:11 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think so, with the elimination of the Tiburon. But hopefully we see a V8 Genesis Coupe some time in the next couple of years.
Old 10-04-09, 04:12 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Renault has a 70% stake in Samsung Motors... they're pretty much rebadged, JDM Nissans.
Ahh, I never knew that. Good to know
Old 10-05-09, 01:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Honda Chief " Hyundai is awesome "

Japan's automakers know a threat when they see one, and based on their words, it sure isn't in Michigan. Motown is fleeting image in the Japanese carmakers' rearview mirrors, which they're now nervously checking for a budding South Korean juggernaut. Honda CEO Takanobu Ito minced no words when he told the Associated Press, "Hyundai is awesome. They are undoubtedly a threat because their products are cheap, and the quality is improving." The numbers seem to bear that out, as Hyundai and its corporate sibling, Kia, continue to show substantial sales chart improvements in key markets like the Europe and the US, where it continues to show strong growth while many other automakers look at double-digit shortfalls year-over-year. Nissan's Shiro Nakamura echoes Honda's Ito when it comes to identifying Japan's new boogeyman, "Hyundai is the biggest threat for the Japanese automakers. They have the technology, but they seem to have cheaper labour."

Hyundai, once basically a joke (we all remember such legendary products as the Excel, pictured above), is catching the Japanese by beating them at their own game -- offering a mix of value and quality that's hard for shoppers to ignore. Japan knows it needs to defend itself, too. After all, once upon a time, they were what Hyundai is now. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't too long ago that one could chuckle at Honda's initial foray into the States. We know how that turned out. Now you have to wonder how long it'll be until we see quotes from Hyundai's leadership talking about the Chinese the way Nissan and Japan talk about Hyundai.
Attached Thumbnails Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat-hyundaiexcelprintad.jpg  
Old 10-05-09, 02:13 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Even 10-15 years ago not many of us would even consider a Hyundai. Hyundai never really put themselves out there to be the leader of the bunch because they didn't have the reputation to back them up.. Well present day, its whole new game. Who would of thought that Japanese automakers would be afraid of such unworthy company today.
Old 10-05-09, 02:33 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

What's troubling here is that the writing is all over the wall for the South Koreans to once again trump the Japanese. When you look to Samsung, they copied everyone for years and were madly successfully at it, eventually garnering awesome economies of scale and racking up so large of cash reserves that they outspent the Japanese firms in R&D. This led them to be number one and led them to be the leader they are on an innovative front (NAND flash memory, LCD, AMOLED, etc.).

When you look at Samsung today, you see a massive conglomerate with a brand equity that is worth twice that of Sony. It's the world's largest and most valuable electronics company.

We can all sit here and whine about Hyundai copying the pants off of everyone else with little to no innovation (which is really not arguable on any front), but eventually, that imitation is their entry to become a relevant and innovative player.
Old 10-05-09, 04:04 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still laughing at that Excel ad. Looks like a million bucks?
Old 10-05-09, 04:05 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Yup, I can see why Honda is so nervous right now.
Hyundai is likely going to be the next Korean Lexus while Honda is still shuffling out that thing they called Acura.
Old 10-05-09, 04:30 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wayne's World - "Hyundai is awesome" "no... they're EXCELLEEEENT !!!"

It's a cycle, once production costs catch up with Hyundai, the same issue will fall on them as every other prior auto company.

All companies were built to eventually fall... thus is the circle of life...
Old 10-05-09, 05:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Isnt Hyundai where Toyota was 30 or 40 years ago? Hyundai has cheap labor, Low health cost, low pension cost, government backing, no safety or enviomental regulation. Hyundai discourage other import cars from entering their country.
AlexusAnja is right, in 15 or 20 years, Hyundai will be over taken by the Chinese and the Indian, and the cycle will continue.
Old 10-05-09, 07:00 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gman -
1) Hyundai is where Toyota was 15 yrs ago. Their labor,r&d, & safety reg. are all going up. They are backed by the gov't. It's in their constitution & so is Japanese corp.They will most likely shift their assembly to N. China or S. China like the rest of the car corp. They have already looked closely at N. industrial territories.
2) They double the cost of (ALL) imported Luxury cars & goods. Some products are taxed almost triple. I visited last year & there were alot of foreign cars there. Lexus,GM,Audi, & lots of BMW & MB. Just like Japan & China to protect their domestic products & corp. (U.S.) should do this also.
3) China & India car corp. will be here faster then that. 5 to 10 yrs.

Quick Reply: Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat