Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 07:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I know you hate Hyundai (better put, all Korean cars) to death, but I think you are going overboard...

Let me correct you. For the last 4 years or so I've been seeing a lot, I mean A LOT of Japanese cars in Korea. Just to name a few, cars like Infiniti G, FX, Q, QX series. They import not only Japanese cars but also european cars such as BMWs, Mercedes, Maseratti's, Ferrari's, Bentley's, etc. Where have you been for the last 5 years?? An are you saying Korean cars are 40 years behind Japanese cars? It's the most ignorant post I have read in years.
Before you call me ignorant, which BTW is against the forum rule, can we get a ruling from the mods on this one.
As I was saying, Before you call me ignorant, read my post again. I said the cost to build a Korean product is cheaper than the competition, much like the same advantage the Japanese car companies had years ago.
Sure there are foreign cars in Korean, but they are tax heavily and the cost is much higher than the US prices.
Lastly, I do not hate Hyundai, in fact, I am seriously looking at the Genesis as my next car. There is not much to hate about Hyundai's pricing and quality. I guess if there is one thing I hate about Hyundai is the styling, or the lack of original styling.
Old 10-05-09, 09:25 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should view it as threat. Hyundai has improved dramatically in last 2-3 years.

Though last Hyundai Sonata (07) I drove, a rental, was horrible. It felt horrible, it drove horrible, it made horrible noises. Perhaps I felt this way because my daily driver at that time was an 04 GS300.
Old 10-05-09, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
They should view it as threat. Hyundai has improved dramatically in last 2-3 years.
You're a little late to the party. Hyundai's quality started coming up long before that...around 2000.

Though last Hyundai Sonata (07) I drove, a rental, was horrible. It felt horrible, it drove horrible, it made horrible noises. Perhaps I felt this way because my daily driver at that time was an 04 GS300.
It must have been in an accident, or poorly repaired. An undamaged 2007 Sonata in proper running condition was, and is, a pretty nice vehicle.
Old 10-05-09, 10:59 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're a little late to the party. Hyundai's quality started coming up long before that...around 2000.
I was referring to the announcement/launch of Hyundai Genesis.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It must have been in an accident, or poorly repaired. An undamaged 2007 Sonata in proper running condition was, and is, a pretty nice vehicle.
I am not sure, but it was a rental vehicle from Enterprise.
07 with 1700 miles or so.
It was well equipped too.
Old 10-05-09, 11:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Now that was uncalled for. How come we see so many foreign cars (and Japanese cars) in Korea then? There should be very very rare, right?? What you say doesn't add up, which is why I proudly said you keep making things up.

I don't know about today but when I lived in South Korea for 2 years in the early to mid 90's you hardly ever saw a non Korean car in the city off military bases. Seeing an American, Japanese, or German or non Korean car in downtown Seoul Korea was as rare as seeing Ferrari's or Lamborghini's in middle class suburbs. Maybe things have changed now but all I saw was Daewoo's, Hyundai's, Kia's and a few rarer Korean brands in South Korea in the early-mid 90's when I lived there and never really saw any non Korean cars unless they were driven by Americans or some Koreans working on US military bases. You hardly ever saw non Korean made products sold in the city, you had to drive or ride the subway pretty far to a electronics hub part in the city to find non Korean electronics/video games. Their must have been some pretty tight import controls/taxes to have it so skewed at that time, maybe regulations have loosened up now to where you see more foreign products but it was not like that in the early 90's.
Old 10-05-09, 11:40 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Now that was uncalled for. How come we see so many foreign cars (and Japanese cars) in Korea then? There should be very very rare, right?? What you say doesn't add up, which is why I proudly said you keep making things up.

This too, totally uncalled for. The information is incorrect. Why the need for such exaggerations?

This is what I can describe in following words:

- exaggerations
- assumptions
- whining

Actually this is incorrect. Hyundai and all the other Korean chaebols actively lobby for protectionist measures to be taken by the central government. Look at the stranglehold that Samsung, LG, and Pantech have on the mobile handset market. Samsung [Anycall] holds >60% of that market because the government has dictated that South Korea hold a completely proprietary software standard on mobile phones. The Apple iPhone is just becoming available, to the kicking and screaming of Samsung. There's a reason why South Korea's government is often dubbed "The Republic of Samsung"; between them and Hyundai, South Korea is a nation that goes out of their way to protect their chaebols.

As far as cars go, those foreign imports are taxed heavily and the government actually goes out of their way to audit taxpayers who own these vehicles. Remember, South Koreans are very, very nationalistic, much more than most other nations around the globe, and owning a foreign import is often scorned at.

The bottom line is that the Koreans are hardly "open" to much of anything foreign, cars included. We could have a conversation about the very real Japanese central government protectionist measures, but they are not as extreme as the South Koreans.

Last edited by FKL; 10-05-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 11:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Competition is always good, maybe now Toyota will build a RWD Coupe platform to compete with the Genesis and 370Z.
Old 10-05-09, 07:19 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

We all seem to froget that Lexus automobiles back in the days borrowed a lot of design cues from Mercedes-Benz and quite honestly still do today.
Old 10-05-09, 10:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original styling cues in luxury cars today are rare. Most have a lot of the same styling cliches, the list is endless.
Old 10-06-09, 10:40 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by joe80
by the way Hyundai is 4th largest, not 5th. IN U.S, I think hyundai will pass Nissan in sales within next 3 years.
Not sure if that is correct. As of 2008 worldwide in sales, Hyundai is 11th.

1. Toyota Motor
2. General Motors
3. Daimler
4. Ford Motor
5. Volkswagen
6. Honda Motor
7. Nissan Motor
8. Peugeot
9. Fiat
10. BMW
11. Hyundai Motor
12. Renault

For 2009, that will be a different story and I don't have the figures in yet because this year isn't over yet...
Old 10-06-09, 10:49 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Trexus
Not sure if that is correct. As of 2008 worldwide in sales, Hyundai is 11th.

1. Toyota Motor
2. General Motors
3. Daimler
4. Ford Motor
5. Volkswagen
6. Honda Motor
7. Nissan Motor
8. Peugeot
9. Fiat
10. BMW
11. Hyundai Motor
12. Renault

For 2009, that will be a different story and I don't have the figures in yet because this year isn't over yet...
Largest automaker is what he meant. Here are the figures for the first half of the 2009 fiscal year:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6544939/in...r/photo_1.html
Old 10-06-09, 11:00 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Largest automaker is what he meant. Here are the figures for the first half of the 2009 fiscal year:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6544939/in...r/photo_1.html
I'm curious as to why Daimler, BMW and Fiat isn't on that list?
Old 10-06-09, 11:10 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm curious as to why Daimler, BMW and Fiat isn't on that list?
Didn't BMW sales go down like 70% as compared to last year? And all of the Daimler-Chrylser lots down here are full of unsold 2008 cars, so they definitely aren't selling.
Old 10-06-09, 11:25 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't know about today but when I lived in South Korea for 2 years in the early to mid 90's you hardly ever saw a non Korean car in the city off military bases.
Yeah, it's not true anymore. I saw a ton of MB, BMW, and Lexus cars last year in Seoul. In fact, I saw more Maseratis and VW Phaetons there than I ever saw in California.
Old 10-06-09, 11:52 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
As far as cars go, those foreign imports are taxed heavily and the government actually goes out of their way to audit taxpayers who own these vehicles. Remember, South Koreans are very, very nationalistic, much more than most other nations around the globe, and owning a foreign import is often scorned at.

The bottom line is that the Koreans are hardly "open" to much of anything foreign, cars included. We could have a conversation about the very real Japanese central government protectionist measures, but they are not as extreme as the South Koreans.
Have you ever even been to Korea or are you just pulling things out of your posterior? There are a TON of Hondas, Toyotas, and European brands there, so where you do get this idea that Koreans are not open to foreign cars? Their department stores have dozens of foreign brands that I never saw in the U.S. Hell, there is an entire section in Shinsegae Department stores dedicated to a single Japanese brand (M- something) and many Koreans hate the Japanese.

I went to a car show in Seoul last year. Honda, Toyota, Audi, BMW, MB, VW, Peugeot, Renault-Nissan, Ford, etc. were all there in force. GM had a huge stage (largest at the show it seemed) where they had a rock band playing. I went to the Lexus display and got the price sheet for the cars. They were a just few thousand more than in the U.S. but it's no where near as bad as your are trying to make it out to be. Your impressions of Korea are like 30-40 years old.

Quick Reply: Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat