Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese automakers see Hyundai as global threat

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
We all seem to froget that Lexus automobiles back in the days borrowed a lot of design cues from Mercedes-Benz and quite honestly still do today.
they did and do? i never saw it then and i don't see it now.
Old 10-06-09, 09:26 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Actually this is incorrect. Hyundai and all the other Korean chaebols actively lobby for protectionist measures to be taken by the central government. Look at the stranglehold that Samsung, LG, and Pantech have on the mobile handset market. Samsung [Anycall] holds >60% of that market because the government has dictated that South Korea hold a completely proprietary software standard on mobile phones. The Apple iPhone is just becoming available, to the kicking and screaming of Samsung. There's a reason why South Korea's government is often dubbed "The Republic of Samsung"; between them and Hyundai, South Korea is a nation that goes out of their way to protect their chaebols.

As far as cars go, those foreign imports are taxed heavily and the government actually goes out of their way to audit taxpayers who own these vehicles. Remember, South Koreans are very, very nationalistic, much more than most other nations around the globe, and owning a foreign import is often scorned at.

The bottom line is that the Koreans are hardly "open" to much of anything foreign, cars included. We could have a conversation about the very real Japanese central government protectionist measures, but they are not as extreme as the South Koreans.

Funniest thing I've ever heard. Seriously dude, you are so wrong, it's not even funny. when you go to korea, you see plenty of german, american, and japanese cars everywhere. i mean everywhere. it's not 1989. or not even 1999. it's 2009, and your perception of korea is seriously outdated. i probably saw more S or 7 class than genesis last time i went there.

There are more hyundai haters in Korea than here in the U.S. go to any korean car forums or talk to any koreans. Koreans are the one who hates the hyundai the most. it's basically 50/50 and those 50% are passionate haters. we call them "hyunkka" , a hyundai hater in korean.

when the new sonata came out, koreans are the one who bashed it most. seriously you would think koreans would be proud of the new sonata, but it was bashed passionately by every forum i go to and every person i talked to. sure there were people who praised the new sonata, but overall reaction was 'too much hype, but not good enough.' seriously it's never good enough for them.

genesis too gets regularly mocked by hyunkkas because of it's ridiculous price and bland design in korea. loaded genesis(no v8 in korea) is basically same price as new E350, both around $63k. people are absolutely disgusted by hyundai's pricing in korea. i

Equus? it was a laughing stock when it first came out. General reaction of Equus here in the states was 'a decent effort, copy of many cars, but still a good offering and etc'. in korea, it was basically an embarrassment especially the interior. No one liked the interior and almost every one i know hated the rear. you think people in the states is a tough crowd, but actually koreans in korea are the toughest crowd for hyundai.

you would think all koreans worship hyundai, but that's not the case. bottom line there are patriots, but there are some serious haters in korea. again, it's 2009, we don't baby our products anymore.
Old 10-06-09, 09:52 PM
Trexus

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they did and do? i never saw it then and i don't see it now.
Exactly. When the very first LS 400 came out it looked like a bigger version of the Toyota Cressida...
Old 10-06-09, 10:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car either looks good or it doesn't. The Genesis sedan looks good compared to the last 7 series bussel-butted.