Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think of the current GT-R?
It is a supercar and exotic
7.95%
It is a supercar not an exotic
65.91%
It is an exotic not a supercar
1.14%
It is neither
19.32%
I was hoping for sexy pics of goats in front of a GT-R
5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

GT-R....is it a Supercar but NOT an exotic? Both? Neither?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 07:12 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
It's neither...

IMO a supercar has to be an exotic but an exotic doesn't have to be a supercar. However, GT-R is not exclusive enough to be an exotic...

So I say the GT-R has supercar-like performance but it is not a true supercar.
I also agree! ^ ^
Old 10-05-09, 07:12 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super - yes
Ex ot'ic a - 1 foreign 2 strangely beautiful, etc

subjective by definition as we can see by the various responses here. In my eyes no, not with a Nissan badge.
Old 10-05-09, 07:32 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

SUPERCAR? Of course. Any other definition is plain blinded hate.

Exotic? Nope.
Old 10-05-09, 07:33 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Unless someone's definition of "supercar" includes the criteria of exclusitivity, then to say the GT-R is not a supercar is just down right wrong, and stupid IMHO. If the GT-R is not not a supercar, then which cars are supercars? NO2 or jet powered drag strip racers?

GT-R, super DAMN RIGHT... exotic, no way. I've actually already seen three different GT-R already on the road, compared to about two Ferraris and one Lamborghini maybe my whole life.

To be an exotic, you almost have to never be seen....
Again, other than it's performance, what else is "super" about the GT-R? It's looks? It's price? It's exclusivity? It's engine sound? Performance is the only thing "super" about the GT-R, and to a lot of people that is not enough to qualify it as a true supercar.

Even the GT-R's performance, is it head and shoulders above it's competition? The Corvette ZR-1 can match it in performance, the Viper ACR actually beats the GT-R in performance, and the 997 Turbo is close to it in performance. Those are the 3 closest competitors to the GT-R.

The GT-R is an amazing achievement, and very close to being a supercar, but it's not quite there. The reasons I don't consider the GT-R a true supercar is the same reason the NSX and MK4 Supra TT were not true supercars. They were high performance sports cars.
Old 10-05-09, 09:34 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Again, other

The GT-R is an amazing achievement, and very close to being a supercar, but it's not quite there. The reasons I don't consider the GT-R a true supercar is the same reason the NSX and MK4 Supra TT were not true supercars. They were high performance sports cars.
I think you ought to look into definition of Super-car.

According to a special broadcast on Discovery Channel about Supercars, "A super-car is all about performance. It doesn't comprises. It's about speed, handling, and power"

I forgot the host's name, but he has appeared in few shows and magazines (mostly European) He was also the auctioneer on "Chasing classic cars"

So according to that definition, its a pure Super-car.

I think a personal opinion is irrelevant.
Old 10-05-09, 09:46 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
I think you ought to look into definition of Super-car.

According to a special broadcast on Discovery Channel about Supercars, "A super-car is all about performance. It doesn't comprises. It's about speed, handling, and power"

I forgot the host's name, but he has appeared in few shows and magazines (mostly European) He was also the auctioneer on "Chasing classic cars"

So according to that definition, its a pure Super-car.

I think a personal opinion is irrelevant.
The GT-R is not universally or unanimously agreed upon as being a supercar, nor does it fit the criteria or definition of a supercar, based on traditional supercars in history.

Wikipedia states that a supercar "is a term generally used for ultra-high-end exotic cars, whose performance is superior to that of its contemporaries."

According to that definition, the GT-R does not fit as a supercar. My examples are the performance of the ZR-1 and Viper ACR. Those are contemporaries of the GT-R, and the GT-R does not beat them.

Again, if the GT-R is a supercar, then under the same logic the NSX and MK4 Supra TT should be classified as supercars, but we know they are not. The NSX and Supra, when they debuted were both some of the best-performing sports cars of their time, just like the GT-R is today.
Old 10-05-09, 10:00 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
smart ***. LOL you know what I mean. Look at some of these shots. Plus dont tell me that you dont need to put wheels on a supercar. I see your point, but it goes against the idea of wanting something that is extremely unique and special. Exotic car customization is needed for those who pay the huge bills for these cars
Yeah, I was just busting your ***** a bit with that comment.

My point is that ANY car can look good with a proper set of aftermarket wheels, however a Supercar or Exotic shouldn't NEED to add aftermarket wheels to achieve a certain Supercar or Exotic status. If the car can't be deemed a Supercar or Exotic from the factory, in stock form, then it is my opinion that it's just meant to be one regardless of how you want to mod it.
Old 10-05-09, 10:34 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

The GT-R is not universally or unanimously agreed upon as being a supercar, nor does it fit the criteria or definition of a supercar, based on traditional supercars in history.

Wikipedia states that a supercar "is a term generally used for ultra-high-end exotic cars, whose performance is superior to that of its contemporaries."
I beg your pardon.
Since you have used an online source to contend your point, here are a few of hundreds, maybe thousands, of sources that do agree that its a Super-car.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_r/index.html

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...expensive.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7901

http://www.thesupercars.org/nissan/2...an-gt-r-specv/

According to that definition, the GT-R does not fit as a supercar. My examples are the performance of the ZR-1 and Viper ACR. Those are contemporaries of the GT-R, and the GT-R does not beat them.

Again, if the GT-R is a supercar, then under the same logic the NSX and MK4 Supra TT should be classified as supercars, but we know they are not. The NSX and Supra, when they debuted were both some of the best-performing sports cars of their time, just like the GT-R is today.
I am sorry, but you mentioning these cars, over and over in few different threads now, but they aren't super cars. In their stock form, these cars never produced the numbers that other Super-cars did in that era. Part of it is due to the "Gentlemen's agreement', but these cars were never powerful enough to compete with their rivals.
Old 10-05-09, 10:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I beg your pardon.
Since you have used an online source to contend your point, here are a few of hundreds, maybe thousands, of sources that do agree that its a Super-car.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_r/index.html

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...expensive.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7901

http://www.thesupercars.org/nissan/2...an-gt-r-specv/
Top Gear or Fifth Gear did a poll about the GT-R quite a while ago about whether the GT-R was a real supercar, and the results were mixed and inconclusive. The vote was split in terms of whether it was a supercar.

The fact that threads like these exist, and discussions like these take place means there is doubt whether the GT-R is a supercar, and if there is doubt that means it is NOT unanimous.

I am sorry, but you mentioning these cars, over and over in few different threads now, but they aren't super cars. In their stock form, these cars never produced the numbers that other Super-cars did in that era. Part of it is due to the "Gentlemen's agreement', but these cars were never powerful enough to compete with their rivals.
The *same thing* applies to the GT-R !

The GT-R does not produce even 500HP, let alone 600HP. The Carrera GT and Enzo are several years old, yet they produce much more power. The Lambo LP640 produces over 600HP. The Veyron, well there is simply no comparison. The more-than-a-decade old McLaren F1 produces MUCH more power than the GT-R.

Even the Corvette ZR-1 and Viper ACR produce MUCH MORE power than the GT-R.

Also, all of the cars I listed can hit over 200 mph top speed. The GT-R cannot. It tops out at 193-195 mph. Supercars were achieving over 200 mph top speed 20 years ago.

Looking at the GT-R's top speed, HOW that does that make it a supercar?

The GT-R's acceleration times are really amazing for high-performance sports cars, but they don't beat the top supercars.

The NSX and MK4 Supra TT were able to compete with cars like the Ferrari 348, but they could not match the top supercars of the time, JUST LIKE the GT-R today.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-05-09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 11:04 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Top Gear or Fifth Gear did a poll about the GT-R quite a while ago about whether the GT-R was a real supercar, and the results were inconclusive.

The *same thing* applies to the GT-R !

The GT-R does not produce even 500HP, let alone 600HP. The Carrera GT and Enzo are several years old, yet they produce much more power. The Lambo LP640 produces over 600HP. The Veyron, well there is simply no comparison. The more-than-a-decade old McLaren F1 produces MUCH more power than the GT-R.

Also, all of the cars I listed can hit over 200 mph top speed. The GT-R cannot. It tops out at 193-195 mph. Supercars were achieving over 200 mph top speed 20 years ago.

The GT-R's acceleration times are really amazing for high-performance sports cars, but they don't beat the top supercars.

The NSX and MK4 Supra TT were able to compete with cars like the Ferrari 348, but they could not match the top supercars of the time, JUST LIKE the GT-R today.
By numbers, I meant performance, not HP.

Now you are comparing GTR to "Top Super-cars"?
I take it that you will never accept it as a 'Super-car'

but at any rate, let me ask you this, do you consider a 997 Turbo a Super-car?
Old 10-05-09, 11:12 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

What performance? Handling? Acceleration? I already said the GT-R acceleration numbers do not beat a number of supercars, including OLDER supercars. The GT-R's top speed is also laughable compared to 15-20 year old supercars. There are some high-end sedans that achieve a higher top speed than the GT-R!

Just as you compared the NSX and MK4 Supra TT to "top supercars", I did the same. Do you consider the Ferrari 348 a supercar?

Performance does NOT mean ONLY Nurburgring times. Some supercars have never been tested at the 'Ring. There are also cars that have gotten amazing lap times on the 'Ring, which are not actually supercars.

No, the 997 Turbo I do not consider a true supercar, just as I do not consider the GT-R a true supercar. Same thing with the NSX and MK4 Supra TT.

To me, the 997 Turbo and GT-R are very high performance sports cars.
Old 10-05-09, 11:14 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it has been pretty widely accepted that the GT-R probably does make HP more along the lines of 500HP rather than what is "claimed?"

Given your last few sentences, a car cannot be a Supercar until it tops the current BEST Supercar on the market?

So the criteria to be a Supercar is you must: run a 10 second 1/4 mile, top out at no less than 200 MPH, and claim at least 600HP?
Old 10-05-09, 11:14 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

What performance? Handling? Acceleration? I already said the GT-R acceleration numbers do not beat a number of supercars, including OLDER supercars. The GT-R's top speed is also laughable compared to 15-20 year old supercars.

Just as you compared the NSX and MK4 Supra TT to "top supercars", I did the same. Do you consider the Ferrari 348 a supercar?

Performance does NOT mean ONLY Nurburgring times. Some supercars have never been tested at the 'Ring. There are also cars that have gotten amazing lap times on the 'Ring, which are not actually supercars.

No, the 997 Turbo I do not consider a true supercar, just as I do not consider the GT-R a true supercar. Same thing with the NSX and MK4 Supra TT.

To me, the 997 Turbo and GT-R are very high performance sports cars.
Doh.

There is no point in taking this discussion any further with you.
Old 10-05-09, 11:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The 997 Turbo is an extremely fast, capable car, but it's still a 911 fundamentally. If you consider the 997 Turbo a supercar, where do you draw the line? Is a Carrera S a "supercar" too?

I ask again, is the Ferrari 348 a supercar? Is the Ferrari F430 a "supercar"? Or is it an exotic high-end sports car?

Is EVERY high performance sports car considered a "supercar" to you?
Old 10-05-09, 12:59 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Ok the highjacking has begun here. The thread is a poll and asks whether we THINK the the GT-R is a supercar. No use in bandying back and forth with each other trying to prove a point.

Is it a supercar, I think it is. And for all the reasons stated by others as to why it is. Is it an exotic? No. And for the record, precious few cars truly are exotics. For one thing the GT-R's engine configuration is too traditional. Not enough cylinders, front engine placement... nothing to put it into that rarified stratusphere of V10's and V12's. It is rare in that it is an AWD high performance car but that's not enough. For me what makes a car exotic is not about exclusivity or badge or luxury crapola this and that. It's about engineering, design and rare and specialized materials, layout and construction.

So, Supercar? I haven't yet heard a convincing argument of why it wouldn't be.
Exotic? No (and that's hardly a meaningful demerit for a car this fantastic).

Quick Reply: GT-R....is it a Supercar but NOT an exotic? Both? Neither?