Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think of the current GT-R?
It is a supercar and exotic
7.95%
It is a supercar not an exotic
65.91%
It is an exotic not a supercar
1.14%
It is neither
19.32%
I was hoping for sexy pics of goats in front of a GT-R
5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

GT-R....is it a Supercar but NOT an exotic? Both? Neither?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 09:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Until of course... Most cars are viewing it's tail lights as it's pulling away.
True and they are still not impressed but at least they don't have to see the ugly front end. Most of us are driving cars that are faster than 90% of the typical cars that we encounter daily, so that's no big deal especially around the car-rich areas.
Old 10-06-09, 11:52 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by speedflex
So after all the dust has settled here in the debate of GT-R supercar or exotic the reality we're left with is this. What did Nissan set out to build? Did they consciously aim to make a supercar or an exotic? Or was the goal to build a worthy successor to one of the most (if not THE most) legendary Japanese sports cars in history? Nissan benchmarked Porsche, not Lamborghini or Ferrari, as their performance bogey. It just so happens that in meeting that goal they also overtook some much more exotic cars on the block.

Nissan was not only competing with Porsche but also with the standard set by the GT-R's own heritage. That means the car had to be a lot of the things that it is, otherwise it would not be a real GT-R. So whether it fulfills some subjective personal ideas of what a supercar or exotic should be is not Nissan's problem nor the GT-R's. That's baggage that we continue to pile on the car. The GT-R is what it was meant to be. At some point we should all step back and appreciate what Nissan accomplished out of its check list of goals and admire the car for the technical and design marvel that it is.
Nominee for "BEST Quote of 2009"
Old 10-06-09, 11:54 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
True and they are still not impressed but at least they don't have to see the ugly front end. Most of us are driving cars that are faster than 90% of the typical cars that we encounter daily, so that's no big deal especially around the car-rich areas.
I hear ya... But it's pulling on the 10% of cars we DON'T have. And I don't care who you are... If a GT-R happens to pull on you the unsuspecting Lambo driver. You will think or at the least remember it!
Old 10-06-09, 01:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
I hear ya... But it's pulling on the 10% of cars we DON'T have. And I don't care who you are... If a GT-R happens to pull on you the unsuspecting Lambo driver. You will think or at the least remember it!
The Lambo driver will know exactly what he's looking at and most like will mumble something like bfd.

Certainly this Nissan car has the goods.
Old 10-06-09, 01:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
So after all the dust has settled here in the debate of GT-R supercar or exotic the reality we're left with is this. What did Nissan set out to build? Did they consciously aim to make a supercar or an exotic? Or was the goal to build a worthy successor to one of the most (if not THE most) legendary Japanese sports cars in history? Nissan benchmarked Porsche, not Lamborghini or Ferrari, as their performance bogey. It just so happens that in meeting that goal they also overtook some much more exotic cars on the block.

Nissan was not only competing with Porsche but also with the standard set by the GT-R's own heritage. That means the car had to be a lot of the things that it is, otherwise it would not be a real GT-R. So whether it fulfills some subjective personal ideas of what a supercar or exotic should be is not Nissan's problem nor the GT-R's. That's baggage that we continue to pile on the car. The GT-R is what it was meant to be. At some point we should all step back and appreciate what Nissan accomplished out of its check list of goals and admire the car for the technical and design marvel that it is.
That is the key point you hit right there. A successor to one of the most legendary Japanese sports cars. ALL previous GT-Rs were sports cars/sports sedans. No GT-R in the past has EVER been a supercar. So keeping in mind the GT-R's heritage, making a supercar has *nothing* to do with it's heritage.

Like you said, Nissan met their performance goal, and it *just so happened* the GT-R achieves performance close/equal to some supercars, but THAT ALONE does NOT make it a true supercar.

Calling the GT-R a supercar is actually going *against* past GT-R heritage.

As for admiring the car/giving credit to Nissan, we get the point. There have been limitless threads already on that topic. That is NOT what this topic is about, so there is no need to admire or give respect to the GT-R for the millionth time in the millionth thread. This can be done in numerous other GT-R threads.
Old 10-06-09, 01:53 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

According to the poll result, it IS a supercar
Old 10-06-09, 02:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
According to the poll result, it IS a supercar
According to a Top Gear or Fifth Gear poll result, public opinion was mixed and undecided as to whether it was a true supercar. What's your point?
Old 10-06-09, 02:35 PM
Milla...

If nothing eles its Nissan's version of a supercar..regardless if the masses feel it is or not..
Old 10-06-09, 03:00 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if the people at Nissan get a good laugh out of debates like this... Whatever they did, whatever it is, Nissan did one hell of a job if you consider all the discussion it still stirs up.

The three most hated/bashed/praised/mentioned/etc. letters in the alphabet must be "G," "T," and "R." At least on the internet and near an automotive forum.
Old 10-06-09, 04:09 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
According to a Top Gear or Fifth Gear poll result, public opinion was mixed and undecided as to whether it was a true supercar. What's your point?
The point is that the answer depends on who you ask.
Old 10-06-09, 04:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Pointless" will be the new thread title soon.
Old 10-06-09, 06:21 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

It is a supercar AND a 4000lb can of woop ***.
Old 10-06-09, 06:49 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

First off let me say that I love the GT R and respect everything it does.

However, my vote is for neither a supercar, nor an exotic. It certainly has performance numbers that are "super", but it is too attainable, too common, and lacks the luxury component that would make it either a supercar or exotic.

But I guess that's just me. I guess I consider the definition of "supercar" and "exotic" to be very similar.
Old 10-06-09, 09:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That is the key point you hit right there. A successor to one of the most legendary Japanese sports cars. ALL previous GT-Rs were sports cars/sports sedans. No GT-R in the past has EVER been a supercar. So keeping in mind the GT-R's heritage, making a supercar has *nothing* to do with it's heritage.

Like you said, Nissan met their performance goal, and it *just so happened* the GT-R achieves performance close/equal to some supercars, but THAT ALONE does NOT make it a true supercar.

Calling the GT-R a supercar is actually going *against* past GT-R heritage.

As for admiring the car/giving credit to Nissan, we get the point. There have been limitless threads already on that topic. That is NOT what this topic is about, so there is no need to admire or give respect to the GT-R for the millionth time in the millionth thread. This can be done in numerous other GT-R threads.
R34 Z-Tune?
Old 10-06-09, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Let me remind everyone the R33 was the first production car that lapped the "Ring" under 8 minutes....

The performance has always been there in GT-R form....

Quick Reply: GT-R....is it a Supercar but NOT an exotic? Both? Neither?