Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Ford Flex

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 10:59 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Love the review mmarshall

I love the flex simply b/c it's a damn good looking suv ala pseudo Range Ranger sport for half the price.

Sucks that we need 2 more seats

Way to go Ford
Old 10-06-09, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Love the review mmarshall
Thanks.

I love the flex simply b/c it's a damn good looking suv ala pseudo Range Ranger sport for half the price.
Keep in mind, though, even money aside, that Land Rover products are notorious for spending more time in the repair shop than out.

Sucks that we need 2 more seats
2 more seats? Gee...how big is your family? The Flex, as it is, can seat at least 7 people, providing that the two in the 3rd-row seat are children or small adults.

Though the standard engine/transmission, as I noted in the review, is pretty impressive, if you're going to regularly drive with 7 people in it, especially in steep or hilly areas, you may want to consider the Ecoboost.
Old 10-06-09, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Lincoln has a version of the Flex coming already and it is called the MKT and the styling follows the current Lincoln design language. It wouldn't make sense to have a Mercury as well since Lincoln and Mercury share the majority of showrooms.
Thanks. I'd heard rumors about the MKT, but I didn't know (yet) whether it was a go or no-go. As far as a Mercury version, I noted a couple of posts back that the Ford people probably didn't see a need for a Mercury version. If they change their minds, though, the existing Limited would probably make a good Mercury version.
Old 10-06-09, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they start at 28550 http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/flex/ and this is a BIG vehicle. for 10k LESS what the heck are you going to get?
I mentioned that in the review....that base models start below 30K.

except you can't get an RX350 out the door for 40k. but comparing a fully loaded flex with a 'base' RX350 doesn't make much sense nor is it realistic because dealers NEVER sell base RX350s.

it's so not loaded it's not even possible.

since a 40k new RX isn't possible, a loaded 40k highlander is preferable.
I've seen some RX350 models in my area for under 40K...but it takes a little searching and some bargaining on the price.

But, as for a 40K RX Hybrid, you're right............forget it.
Old 10-06-09, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mike, great review as always.
Thanks.

i've had a flex as a loaner from the dealer so got to use a 'worn in' one for a couple of days. i disagree with you on the brakes. i found them, like my explorer and like the f-150 to be 'progressive' but firm once the pedal goes down if you need big stopping.
Yes, they are "progressive" in the sense that the harder you push, the more you stop (as with virtually all brakes), but I found the pedal very spongy and ineffective....especially compared to a number of German vehicles I've tried. I've noticed that pattern on a number of Ford/GM-designed trucks and SUVs....though it is better than in the past.

steering is light but this isn't supposed to be driven like a sports car as you know.
They could put a little quicker ratio into the rack and steering system...the response with the present system, even though it is not supposed to be a sports car, is quite slow. Steering response is not always suspension or tire-related....sometimes it is a function of the worm-ratio gearing in the steering rack itself. In many modern vehicles, it can also vary by vehicle speed and/or engine RPM.

overall i just found the flex to be very much a 'no brainer' to drive around, big but still easy to maneuver, TONS of space, and i liked the controls.
How would you compare it to your Explorer?

looks are a bit funky, but not terrible.
Somewhat like a grown-up Scion xB.
Old 10-06-09, 01:17 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good review as always mmarshal. I like the Flex a lot the Edmunds/Insideline has one in there fleet and that made it a lot more intresting because of all the good compliments they gave it. I saw a base one in red at a local hotel and it looked horrible. The wheels on the base model look horrible... how much is the ecoboost option?
Old 10-06-09, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
good review as always mmarshal.
Thanks.

I like the Flex a lot the Edmunds/Insideline has one in there fleet and that made it a lot more interesting because of all the good compliments they gave it.
I agree. Except for the somewhat spongy brakes, poor brake pedal location, and road noise on coarse-surface roads, I found it a quite well-designed and competent vehicle.

I saw a base one in red at a local hotel and it looked horrible. The wheels on the base model look horrible... how much is the ecoboost option?
I can't comment on the specific base one you saw, but the Limited model, especially with the two-tone roof option, adds some bling and, IMO, contributes to the car's looks.

For the Ecoboost option and package prices, check the "Build your own" feature on Ford's website. It gives the official factory pricing. The Ecoboost option prices seems to vary with the trim model ordered, but generally runs between $1500-$2000. What you may pay for it, however, may also depend on what the local dealer asks for it, because of the Ecoboost's order-only policy and supply/demand issues.
Old 10-06-09, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One of my friends pointed out that I did not mention the drink-cooler built into the console, which is an option on some models, so I'll bring that up here.
Old 10-06-09, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They could put a little quicker ratio into the rack and steering system...the response with the present system, even though it is not supposed to be a sports car, is quite slow.
agreed, but low effort at least.

How would you compare it to your Explorer?
definitely not the same! the flex is much more forgiving/smoother over small road imperfections. the explorer is 'jiggly'/stiff unless the road is very smooth. amazingly, my miata goes over speed bumps (slowly of course) much more comfortably (less up/down motion) than my explorer.

the flex's v6 (i didn't have an ecoboost) was quite adequate but the v8 in my explorer is great, although the transmission in the flex is smoother than the one in the explorer. but i still love the sound and responsiveness of the v8. it's one of my little pleasures in life.

the explorer is VERY quiet inside when in motion, quieter than the flex i'd say.

my explorer limited interior looks a bit more 'formal' or something than the flex, the latter with it's silver plastic (which i don't like on any car) and the blue instrumentation. i wish my explorer had sync though (wasn't available on '06 model i have) - that seems really great.

space wise the flex may be a bit wider and maybe a touch longer and of course is a big 'box' - great for cargo. the explorer has the most front leg room of ANY vehicle i've ever been in though, a consideration for my long extremities (6'3"). as i recall, the flex's front seats didn't quite go back far enough for me.

Somewhat like a grown-up Scion xB.
good description.

i think you reviewed the Edge before too? with ford having the edge, the flex, and the explorer, and of course the escape and expedition, it seems a bit much in the suv department!!! but each has its market niche though. besides the expedition my explorer can out tow all the others easily.
Old 10-06-09, 07:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, as for a 40K RX Hybrid, you're right............forget it.
I've seen them at MY end clearence. FWD though.
Old 10-07-09, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

the flex is much more forgiving/smoother over small road imperfections. the explorer is 'jiggly'/stiff unless the road is very smooth. amazingly, my miata goes over speed bumps (slowly of course) much more comfortably (less up/down motion) than my explorer.
That probably reflects the Explorer's truck-based chassis and its off-road-capable suspension. What is remarkable, though is that (taking your word for it) the Miata has a more comfortable ride with a much shorter wheelbase and much lighter weight....both of which generally work against ride quality.

the flex's v6 (i didn't have an ecoboost) was quite adequate but the v8 in my explorer is great, although the transmission in the flex is smoother than the one in the explorer. but i still love the sound and responsiveness of the v8. it's one of my little pleasures in life.
It's hard to beat the Flex's 6-speed automatic....even without a manual-shift function, it's one of the best 6-speeds I've experienced, especially for an SUV.

good description.
Thanks.

i think you reviewed the Edge before too?
No......I didn't get any requests for it, and I personally wasn't that interested in it.

with ford having the edge, the flex, and the explorer, and of course the escape and expedition, it seems a bit much in the suv department!!! but each has its market niche though. besides the expedition my explorer can out tow all the others easily.
Yes, Ford does seem to have some overlap in the SUV department.....I noted tat in the review. Your Explorer can out-tow everything but the Expedition because that is what it was designed to do.....it is truck-based.