Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen Is Steering Toward American Tastes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 09:22 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blah blah blah...

Camry SE not a "driver's car"? No **** Sherlock! Please tell me which one of the midsize family sedan is actually a "driver's car"? They are all products of compromise, some are sportier than others, END OF THE FRIGGING STORY!

It's just extremely funny to me that some of the so-called enthusiasts would make it sound like the WHOLE FRIGGING WORLD wants great performance cars while the reality is that the majority just wants a reliable and yet comfortable A to B commuter. OPEN YOUR EYES, LOOK AROUND, STOP LIVING IN YOUR FANTASY!

As for VW tailoring its products to NA market, I say good for them! Buick tailored their products to the local taste in China and look how successful they are over there. Even Mickey-D tailored their menu to local taste oversea, if you have even been to one in China or Taiwan (even Japan I think) you'd be amazed by the menus.
Old 10-05-09, 09:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is a good point. They also have awful vehicle allocation and dealerships are okay at best. While a more "American" product should help in America, they have other areas of opportunity as well.

I understand the "they need to stay German" argument but it hasn't worked for them with sales. Its clear most people don't see it as a buying advantage, otherwise Jettas and Passats etc would be best sellers (they are nice cars).
And that's a pity

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
VW is the Euro Toyota. PERIOD END OF STORY. I am not going to debate which car vs car is better. What this article is about is SALES and VW knows their sales here currently are pretty poor THUS their new approach of selling Americans what Americans want.

Pretty novel concept.

I am completely tired at this point of people bashing and hating on cars not INTENDED to be sporty. Especially since many not only sell well but keep their owners VERY happy.

Most people can't even DRIVE so what is the point of being behind a "sportier" car. So you can puff your chest on the internet?
Unfortunately, yes. It's the "I drive a sporty car" even though it's never driven the way it's designed to do.
Old 10-05-09, 09:57 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Personally, I'm looking forward to the new North American VWs with their on board juicers, waffle irons and toasters...
The Routan is close enough to that already...

And besides, a Camry handles better than anything that Obama Motors and the Koreans have in that class.
Old 10-06-09, 02:03 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Blah blah blah...

Camry SE not a "driver's car"? No **** Sherlock! Please tell me which one of the midsize family sedan is actually a "driver's car"? They are all products of compromise, some are sportier than others, END OF THE FRIGGING STORY!
Drivers car:

Volkswagen Passat 2.0t w/ 6speed. I promise you, it is a blast to drive...from the small steering wheel to the turbo torque...it may not accelerate as quick as a VR6 model or a V6 Camcord, but it's so much more fun.
Old 10-06-09, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The electric steering on some these Toyotas almost feel like you are driving in a video game. Toyota really need to something here and fast.
Old 10-06-09, 07:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not out of the question. I do like the 2.0T and the DSG (S-Tronic) combination....and, of course, the Quattro drivetrain. Problem is, though, they just don't have Subaru or Lexus reliability.

But, right now, I have CL review requests for two new Audis.

They shouldn't HAVE to adjust to something like this. Americans who do this (and anyone else who tries to multitask while driving) should simply have more sense. It's not up to auto companies to teach people how to drive safely....they're already supposed to know how to do that when they buy a car.
Should they make the car easier to eat breakfast in? NO. Should they upgrade cupholders? Abosolutely. German makers have been arrogantly taking the viewpoint that customers should drive the cars, and not worry about cupholders for years. Has it caught on? No. Most consumer reviews included a comment about cupholders. Plenty of CL members in the 2nd Gen IS forums have complained about their cupholders. You must adopt to changing customer tastes.
Old 10-06-09, 08:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Drivers car:

Volkswagen Passat 2.0t w/ 6speed. I promise you, it is a blast to drive...from the small steering wheel to the turbo torque...it may not accelerate as quick as a VR6 model or a V6 Camcord, but it's so much more fun.
That is the same "reasoning" Honda owners give when talking about their slow cars .

If you want a "blast" to drive, just get a go-kart.

When I'm behind the wheel of a car, I want it to drive like A CAR, NOT like a go-cart.

At least the Passat though has more positives than any Honda, like very good ride/handling balance and plenty of torque.
Old 10-06-09, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Should they make the car easier to eat breakfast in? NO. Should they upgrade cupholders? Abosolutely.
Maybe some people take that view....and, while I respect your opinion, I myself don't.....as far as I'm concerned, drive first, and worry about your drink later.

That's why I dislike devices like BMW's I-drive and Audi's MMI so much. You often can't use them and keep your eyes on the road at the same time. You might as well be text-messaging or trying to fool wih a cell phone.

German makers have been arrogantly taking the viewpoint that customers should drive the cars, and not worry about cupholders for years.
That, IMO, is not arrogance......simply common sense.

You must adopt to changing customer tastes.
Drivers also have to adapt. In today's traffic, especially in and around big cities, if you don't keep your eyes on the road, you are asking for trouble.
Old 10-06-09, 09:00 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe some people take that view....and, while I respect your opinion, I myself don't.....as far as I'm concerned, drive first, and worry about your drink later.
Of course driving is important, but thats not an excuse to have a poor excuse for cupholders.
Old 10-06-09, 09:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Of course concentrating on driving is important, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a beverage in a cupholder next to you. Anyone could use a sip when they stop at the lights for example. It's nothing comparable with texting, putting on make-up, etc. ......
Old 10-06-09, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Oh at least it's something different now, the cupholder as topic of the week, lol.
Old 10-06-09, 09:50 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
Drivers car:

Volkswagen Passat 2.0t w/ 6speed. I promise you, it is a blast to drive..
My 4runner is a driver car. It is also a blast to drive.
Old 10-06-09, 10:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That is the same "reasoning" Honda owners give when talking about their slow cars .

If you want a "blast" to drive, just get a go-kart.

When I'm behind the wheel of a car, I want it to drive like A CAR, NOT like a go-cart.

At least the Passat though has more positives than any Honda, like very good ride/handling balance and plenty of torque.
But that is what you want, which may not be what most people want. Car companies sell more cars appealing to a greater number of people.
Old 10-06-09, 10:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

That may be so, but (1) VW isn't trying to perform some public service by using crappy cupholders to try and cut down on distracted driving--they just don't care about listening to their customer (until now), and (2) the fact is the only thing that's going to cut down on distracted driving is legislation (look at all the b**tching on CL about Toyota nav lock out!).

And you mention iDrive--so BMW won't relent on their cupholders because drivers should concentrate on driving, but then they create iDrive???? Again, they are not attempting to save us from ourselves!
Old 10-06-09, 10:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
My 4runner is a driver car. It is also a blast to drive.
And you can off-road too.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Is Steering Toward American Tastes