Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen Is Steering Toward American Tastes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 10:58 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
Drivers car:

Volkswagen Passat 2.0t w/ 6speed. I promise you, it is a blast to drive...from the small steering wheel to the turbo torque...it may not accelerate as quick as a VR6 model or a V6 Camcord, but it's so much more fun.
I'll raise you one better...

Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. Been there, done that, still a product of "compromise" just like all the sports sedans in the world today. In my dictionary they are not "driver's cars", a true driver's car is a no non-sense all out performer (like the Elise and Exige). If the Passat can be a "driver's car" then any of the entry level sports sedans can be a driver's car too, which I don't agree...
Old 10-06-09, 11:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN

Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. Been there, done that, still a product of "compromise" just like all the sports sedans in the world today. In my dictionary they are not "driver's cars", a true driver's car is a no non-sense all out performer (like the Elise and Exige). If the Passat can be a "driver's car" then any of the entry level sports sedans can be a driver's car too, which I don't agree...
I'll raise you one.. Lambo Gallardo.. This vehicle is a VW
Old 10-06-09, 11:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah but how many cup holders does the Lambo Gallardo have?

All I know is, I get behind the wheels of a A4, I have a lot more fun than driving a Camry.
Old 10-06-09, 11:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yeah but how many cup holders does the Lambo Gallardo have?
Driving enthusiasts need to drink bottled water instead of high carb supersize fast food soda. The gunky stuff will only make you too fat to get behind the wheel. VW along with other German automaker cup holders are only good for slim bottles or mugs.

All I know is, I get behind the wheels of a A4, I have a lot more fun than driving a Camry.
The Camry is great to get to & from Church service..
Old 10-06-09, 11:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Driving enthusiasts need to drink bottled water instead of high carb supersize fast food soda. The gunky stuff will only make you too fat to get behind the wheel. VW along with other German automaker cup holders are only good for slim bottles or mugs.
BMW does have crappy cupholders, but the Audi cupholders are ok.
Old 10-06-09, 12:16 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

So what's your point?

I didn't say VW doesn't make "driver's car"... FKL told me to drive a Passat, I told him I drove the A4 already (which is a bit sportier than Passat IMO) and that doesn't impress me.

What's your point on bringing out the Gallardo?

So now the so-called enthusiasts aren't only telling the world what cars to drive they are also telling us what the enthusiasts should drink?

Okay...
Old 10-06-09, 01:24 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN

It's all relative. The Passat has the best all around feel in the mid-sized family car segment. The brakes are excellent, has crisp turn in, nice throttle tip in, great gearbox choices (6speed/dual-clutch), great firm/supportive sport seats, nice torque down low, etc. It's just more geared towards spirited driving than the other competitors. The Camry SE V6 may be able to boast similar grip numbers, but at the end of the day it's really all about feel. The Camry just doesn't have it - the steering is still overboosted and feels sloppy. And the ride/handling tradeoff is huge. Fast car, no doubt, but it's more of a speedboat than anything built from the start for performance.

The A4 is a nice car too, but it's more expensive and doesn't compete with these cars in question (the segment VW is building their "Americanized" cars in). I am not sure what aspect of the A4 didn't impress you (it's clearly not as crisp as a 3-series), but it's a great driving little car in most regards. Plus the build quality has always been beyond reproach.

Last edited by FKL; 10-06-09 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 01:29 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

...Audi actually
Old 10-06-09, 01:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
But that is what you want, which may not be what most people want. Car companies sell more cars appealing to a greater number of people.
So why does Toyota get criticized so much, yet VW (and Honda) gets praised so much by "enthusiasts"?

For ME, as an enthusiast, Toyota offers more of what *I* want than VW or Honda. In terms of comfortable daily driver's cars, Toyota offers what I want.

When taking about a sports or sporty product, I want as little compromise as possible, so that is why Honda and VW don't interest me with their compromised products.

Toyotas are more designed for comfort and refinement than say Hondas or some VWs. They don't have high or overly sporty performance, but I would never want that in a mainstream vehicle.

I want explicitly sporty performance only on an explicit sports car, or ultra-high-performance sports sedan.

Originally Posted by FKL
It's all relative. The Passat has the best all around feel in the mid-sized family car segment. The brakes are excellent, has crisp turn in, nice throttle tip in, great gearbox choices (6speed/dual-clutch), great firm/supportive sport seats, nice torque down low, etc. It's just more geared towards spirited driving than the other competitors. The Camry SE V6 may be able to boast similar grip numbers, but at the end of the day it's really all about feel. The Camry just doesn't have it - the steering is still overboosted and feels sloppy. And the ride/handling tradeoff is huge. Fast car, no doubt, but it's more of a speedboat than anything built from the start for performance.

The A4 is a nice car too, but it's more expensive and doesn't compete with these cars in question (the segment VW is building their "Americanized" cars in). I am not sure what aspect of the A4 didn't impress you (it's clearly not as crisp as a 3-series), but it's a great driving little car in most regards. Plus the build quality has always been beyond reproach.
Just as you're "not sure" what didn't impress him about the A4, I'm equally not sure what didn't impress you about the Camry SE V6 . Don't answer this though, it was a rhetorical question. He clearly explained why he didn't like the A4, because it's a compromise like every other midsize sedan on the market.

Also your circular arguments and reasoning are becoming tiresome. The Passat *might* have the best "feel" in the midsize sedan segment in North America (feel, a concept which is relative and subjective to begin with), but NOT in Europe.

It's ironic that you you praise the Passat so much, which is a (Western) European vehicle, *designed for Europeans*, sold in North America. Then you compare it to North American models designed in North America, which are quite a bit cheaper price-wise than the Passat, and you ultimately declare the Passat as a superior vehicle.

When you compare apples to apples, such as comparing the Passat to OTHER European midsize sedan competitors, suddenly the Passat is not superior at all. The Passat becomes merely average.
Old 10-06-09, 02:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Has anybody noticed Passat's miserable sales numbers in the US lately, well under 1000 units per month. Even the CC is doing much better.
Old 10-06-09, 02:07 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

come on lets keep it civil...
Old 10-06-09, 02:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just to add, because I don't like compromise too much, I want a daily mainstream car to be very comfortable, and refined, which Toyota does well with.

As for sports/sporty or performance, I want no compromise with that either, which means midsize sedans that try too hard to be sporty are out of the question for me. VW and Honda, I'm looking at you.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-06-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 02:19 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

When a Toyota/Lexus doesn't have the numbers to back it up it was always...

Soft this, slow that.

When a Toyota/Lexus that has the numbers to back it up then it becomes...

steering feel this, looks dull that.

Whatever...
Old 10-06-09, 02:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

yep, can't tell everything from the armchair. It's easier to throw around quantitative numbers and call it a day than try and further a valid point with qualitative and sometimes relative sounding aspects like "feel". So be the way it goes...
Old 10-06-09, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
BMW does have crappy cupholders.
Fine......no problem. The Ultimate Driving Machine should not be the Ultimate Drinking Machine.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Is Steering Toward American Tastes