Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen Is Steering Toward American Tastes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 06:58 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Volkswagen Is Steering Toward American Tastes

By V. Dion Haynes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, October 5, 2009
Volkswagen's U.S. chief executive, Stefan Jacoby, sat on the front end of "Max," the black 1964 Beetle with the smart-alecky German accent that figures prominently in the automaker's latest TV ad campaign. The car is a fixture on the sixth floor of the company's corporate office in Herndon, but maybe not for much longer.

In relocating the domestic headquarters from suburban Detroit last year, Jacoby is steering the brand in a new direction that focuses less on the iconic Beetle and cars aimed mainly at young, trendy buyers and more on the expectations of middle-class buyers -- such as cup holders, entertainment systems and other creature comforts.

So in repositioning its brand for mass appeal, Volkswagen is thinking it may have to jettison Max and its niche image.

Germany's Volkswagen is "an icon brand" and "there are a lot of great stories and memories" about the Beetle, Jacoby said in an interview. But, he added, "to play a bigger role here, we need to modify and adapt to American consumers' needs."

Jacoby said the move to the Washington area is a main component of his growth plan. The company, whose charcoal-gray U.S. headquarters houses 415 employees and contractors, has hired 200 people for marketing, communications, sales management and finance jobs, officials said. The company intends to hire about 35 more staff members by 2012.

Like other automakers, Volkswagen Group of America -- which includes the Audi, Volkswagen, Bentley and Lamborghini brands -- has been hit hard by the recession. The U.S. government's "Cash for Clunkers" program offered the automaker a temporary boost in July and August, but sales fell again in September when the program ended. Sales from January to September in the United States decreased to 220,616, from 243,993 during the corresponding period in 2008, a decline of nearly 10 percent, according to MotorIntelligence.com.

Still, the Volkswagen brand managed to increase its market share to 2 percent in 2009 from 1.4 percent in 2008. And Jacoby said he is determined to quadruple companywide U.S. sales to 1 million by 2018.

Officials of the Volkswagen brand -- who used Max during the past year to promote eight new vehicles, including a minivan, a sport-utility vehicle and the clean-diesel Jetta, to mixed results -- are pinning their hopes on a bigger compact sedan that will be introduced in 2010 and a midsize sedan that will be manufactured the following year at a new plant in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Jacoby, 51, offered few details about the cars, other than that they will be among the first Volkswagen vehicles built specifically for American taste. The cars will have a decidedly less European feel, with a more user-friendly steering wheel and entertainment system, an accelerator and brake pedal that are farther apart, and larger cup holders.

"Here, there is more cruising and long-distance driving. In Europe, there are more tiny roads and you drive more actively than in the United States," Jacoby said.

"We Germans drive and we are not drinking in the car," he added. "Americans have breakfast and coffee in the car. We have to adjust to this."

Analysts expressed skepticism about Volkswagen's plan to tap into the mainstream, saying that by changing what makes the vehicles distinctive, the automaker runs the risk of turning off its loyal customers while failing to woo new ones.

"The concern is that if they dilute [their image] too much they will end up upsetting their owner base, which will go somewhere else," said Wes Brown, a partner in Iceology, a Los Angeles-based consumer research and consulting firm that follows Volkswagen.

At the same time, he added, "you may struggle to get a new base. If I'm a Toyota or Honda owner, why am I going to leave?"

In addition to overhauling the image of the Volkswagen brand, Jacoby is upgrading the network of 577 dealers around the country. Half of the dealers now sell only Volkswagen models, and Jacoby wants to increase that to 65 percent, a move he said would improve the quality of the operations for customers.

The automaker plans to offer more diesel-powered vehicles in the United States. Volkswagen's diesel vehicles, the Jetta TDI and Jetta SportWagen TDI, were popular over the summer and virtually sold out under the Cash for Clunkers program.

Company officials said a key part of their growth strategy will be to expand Audi, whose share in the luxury-car market increased to 8.3 percent this year from 6.4 percent last year. Audi officials say they do not intend to duplicate the Volkswagen strategy in Americanizing the cars. Audi, which has introduced 19 car lines between 2006 and 2008, intends to open several new dealerships, including operations in Chantilly, Alexandria and Silver Spring.

"We are raising our profile," said Johan de Nysschen, president of Audi of America. "Our goal is to have 10 percent of the luxury market share in the Washington area by the end of 2011," up from the current 8.5 percent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines
Old 10-04-09, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Audi, which has introduced 19 car lines between 2006 and 2008, intends to open several new dealerships, including operations in Chantilly, Alexandria and Silver Spring.
Good. Those places are fairly close to my home. That will make new Audis easier to review and test-drive. There is only one near my home right now.
Old 10-04-09, 07:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good. Those places are fairly close to my home. That will make new Audis easier to review and test-drive. There is only one near my home right now.
Just to review & test-drive ? How about make it easier to buy one ?
Old 10-04-09, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Just to review & test-drive ? How about make it easier to buy one ?
Not out of the question. I do like the 2.0T and the DSG (S-Tronic) combination....and, of course, the Quattro drivetrain. Problem is, though, they just don't have Subaru or Lexus reliability.

But, right now, I have CL review requests for two new Audis.

"We Germans drive and we are not drinking in the car," he added. "Americans have breakfast and coffee in the car. We have to adjust to this."
They shouldn't HAVE to adjust to something like this. Americans who do this (and anyone else who tries to multitask while driving) should simply have more sense. It's not up to auto companies to teach people how to drive safely....they're already supposed to know how to do that when they buy a car.
Old 10-04-09, 08:09 PM
LexFather

Smart.....Honda, Toyota, Nissan all build here and changed for American tastes. You have to cater to your market. Its not like VWs from Europe are some sort of handling kings anyway, most are just Toyotaish vehicles as VW is Europes Toyota.

This is going to be a big deal as there is a lot of energy and money going into VWs risk of making it big in America. Someobody is going to get squeezed out.

Their loyal customer base is not that large a base so the PAYOFF is bigger than staying where they are.

I look forward to see what they come up with!

Old 10-04-09, 08:19 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I find this to be unfortunate news as a car enthusiast but it's probably a smart move considering the general public is actually the target market.
Old 10-04-09, 09:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its a common misconception that drivers in Yurop are somehow anymore sophisticated than us here in the USA. They are the same people as us, and enjoy the same things as we do. Not having cupholders in a car is just silly and unacceptable, no matter where or who you are... unless of course the government comes up with some ridiculous cupholder tax.
Old 10-04-09, 10:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to welcome the increased competition in the American market.
Old 10-04-09, 10:46 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Smart.....Honda, Toyota, Nissan all build here and changed for American tastes. You have to cater to your market. Its not like VWs from Europe are some sort of handling kings anyway, most are just Toyotaish vehicles as VW is Europes Toyota.
Wrong. A Jetta is not a "Corolla with a nicer interior". It's a more expensive, upscale, and refined car. It drives better, and handles better. End of Story.

The Passat and Tiguan are no different. They cost thousands more than the "Americanized" vehicles from the Japanese because they are more refined and have a crisp dynamic sense that the others just don't have.

And guess what VW figured out? The typical American buyer who gobbles up Toyotas and Hondas doesn't care about those qualities. Bad for any enthusiast, great if you enjoy the bloated nature of the latest Accords and Camrys. Count me as one who isn't a fan.
Old 10-04-09, 10:50 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well then.. what's the point of VW? They're supposed to be an "affordable German car"... or European car manufacturer for that matter. It's for those that appreciate driving and enjoy driving a European car but don't need or want the brand snob appeal of an Audi/BMW/MB.

Unless what VW is telling us is that most people who aren't buying VWs avoid it because it doesn't float like a boat and have 10 cupholders.
Old 10-04-09, 10:52 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^Exactly. The problem magnifies even more if they don't improve their reliability/dependability/cost of ownership issues. Like the article says, "If I'm a Toyota or Honda owner, why am I going to leave?". As is, VWs are a different breed of vehicles from an Americanized Korean/Japanese/domestic vehicle. Throw that overboard and you're left with nothing.
Old 10-04-09, 10:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Wrong. A Jetta is not a "Corolla with a nicer interior". It's a more expensive, upscale, and refined car. It drives better, and handles better. End of Story.

The Passat and Tiguan are no different. They cost thousands more than the "Americanized" vehicles from the Japanese because they are more refined and have a crisp dynamic sense that the others just don't have.

And guess what VW figured out? The typical American buyer who gobbles up Toyotas and Hondas doesn't care about those qualities. Bad for any enthusiast, great if you enjoy the bloated nature of the latest Accords and Camrys. Count me as one who isn't a fan.
VW is the Euro Toyota. PERIOD END OF STORY. I am not going to debate which car vs car is better. What this article is about is SALES and VW knows their sales here currently are pretty poor THUS their new approach of selling Americans what Americans want.

Pretty novel concept.

I am completely tired at this point of people bashing and hating on cars not INTENDED to be sporty. Especially since many not only sell well but keep their owners VERY happy.

Most people can't even DRIVE so what is the point of being behind a "sportier" car. So you can puff your chest on the internet?

Old 10-04-09, 11:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Catering to flakey America is not a safe business bet.
Old 10-04-09, 11:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think if they want to build to American tastes they need to make them more reliable. we dont have issue with the european design and quality. Its the lack of reliability. They need to chase the rankings like Toyota and Lexus
Old 10-04-09, 11:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think if they want to build to American tastes they need to make them more reliable. we dont have issue with the european design and quality. Its the lack of reliability. They need to chase the rankings like Toyota and Lexus
This is a good point. They also have awful vehicle allocation and dealerships are okay at best. While a more "American" product should help in America, they have other areas of opportunity as well.

I understand the "they need to stay German" argument but it hasn't worked for them with sales. Its clear most people don't see it as a buying advantage, otherwise Jettas and Passats etc would be best sellers (they are nice cars).

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Is Steering Toward American Tastes