Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How much does the dealership and dealership service experience matter to you?
High priority for me and even has affected a vehicle buying decision
83.33%
Indifferent, dealer service and looks etc is great if good, doesn't matter if bad
0%
Low Priority for me, could care less, no impact on vehicle buying
0%
Whatever is cheapest works for me
16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKBLOG: Real Deal Dealerships and Dealer****s

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 10:25 PM
LexFather

Post 1SICKBLOG: Real Deal Dealerships and Dealer****s

Last week you all were blessed with no blog and this week I wasn't sure what I was going to write on UNTIL we took my G/Fs Altima in for an oil change Saturday. In my past thread, I explained how we took it to Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett http://www.lexusgwinnett.com/ for a 30k service (wow just last month) and they did a stellar job with it, washed it, gave her a new RX loaner and she was just blown away by the complete experience, from the people to the service. The car since the 30k service has driven fine and they replaced/checked what was needed and its great we can get other vehicles serviced there. They helped possibly sell a Lexus when her lease is up. This is the 2nd time (and 2nd different Nissan dealer) I've been to recently and the observations are the basis for this blog.

As most of you know, my first car was a hand down Sentra. I loved it (and still respect her). I do remember the shoddy Nissan dealerships though when my folks took it in for service and I do remember my folks not exactly leaving feeling like valued customers. Back then I just expected lies, crappy service and it was the norm. I also expected to sit in a lounge that resembled a large litter box. It was no big deal then and sitting next to the guy with the ankle bracelet was no biggie This was like most all dealerships I surmised.

I thought I had a good car in the form of a Hyundai Scoupe Turbo going into college (whoo hoo) looked good, loaded and well cheap. Until I spent every weekend getting unscheduled maintenance for it over a summer and over the year I had it. A complete POS. I mean in Websters, next to "POS" there is a picture of a Hyundai Scoupe. If I had 99 problems, 99 were about the damn Scoupe.

To complicate matters, the dealers I went too were HORRID. Lies, waits, lies, waits, doing the job wrong, just horrible. They also smelled, were dirty and it was like being in ShawShank Redemption. I wouldn't wish ANYONE on those dealerships back then (including the Acura guys that love me ). I remember going in to get my A/C compressor fixed and these asshats replaced one side of the turbo door with a standard panel. My car had two different colored doors. I was YOUNG and in retrospect, these are the people you need to impress early as they will buy vehicles in the future. I did promise NEVER to buy another Hyundai after the horrible ownership experience (and I NEVER would have predicted where they are today then, a shame as I like some of their vehicles).

Surely you see where this is going. Quality and DEALER SERVICE became a critical buying factor for me. While young, I did not want to continue to be frustrated by dealership service. I drive too much, I am too much of a car enthusiast and going to jail for beating a serviceman's *** was not in the career plans.

I don't mean to sound like a snob but DAMNIT, I LOVE LEXUS DEALERSHIPS. I truly do. Going to the Nissan dealers recently has given me new appreciation for them. (I am not PICKING on Nissan, that is just my experience b/c of you know who ). They are clean. You get asked for help 10 times. THEY ARE CLEAN. They are state of the art. They seem like galleries. They smell fresh. You can easily see employees working on your car. The employees don't seem like they are on work-release. There is juice, snacks. If you are lucky, you get that "massage" in the rear by that cute receptionist. J/K

Never would I have thought that DEALERSHIP SERVICE would remain a critical car buying component and that non luxury brands would have numerous vehicles (and very good ones) in the same segment and price as luxury brands.

I am not picking on Nissan here and won't name the dealerships. However both were cold, old and in dire need of expansion and or refreshing. The people all looked like they hated their job. The lounges were filthy and packed to capacity. I have to admit one did have a bunch of different teas (I love tea) so that was good. The service people had dirty hands, clothes and I'm thinking "they are going in her car"?? I also admit both did give correct estimates on time and the car was ready. No bottled water, you drank from a water fountain or that dirty crystal water dispenser no one has cleaned since they stopped making the Nissan Pulsar.

Saturday I drove behind my G/F as she was going to help a friend and we were going to check Maximas again (I love that car). Well they tell her an oil change will take 2 hours. Fine, no biggie BUT she gets no loaner. SO I WAS GLAD I could drive behind her to take her to her friends election campaign. Otherwise, what does she do, miss that and wait for 2 hours? Call me? This was a Saturday and a loaner would have been perfect for two hours. Instead I then drive her and help her friend hopefully get elected by having 1SICKLEX endorse him and help as well.

It was a beautiful day and as we pull up 2 hours later the car is sitting in the sun dirty as we left it. I have to say it actually threw me off it wasn't washed. Then I had to remember where I was. I felt bad, it was so nice and my G/F has this dirty *** car leaving the dealer.

Finally it hit home why some of these non luxury brands will struggle to sell luxury vehicles. 40k Fords, 40k Hyundais, 40k Chevy's etc. At that price range, there is a good chance someone has experience with a luxury marque with pretty good dealer service. The thought of getting maybe 1/2 that experience spending near the same money can keep one away, especially if you drive a lot or have multiple vehicles.

I am not one to forget where I came from and my first baby, my Sentra. That said I really don't have any intentions of going BACK where I came from and this is a factor on getting a wonderful Maxima when her lease is up next spring. Now that she has had "Lexus experience" with her Nissan, her eyes have been opened to much much better dealership and dealership service. NEVER NEVER NEVER would I thought I would be one to prefer bottled water to a faucet. I guess though its like when you date someone that LOVES to give Fellatio and you love going to her dealership for service and you then date someone that DOESN'T, you end up with the "WTF" thoughts and face with the person that doesn't do it!

Please share your comparisons and thoughts here, much appreciated.

Mike

Last edited by LexFather; 10-04-09 at 10:31 PM.

Old 10-04-09, 10:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, Mike you need to visit Bay Ridge Lexus here in Brooklyn. Its the most disgusting, unfriendly place, and I simply dread going there on the rare occasions when I have to. So its not just a dealership experience with a particular brand, each dealer is different.
Old 10-04-09, 10:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Well, Mike you need to visit Bay Ridge Lexus here in Brooklyn. Its the most disgusting, unfriendly place, and I simply dread going there on the rare occasions when I have to. So its not just a dealership experience with a particular brand, each dealer is different.
Which I can agree to. Has it affected any decisions? Have you moved to another dealership?

While my experience with various Lexus dealerships vary from "yall can go under hell" to "you can have my sister for 30 minutes yall are so awesome" they were ALL very clean, pristine, the usual goodies, pretty empty and loaners were available.

Old 10-04-09, 10:53 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly, I don't think you can judge entire companies based on one dealer or even a few dealership experiences.

I own a Maxima. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me as it was the first car I completely bought on my own.

I recently did an oil change at Longo Lexus. They charged $225 (and I bought my own Mobile 1 oil). They scratched my IS F rim, even though I warned them specifically about being careful and using only had tools. Then they initially denied that they did it, that the scratch even existed, that I had it before coming into the dealership, etc.

When I do oil changes at my local Nissan dealer, they charge me $13 (and I bring my own oil). It's done in about an hour which I usually spend looking at the cars in the showroom. They wash the car for me. The waiting room has free bottles of water, fresh baked cookies (they have their own Otis Spunkmeyer oven), newspapers, breakfast goods, juices and popcorn. Everything is clean and nice. I always leave wondering how Lexus manages to charge $200+ for the same freakin' service.
Old 10-04-09, 10:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
Frankly, I don't think you can judge entire companies based on one dealer or even a few dealership experiences.

I own a Maxima. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me as it was the first car I completely bought on my own.

I recently did an oil change at Longo Lexus. They charged $225 (and I bought my own Mobile 1 oil). They scratched my IS F rim, even though I warned them specifically about being careful and using only had tools. Then they initially denied that they did it, that the scratch even existed, that I had it before coming into the dealership, etc.

When I do oil changes at my local Nissan dealer, they charge me $13 (and I bring my own oil). It's done in about an hour which I usually spend looking at the cars in the showroom. They wash the car for me. The waiting room has free bottles of water, fresh baked cookies (they have their own Otis Spunkmeyer oven), newspapers, breakfast goods, juices and popcorn. Everything is clean and nice. I always leave wondering how Lexus manages to charge $200+ for the same freakin' service.
Thanks for the post. I am sharing my experiences, I am not trying to say all dealerships (Lexus/Nissan/Hyundai in my case) are the same.

What I am trying to uncover is how important the dealer service and dealership is, irregardless of make.

Old 10-04-09, 11:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which I can agree to. Has it affected any decisions? Have you moved to another dealership?
Yeah, I deal with them as little as possible.

In fact, my fist determining factor when choosing whether to go to a particular dealership, is parking. For instance your experience with Bay Ridge Lexus starts with lack of parking for customers, and its located in a heavy traffic area with little street parking, and that is just unacceptable. To be fair, most dealerships are like that around here... Life Quality BMW in downtown, Kings Infiniti, Plaza Acura - none of them have a complimentary parking lot. I personally would rather drive extra 30 minutes to a dealership in suburban area with a convenient parking lot, than spend 30 minutes looking for a parking space 19 blocks away.

While my experience with various Lexus dealerships vary from "yall can go under hell" to "you can have my sister for 30 minutes yall are so awesome" they were ALL very clean, pristine, the usual goodies, pretty empty and loaners were available.
Pics of said sister
Old 10-04-09, 11:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

AZ has nothing but brand new dealerships ( relatively) so they are looking high tech, and they still offer the lexus quality service (most of the time)
Old 10-04-09, 11:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Taking a Nissan to a Lexus dealership for an oil change... that brings up some questions. Mainly, "why?" Aren't they going to charge an arm and a leg for a simple oil change that any dealer can do? Certainly there has to be some better dealers out there other than your ratty Nissan store. Isn't there some middle ground to be found w/o having to pay the primo Lexus charges? Doesn't the Nissan require filters that Lexus does not stock? Maybe it's worth the high-end loaners and clean service, but I am having a hard time putting my mouth over it.
Old 10-04-09, 11:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

it has to be very high priority IMHO because you spend 2-3 hours with the sales team and 3-5 years with the service department. Service department quality is one of the main reasons I did not buy another Infiniti after buying 2 G35 sedans
Old 10-04-09, 11:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Taking a Nissan to a Lexus dealership for an oil change... that brings up some questions. Mainly, "why?" Aren't they going to charge an arm and a leg for a simple oil change that any dealer can do? Certainly there has to be some better dealers out there other than your ratty Nissan store. Isn't there some middle ground to be found w/o having to pay the primo Lexus charges? Doesn't the Nissan require filters that Lexus does not stock? Maybe it's worth the high-end loaners and clean service, but I am having a hard time putting my mouth over it.
Good question. The Nissan dealer and Lexus dealer price was pretty comparable and again, the benefits of a washed car, loaner and I'd rather spend money at "my" great dealership who I have a great relationship with than another place. Another part is I really appreciate my G/F and I want her to experience something better than what she was used to. Finally unlike the Nissan dealer, I have 100% confidence in the work in Hennessy Lexus and the people stand behind what they do. That is reassuring. She has taken her car in for squeaky brakes like 5 times. Annoying for her.

Most all dealerships have access to ALL car maker parts and can get them same day/overnight. Its no biggie.

FYI,
it was for a 30k service, not an oil change. We took the Altima to a NIssan dealer for an oil change.

Old 10-04-09, 11:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Good question. The Nissan dealer and Lexus dealer price was pretty comparable and again, the benefits of a washed car, loaner and I'd rather spend money at "my" great dealership who I have a great relationship with than another place. Another part is I really appreciate my G/F and I want her to experience something better than what she was used to. Finally unlike the Nissan dealer, I have 100% confidence in the work in Hennessy Lexus and the people stand behind what they do. That is reassuring. She has taken her car in for squeaky brakes like 5 times. Annoying for her.

Most all dealerships have access to ALL car maker parts and can get them same day/overnight. Its no biggie.

FYI,
it was for a 30k service, not an oil change. We took the Altima to a NIssan dealer for an oil change.
Thanks for the informative answers. In some of these cases, I think the saying "You get what you pay for," rings true. In this case, it's the entire brand that provides exceptional service.
Also, nice of you to treat your girl to it. This is often how new relationships between people and cars begin.
Old 10-05-09, 12:00 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as long as i get a loaner car, i couldn't give 2 shts if the dealership stank

just keep my car clean, and put plastic draping over the seats
Old 10-05-09, 12:21 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me the service makes no difference, to be honest with you I'm more into the deal I can get. My g/f on the other hand is all about the service with all things. If she does not get service she feels is acceptable she will not go back there (dealerships, stores, restaurants, etc). Having said that, my g/f is also willing to pay a premium for good service even though she might be able to get the same thing somewhere else for a cheaper price.

To your point about not getting a loaner for a oil change. Many dealers, Lexus included (at least in my area), will not provide you a loaner unless they need to keep you car the whole day/over night and that is only if when you scheduled your appointment you specifically asked for a loaner. I know this to be the case with a few of my local dealers (Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, and MBZ).
Old 10-05-09, 04:39 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1Sick, I thought I read it wrong at first, but you DO bring your Nissan to Lexus for service. Now that's crazy... ha ha, but you enjoy it, so that's good enough for me. I too like to be pampered once in a while and bring the old lady (the '99 RX, not my wife) into the dealer and get a new loaner to drive around town.

Like many have said before, not all dealerships are indicative of what the corporate company brand stands for. Just like there are plenty of bad Lexus dealerships as noted on these forums, but there are probably some very good regular (Hyundai, Ford, Honda) dealership networks. It all depends on how the operators wish to conduct business. Do they want repeat business, or do they just see their customers as cattle ready for slaughter.

I've been lucky thus far, the three or four different Lexus dealerships I've dealt with in my area have all been very professional.
Old 10-05-09, 10:03 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a story for you.

I bought a used Pick truck about 8 months ag0. It's an 06 Titan. I walked in the dealership to find out the prices on the 08 Titans. One of the local dealers had an unsold 08, which he was willing to let it go for 24, it retailed at 33 something. While I was there, I realized that I am only going to use the truck to haul my car to the track so do I really need a new one. I said to myself 'I'm only going to drive it 6000 miles a year or so, so why buy a new one?"

As they sales guy was showing me the new truck, I asked him, 'do you have any used ones in stock?' He said 'Oh yeah, someone has just traded in their 06 for an 09'

So we went to look at it. It has 58K miles on it, it was dirty inside, because some carpenter owned it, but over all the truck was just perfect, just what i was looking for.

I begin to negotiate and we sat down for good 2-3 hours, and finally the manager said 'OK, I'll accept your offer'. They got th contract ready and I sat down with the manager and as I am about to sign, I noticed that the manager has included $500 "lot fee". I asked what it was, the manager said "its for all the services they had to perform to the vehicle to certify it" I was surprised and I asked "Oh it's certified?" He said, "oh yes yes"

Long story short, they asked that since the vehicle has just came in, why don't I pick it up tomorrow, so they can clean it and prepare it. I agreed.

I went back the next day to pick it up, it was snowing that day, so I didn't notice anything right away, but once I got home I was horrified by all the things I noticed with the truck.
1. Windshield was cracked.
2. Front tires were completely gone.
3. Exhaust from muffler back was missing.
4. AC switches did not work.
5. The tail door did not close properly.

I went back and I was fuming. They acted surprised, but considering I paid a $500 fee to have it certified, I didn't accept their excuses.

They did repair the vehicle; however, it took me few trips before they addressed all the issues.

I swore that I will never go back their again. I talk to few of my buddies who are in Car Customization business, they all said the same thing, that particular dealer is a crook.

http://bedfordnissan.reachlocal.net/

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: Real Deal Dealerships and Dealer****s