Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

best interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 01:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default best interior lighting

So which car do you think has the best interior lighting? My past Audi A4 was pretty cool with all red glowing at night. Kind of had a jet fighter cockpit look. My old Passat was similar, but with dark blue mixed in. The IS250 is pretty nice, save for the green button lights. If they would just switch over to a cool white or light blue like the gauges, I think it would be the best interior at night! As of now, the neatest I've seen is in the new Audi TT with Prestige Package. It's a cool mix of red and white LED's. The white really jumps out and looks high tech without being too bright.

Those are what I have been exposed to. Maybe there are some other amazing ones out there? Pics?
Old 10-05-09, 02:06 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The red dash lights didn't bother you? THere's Red on G35's and VW i think also..
Old 10-05-09, 02:16 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
The red dash lights didn't bother you? THere's Red on G35's and VW i think also..
Never detected a problem with the red. I did read red is "harsh" though. I found it subtle and more in the background.
The older G35's were more orange if I recall. The newer ones are red, white, and blue, similar to my mom's Acura MDX.
Old 10-05-09, 02:37 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the new MB's ambient [theater] lighting at night in the S and E-Class. It's classy.
Old 10-05-09, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Was Lexus first with ambiant lighting with the old bulbs and first with LEDs inside cars? Or were they first to do it widespread? That is something I've wondered.

Today I do like the Benz lighting and Lexus interior lighting. Its funny to see so many people on other forums asking "how do I get my interior/license plate to look like a Lexus" as the LEDs are a popular mod.

Old 10-05-09, 08:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The led mood lighting that wraps around the interior of the 3 series coupe is amoung the best I've seen in a stock car. The standard led lighting on the door handles & license plate area are a really nice touch also..
Old 10-05-09, 09:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rolls Royce's starlight headliner is the bomb!!!
Attached Thumbnails best interior lighting-phantomstarlight_headlining.jpg  
Old 10-05-09, 03:22 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have any real opinion on instrument lighting because most of the Tier 1s do it pretty darn well.

In terms of just interior lighting I would have to say that my Dad's Mini Cooper S has to have the coolest. You can change the colors too! I stole some pics from another thread to show:
Attached Thumbnails best interior lighting-2296364319_60c8e6e31a.jpg   best interior lighting-3528914201_bd72ccc885_b.jpg  
Old 10-05-09, 04:03 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Originally Posted by lucasb7
I dont have any real opinion on instrument lighting because most of the Tier 1s do it pretty darn well.

In terms of just interior lighting I would have to say that my Dad's Mini Cooper S has to have the coolest. You can change the colors too! I stole some pics from another thread to show:
Both have something in common.. They are BMW Group products..

Here are some pics from the net of the mood lighting in the 335 coupe.
Front door

There are also some overhead LEDS that shine down on the front & rear consoles that are hot as well.. I can't find pics right now..
Old 10-05-09, 04:35 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I would have to agree on the BMW E92.
Old 10-05-09, 07:46 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Last edited by FKL; 10-05-09 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 08:40 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Phil you took a trip to my brain.
Old 10-05-09, 09:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say S-Class and those pics that the others post help with the visualisation.

The MINI photo looks awesome!
Old 10-05-09, 11:50 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I think the 3GS has a great interior+exterior lighting. Everything inside is LED (except vanity mirror), yet nothing looks tacky. Car flood lights fade in as you approach the car, and key lights light up smaller things like the Lexus logo on the steering wheel, footwells, etc. Likewise, there is a light that is always on to make the shifter visible, yet it doesn't light up anything else.
Old 10-06-09, 03:41 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad people are posting pics of other cars. I had read about the S-Class wrap-around, but never seen it. Didn't even know the 335i had the door lighting. Really looks good! My friend's 4-door 328i doesn't have anything like that.
You're right, I think we take for granted our license plate LED's. When I was shopping around for a car, that was one feature that wooed me in with the IS. Now I don't even think about it! I keep telling my mom and dad, let's go to dinner in two cars so I can see what my car looks like from the outside. They of course think I'm nuts.
Is the Mini Cooper lighting standard or did your dad alter it?
Back to the Audi TT Prestige I mentioned. When I said it had interior LED's, I was referring to the white lighting for the gauges and numbers/digits. It's not just the lighs we all have in our headliners, etc. The actual numerals are brite like LED's. Audi simply calls it the "LED light package," but I'm curious as to how they pull it off w/o being too bright. It really looked cool. A quick search at Audi pulled up nothing. Any pics?

Quick Reply: best interior lighting