Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 10:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Just lease one and return it
Yes my 2001 Mercedes was definitely a POS disposable car that was returned at end of lease with out of warranty defects. MB used car manager looked the other way knowing the car was going to be auctioned off.

Thankfully the newest design Mercedes models are far more reliable.
Old 10-18-09, 10:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I hope Mercedes gets its reliability issues in check because I would like to roll a benz before I die
Some postive evidence in that regard with the new C-class which is far more reliable and better built than any Mercedes that I've experienced in last decade. But it takes more than one redesigned model and a couple of years to establish a trend.
Old 10-19-09, 06:28 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 10-21-09, 08:36 AM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it has armour TANK panels installed
Old 11-01-09, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Autocar

The Mercedes CLS is being fine-tuned for production ahead of its launch at next year’s Paris motor show.

It will be the firm’s first model to get a new range of turbocharged, direct injection petrol engines. All of these units will be turbocharged when the car goes on sale soon after its unveiling.

Mercedes isn’t moving too far from the four-door coupe theme that it pioneered. Although the car will be recognisably a CLS, the styling is all new, with a significantly different rear end with new rear lights and a very different boot lid.

The frameless doors remain and the rear arches mimic the distinctive shape of the E-class coupe.

The new engine line up starts with a 3.0-litre V6 with 252 and 306bhp. Two big petrol twin-turbo V8s will be available, a 4.6 with 435bhp and a 5.5 with 544bhp.

The diesels include the new 2.1-litre four-cylinder with 204bhp and an upgraded 3.0-litre V6 with 231bhp.

Underneath the CLS is based on the new E-class, but doesn’t get an extended wheelbase; at 2874mm it’s the same as the new E-class and the current CLS. The car will be 4925mm long.

Inside the car will retain its unique dashboard and a four-seat layout, using switchgear and elements from the new E-class.

Pics: Carpix

Old 11-02-09, 07:01 AM
Milla...

I have a feeling that the new styling of the tailights are going to make the rear end of this beloved CLS ugly..
Old 11-02-09, 07:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
I have a feeling that the new styling of the tailights are going to make the rear end of this beloved CLS ugly..
I dunno, I think I like them already even with the disguise
And the rendering above looks very nice too, better than the current CLS
Old 11-02-09, 09:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

What is up with Mercedes and these Asian-esque tail lights lately?
Old 11-02-09, 09:12 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Not looking forward to this redesign. That front end looks nasty.
Old 11-02-09, 09:49 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
What is up with Mercedes and these Asian-esque tail lights lately?
The reason I hated the last gen E Class, tails were to big round and bulbous. Also the reason I don't care for the current big daddy CL.
Old 11-02-09, 10:48 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Two big petrol twin-turbo V8s will be available, a 4.6 with 435bhp and a 5.5 with 544bhp.
just what I was waiting for
Old 11-04-09, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The Mercedes-Benz CLS ignited the four-door coupe market when it was first introduced back in 2004, and since then we’ve seen several other luxury rivals attempt to emulate the design with cars like the 2010 Porsche Panamera, recently revealed 2010 Aston Martin Rapide and upcoming Audi A7.

Now, prototypes for Mercedes’ next-generation CLS has been spotted, revealing a few subtle clues about the new model. The new car is expected to be launched in late 2010 as a 2011 model and positioned more upmarket to bring it in line with some of its more premium rivals. This will also allow Mercedes-Benz to introduce a second four-door coupe model, rumored to be based on its next-generation small car platform.

The new design will feature a wider track, as indicated by the extended wheel arches seen on previous test mules, and according to insiders its platform is borrowed from the current S-Class sedan flagship.

New to the CLS will be a hybrid option based on the same powertrain as the one used in the recently revealed S400 BlueHybrid. Other engine options will include both V-6 and V-8 powerplants, and there will be a high-performance AMG model, which you can see spy shots of by clicking here.

Also rumoured to be in the works is a new ‘shooting brake’ variant.
Source
Old 11-04-09, 08:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Shooting brake variant ...

he Mercedes-Benz CLS ignited the four-door coupe market when it was first introduced back in 2004, and since then we’ve seen several other luxury rivals attempt to emulate the design with cars like the 2010 Porsche Panamera, recently revealed 2010 Aston Martin Rapide and upcoming Audi A7.

For the second-generation CLS, expected to arrive in late 2010 as a 2011 model, Mercedes is set to popularize a niche segment once again, this time reinvigorating the ‘Shooting Brake’ bodystyle.

The Shooting Brake is essentially a two-door wagon, and Mercedes designers hinted at the possibility of a modern version with the unveiling of the ConceptFASCINATION study at the Paris Motor Show. While the ConceptFASCINATION was based around the design of the new 2010 E-Class Coupe, which is expected to spawn a Shooting Brake model of its own, our inside source suggests that a new CLS version will be offered as well.

The new design will feature a wider track than on the current CLS, as indicated by the extended wheel arches seen on previous test mules, and according to insiders its platform is borrowed from the S-Class sedan flagship.

The new CLS range is expected to be positioned more upmarket to bring it in line with some of its more premium rivals. This will also allow Mercedes to introduce a second four-door coupe model, rumored to be based on its next-generation small car platform.
source
Old 11-04-09, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i suppose they are rendering, doesn't look too bad imho, i kind of like the new taillights. like the new fogs too, one thing i don't like about the new e is the weird way for the led fogs

the shooting brake version though, err...
Old 11-04-09, 09:55 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hmm I still like my CLS exterior better but i'm sure this one will grow on me. I always thought the CLS was more upmarket even though it was really a sporty E class. I guess now since it's basis on the S class the interior is going to be better and the price is going to go up at least 5K. Great!

The only thing I don't care for is the arch over the back tires. I'm sure the AMG version will look 2 times better.

Last edited by rogers2; 11-04-09 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)