Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 07:31 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with 1sicklex. The present CLS interior is near perfection, with its huge slabs of wood and organic shapes. DAMN these new Benz interiors are ugly in comparison.
Old 02-11-10, 07:35 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I prefer the newer interiors. Even though its more boxy, it looks more modern. Out with the jaguar "old" luxury, and in with "new" luxury.

As expected, it carries basically the same interior as the E class.
Old 02-11-10, 09:39 PM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is up with the stupid looking side mirrors on all the new mercedes?
Old 02-11-10, 11:24 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ its a wind noise issue. the new mirrors are sleeker
Old 02-12-10, 02:35 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the new CLS is looking really clumsy and awkward.

that nose looks very fat and heavy, and is throwing off the whole sleekness
Old 02-12-10, 06:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have really never been much a fan of Mercedes interiors, but this new batch of them is absolutely horrendous. The interiors of the GLK and C are at the bottom rung among their competitors- flat, bland, uninspired, tons of little plastic buttons, and monotone. Really a shame.

The E class continued the flat, squared off, rigid 80s look that I grew to hate, and now they have done it to the CLS which is one of my favorite MB cars. I have no idea who approved this design language for their cabins but I have a sneaking suspicion it's an 80 year old BLIND man.

I'm disappointed.
Old 02-12-10, 01:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Man that interior is straight out of a 80's car! No go on the new CLS for me. Only cars that still turn me on from MB are the S and CL class.
Old 02-12-10, 05:15 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dustin its clear on a LEXUS forum people will LIKE The LX. Have you sat in one? The interior goes very well with the big 4x4 boxy feel. SUV design and car design is completely different.

This isn't about the LX, its about the CLS.

The point is that boxy styling cues are automatically defined here as being "outdated".

My question is WHY?

Can someone please show me the 10 Commandments of automotive design where it explicitly states that boxy design is outdated and should not be used in the 21st century. It would be nice if these people would back up their claims with facts instead of just hating on something.

Automakers don't automatically design an interior out of the blue and add it to a car. There is a process of trial and error behind designing an interior, selecting the appropriate materials and further evolving it. You have your in-house interior design team and you have external trial groups. These small trial groups are shown life-size mock-up models of the interior with various materials and are then asked questions on how they would rate the interior from a design and material point of view as well as what could use improvement etc. The mock-up allows the participants to sit in and literally experience the cabin.

In fact this process was shown on television by a highly educational channel here in Germany named N24 (www.n24.de). This channel always features interesting documentary reports on various topics from something as simple as the history of razor blades to automotive design studious. The report I saw on N24 focused on the development of the Porsche Panamera cabin. You can bet that Mercedes and even Lexus work with the same or similar methods. Obviously, the current E class interior received good marks from testers if this process was used.

The Germans have a saying here which is not only confined to Germany or Europe: Weniger ist mehr (less is more) - it is a saying that we use in the advertising business here and it very likely also used in automotive design, especially by Mercedes from what I have seen. The meaning of this phrase is simple: don't be to complex because complexity ruins the flow/design (or in case of advertising the message / understandability of the advert).

I realize that this is a Lexus forum so there exists a heavy and somewhat blind bias towards Lexus. I'm not a design expert by any means nor do I claim to be one. But I find the current E class interior to be classy and simple. The simpleness of the interior, I feel, gives it its elegance and harmonious flow. To me it is pleasing to the eye. And I also find that the new E class cabin is very MODERN in appearance. It's the same with the spartan interior of my BMW 118d. I'm just a human being with my own tastes in design and I like simple, straightforward no nonsense design. At this point I have to confess that my favorite Lexus interiors are found in the GS and ES and to an extent the SC430. Why? Weniger ist mehr / less is more. These cabins have a relatively simple design language which to me creates an elegant flow. The other Lexus cabins are too busy for my tastes, thus lacking the simplistic elegance found in the cars I just mentioned. A personal opinion, if you will, backed up with an explanation.

I've not sat in an LX570 by the way. And it doesn't matter. The pictures are enough to bring across the boxy styling used on this interior. But since it is a Lexus the boxy interior of the LX570 is obviously very modern because the design experts on this forum have stated so. Sarcasm intended.

And please don't accuse me of being pro-German. I am simply being objective here, stating my viewpoint and backing it up with either facts or explanations. I like going against the stream, I like to question things. Having an argumentative war here is good from time to time.

At the end of the day there isn't one design in the world that can please everyone who sees it. There will always be lovers and haters.
Old 02-12-10, 05:22 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DustinV
The point is that boxy styling cues are automatically defined here as being "outdated".

My question is WHY?

Can someone please show me the 10 Commandments of automotive design where it explicitly states that boxy design is outdated and should not be used in the 21st century. It would be nice if these people would back up their claims with facts instead of just hating on something.

Automakers don't automatically design an interior out of the blue and add it to a car. There is a process of trial and error behind designing an interior, selecting the appropriate materials and further evolving it. You have your in-house interior design team and you have external trial groups. These small trial groups are shown life-size mock-up models of the interior with various materials and are then asked questions on how they would rate the interior from a design and material point of view as well as what could use improvement etc. The mock-up allows the participants to sit in and literally experience the cabin.

In fact this process was shown on television by a highly educational channel here in Germany named N24 (www.n24.de). This channel always features interesting documentary reports on various topics from something as simple as the history of razor blades to automotive design studious. The report I saw on N24 focused on the development of the Porsche Panamera cabin. You can bet that Mercedes and even Lexus work with the same or similar methods. Obviously, the current E class interior received good marks from testers if this process was used.

The Germans have a saying here which is not only confined to Germany or Europe: Weniger ist mehr (less is more) - it is a saying that we use in the advertising business here and it very likely also used in automotive design, especially by Mercedes from what I have seen. The meaning of this phrase is simple: don't be to complex because complexity ruins the flow/design (or in case of advertising the message / understandability of the advert).

I realize that this is a Lexus forum so there exists a heavy and somewhat blind bias towards Lexus. I'm not a design expert by any means nor do I claim to be one. But I find the current E class interior to be classy and simple. The simpleness of the interior, I feel, gives it its elegance and harmonious flow. To me it is pleasing to the eye. And I also find that the new E class cabin is very MODERN in appearance. It's the same with the spartan interior of my BMW 118d. I'm just a human being with my own tastes in design and I like simple, straightforward no nonsense design. At this point I have to confess that my favorite Lexus interiors are found in the GS and ES and to an extent the SC430. Why? Weniger ist mehr / less is more. These cabins have a relatively simple design language which to me creates an elegant flow. The other Lexus cabins are too busy for my tastes, thus lacking the simplistic elegance found in the cars I just mentioned. A personal opinion, if you will, backed up with an explanation.

I've not sat in an LX570 by the way. And it doesn't matter. The pictures are enough to bring across the boxy styling used on this interior. But since it is a Lexus the boxy interior of the LX570 is obviously very modern because the design experts on this forum have stated so. Sarcasm intended.

And please don't accuse me of being pro-German. I am simply being objective here, stating my viewpoint and backing it up with either facts or explanations. I like going against the stream, I like to question things. Having an argumentative war here is good from time to time.

At the end of the day there isn't one design in the world that can please everyone who sees it. There will always be lovers and haters.
Interior styling is a really subjective thing. It can also be a cultural thing, as with all styling. Most of the German brands utilize "boxy" styling and it is more or less accepted by most of the automotive public.

Most of the Japanese luxury brands use more fluid styling, and some like it, some don't. I think we should just leave this debate at that.

Anyway in my honest opinion some of the British brands such as Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover design the best looking interiors in their respective classes. They use a combination of boxes and curves that just works. They have the simple class that I think is perfect. BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION. Some prefer Japanese styling too (actually MOST people in the US prefer that hence why Toyota and Lexus out sell everything out there, and most new American designed cars look Japanese...)
Old 02-12-10, 06:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For the most part interior styling is subjective. What one find gorgeous, someone else will find hideous.

I'm far more concerned with materials, instruments and controls, and quality of craftsmanship. And these are impossible to judge by looking at pictures.
Old 02-12-10, 06:58 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Look at this! The Chicago Athenaeum awards Mercedes three design awards - two of which honor cars with "outdated" boxy styling themes "from the '80s"!

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

Stuttgart, Germany, Feb 12, 2010

The renowned Chicago Athenaeum - Museum of Architecture and Design has given three Mercedes-Benz models a singular honour by presenting the E-Class, the E-Class Coupé and the SLR Stirling Moss with the GOOD DESIGN® Award - the oldest award for outstanding product design.

The Chicago Athenaeum - Museum of Architecture has been presenting its international GOOD DESIGN® Award for the world's most innovative and well-designed products each year since 1950. This year the institution decided to present three Mercedes-Benz models with the GOOD DESIGN® Award - the E-Class, the E-Class Coupé and the SLR Stirling Moss.

In the previous two years, the jury for the GOOD DESIGN® Award also recognised the high design quality of Mercedes-Benz automobiles by presenting the award to the GLK and the C-Class.

The former curator of the Museum of Modern Art, Edgar Kaufmann Jr., founded the Chicago Athenaeum - Museum of Architecture sixty years ago, together with the major modern design pioneers Charles and Ray Eames, Russel Wright, George Nelson and Eero Saarinen.

Source: http://mercedes-benz-blog.blogspot.c...ee-models.html
Old 02-12-10, 10:57 PM
LexFather

My question is WHY?

Sorry it looks horrid. Audi is boxy and rather staid but it doesn't come across as something from the show "Dallas". It doesn't remind us of "Thriller". Its a great modern interpretation.

The new Mercedes interiors are slab sided, 1980s replicas. It might be great for Germany which is fine but a lot of people think they are a step backwards.

As for forum bias this place is NOTHING compared to a Benz forum. Mention Lexus and it turns into a toyota poo slinging fest.

Again the LX is boxy as it a a big boxy bulky SUV. I'm not complaining about the G-wagon interior b/c it fits well with the image and looks of the car. The LX interior still is nowhere near as 1980s retro as these new Benz interiors.

Sorry.

Look at this! The Chicago Athenaeum awards Mercedes three design awards - two of which honor cars with "outdated" boxy styling themes "from the '80s"!

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

Stuttgart, Germany, Feb 12, 2010

The renowned Chicago Athenaeum - Museum of Architecture and Design has given three Mercedes-Benz models a singular honour by presenting the E-Class, the E-Class Coupé and the SLR Stirling Moss with the GOOD DESIGN® Award - the oldest award for outstanding product design.

The Chicago Athenaeum - Museum of Architecture has been presenting its international GOOD DESIGN® Award for the world's most innovative and well-designed products each year since 1950. This year the institution decided to present three Mercedes-Benz models with the GOOD DESIGN® Award - the E-Class, the E-Class Coupé and the SLR Stirling Moss.

In the previous two years, the jury for the GOOD DESIGN® Award also recognised the high design quality of Mercedes-Benz automobiles by presenting the award to the GLK and the C-Class.

The former curator of the Museum of Modern Art, Edgar Kaufmann Jr., founded the Chicago Athenaeum - Museum of Architecture sixty years ago, together with the major modern design pioneers Charles and Ray Eames, Russel Wright, George Nelson and Eero Saarinen.

Source: http://mercedes-benz-blog.blogspot.c...ee-models.html
lol, if they gave the GLK and C-class awards this is really just funny.

Old 02-13-10, 09:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The new interior design is ugly and already looks dated, just like the E class interior. It does not hold a candle to the current CLS interior.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)-bird-eye-merc-interior.jpg   2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)-merc-cls2.jpg   2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)-merc-cls1.jpg  
Old 02-13-10, 02:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I need to see the new CLS in the flesh, looking forward to it.
Old 02-13-10, 02:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the current CLS interior is very ugly. So is last gen E interior.

Interior in the new E looks great to me. I'm talking about design only, not quality.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)