Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 07:23 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review

Well I was bored waiting for the 2006 SC430 sales manager to get back to me on a deal, so I starting looking for alternatives to that car and to the SC altogether. I know that I need a back seat for my four year old son, and I've already ruled out a 911 due to high maint costs, but what about a G37 Conv?

I drove a 2009 G37 Convertible Sport (6MT) and Automatic today. One was red on graphite (dark gray) and the other was Silver on Stone (light tan).

Driving Impressions: A LOT of fun to drive, AMAZING throttle response, F1 paddle shifters on the automatic were amazing! Lots of ammenitites-my three favorite were the ipod direct connect link, the cooled seats and the bose headrest speakers! Very very nice. Handles like a GT not like a sports car. I used to have a 2005 G35 6MT coupe and it is a little heavier and not as nimble, but still a nice sporty, spirited drive with 330HP. Heavy car though--don't mistake it for a S2000!

Interior Impressions: I have done the Infiniti thing three times now, and I like the "less wood" more aluminum approach they have. I think it looks both sporty and classy and you can add wood if you want to. Having said that, the interior fit and finish is equivalent to a random, run-of-the-mill G37 sedan that costs $29k versus your $49k convertible which is a little troubling! If you are a BMW and MBZ or Audi interior fan, you will love it. If you are accustomed to the plush wood leather everywhere of Lexus, you will be dissapointed. The silver accent triim has a neat little swirl to it which is both classy and sporty. The leather is supple and firm and engulfs you like a recaro! The paddle shifters and amenities are amazing and the interior is quiet with the top up, not so bad with the top down either. The Bose headrest speakers are a blast to have with the top down---really nice! The paddle shifters are truly like a F1 shifter and really make the car a FOUR-CAR-IN-ONE type of car. (top up, paddles, top up auto, top down paddles, top down auto) if you want to think of it that way. Having the hard top convertible and manumatic give you lots of options!

Sound-throaty, sporty and WHOOOSH when you stomp on it. Has that nice growl that most 370Z's, G's and FX's have from Infiniti.

Outside looks are where it puzzles me. I love it with the top down...looks fantastic! Top up, you have that weird G6 convertible, Chrysler Sebring or 3-series extra bend in the top that makes it look funky. Kind of reminds you of the Rx-8 extra little side door or the Saturn Coupe they made like that too. Just doesn't look super clean like a SC or a SL, SLK, new Miata HT or other rag tops. Obviously the car was meant to be seen with the top down because it is a little ugly with the top up. The coupe--lines are clean, nice aerodynamics and pitch to the roof. The convertible-not so much...too choppy. The rear is neat...it gets an extra 1" wider on each side and has staggered wheels/tires 19" 9 spoke wheels which are very nice and make the car a little more unique. The front-a little boring with the integrated fog lights just like the 2003 G35...easily and boringly identifiable with the masses. Once again, you are paying nearly twice the cost of other G's and yours looks practically the same??? WAIT---news flash from Infiniti Corporate---2010 models have already been udpated to have seperated fog lights (true story) and a different grill!!!! They heard us!

Money-not good here. My two mules I test drove were $49 and $50k. Totally decked out except for navigation, that model was another $3k. Honestly, I don't need it. Ipod, cooled seats, 19" wheels, paddle shifters, bluetooth, etc etc already comes standard. No problem.

My wife works for AT&T so we get VPP pricing, which is invoice minus 3%...GREAT DEAL, RIGHT???? THINK AGAIN....

Lease: 39 months, 0 down, $700/month...money factors and residuals are ridiculous... .00225 and 62%!!! They are proud of it!

Buy: 72 month financing through my bank (forget theirs!!!!) 0 down $800 per month+....

Final verdict: Wait a couple of years and these cars will be under $30k. Infiniti has a bad reputation for first year cars and get better in time. I bet the refinements in 2010 will make it a better looking car and the economy and slumping sales will force this car to have better incentives in 2010, especially on the 2009's that will sit! This dealer had 66 in their inventory and has had the same five on their driveway for the past six months! Drive a nice SC for now for $500 a month and save $300 a month vs this car. It's a nice "almost competitor" to the SC, but no where near it in terms of style, uniqueness and status. After all, it is a G. Looks like a G, smells like a G and performs like one. They might have put the M45 v-8 engine in it or made the front clip and interior appointments better to differentiate it more. I think 335i is a true direct competitor, but the M3 would kill it.

I thought I really wanted one, but not at this price. Maybe if they were $600a month I would consider a lease or maybe a purchase for $650, but to get there you would have to dump $10k on a purchase and $5k on a lease both are not advisable! I can buy a 2005 or 2006 nicely pre-owned SC430 that was a $65k car for less than $500 a month with zero down and less time to pay it off. Better investment....I guess it's true what they say about being an early adopter consumer...you have to pay to play! Pics coming
Attached Thumbnails Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo1.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo2.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo3.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo4.jpg  

Old 10-06-09, 07:33 PM
scdroptop

Default more pics of the g37 i drove

more pics...they actually got it out of the showroom for me! nice! some older pics of the same car at the dealer (they have had it forever now) with the stock 19" wheels on the "s" package, which I like better anyway. Those chrome wheels you can find right now on eBay for $800 and they are charging $4k for the wheels/tires set! NEVER buy wheels at a dealer! never
Attached Thumbnails Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo5.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo6.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-photo8.jpg  

Last edited by scdroptop; 10-06-09 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 07:48 PM
scdroptop

Default just my opinion, but the top up of the G37 reminds me of these masterpieces...

just my opinion, but the top up of the G37 reminds me of these masterpieces...maybe it will grow on me, but I doubt it...especially for $50k
Attached Thumbnails Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-z133975_06.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-p2897u_02.jpg   Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review-6678801338.jpg  
Old 10-06-09, 08:09 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no thanks. a friend bought an 09 G37 and i prefer my 02 SC. the g37 is a little faster and has nicer gadgets. but the sc beats it in every other category IMO.
Old 10-07-09, 12:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the review!

I haven't test driven the G37 convertible yet. I really want to compare it to the IS-C; I have a review on that in the 2IS Forum.

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I thought I really wanted one, but not at this price.

I can buy a 2005 or 2006 nicely pre-owned SC430 that was a $65k car for less than $500 a month with zero down and less time to pay it off.
True that.

That's why I got my SC430 instead of an IS350-C earlier this year.

I'm gonna wait for used IS-C and G37C in a couple of years. If I get bored with the SC430, they may be high contenders for a trade. We'll see what happens (and what other products come out) by then...
Old 10-07-09, 10:01 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS350C is a more direct competitor for this G37.
Old 10-07-09, 01:03 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It's funny how every time Infinity mods the G3x, it gets closer to looking like the SC430. They started out with just the front end looking similar a couple of years after the SC430 came out and now they've morphed the back end and added the hard top convertible. None are exact copies, but fairly obvious, at least to SC430 owners.

I guess that imitation is supposed to be one of the highest forms of flattery, or maybe envy.
Old 10-07-09, 09:38 PM
scdroptop

Wait until 2010 G models come out...they are not integrated the fog lights now and you will see them down below, just like the SC's! he he...car styling is more cyclical than we think. Time to get out those double breasted suits and sock ties for the guys and leg warmers for the ladies...IT ALL COMES BACK...like it or not!
Old 10-08-09, 11:13 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

And for just a little more a month......................................................
Old 10-08-09, 04:35 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the great review, I'll stick with my SC430, it's better looking and paid for!!
Old 10-08-09, 07:01 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, the SC design is timeless. It looks good and classy from almost any angle.
Old 10-11-09, 01:13 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
T it's better looking and paid for!!

Ahh, there is so much value in a car being paid for. I agree.
Old 10-11-09, 01:42 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Ahh, there is so much value in a car being paid for. I agree.
my friend with the g37 is leasing it. he broke his previous lease early, so some of that carried over. he's paying over $700 a month. and has to give it back in 3 years. he'll end up paying more for his car and doesn't even get to keep it.
Old 10-11-09, 06:06 PM
scdroptop

I lease my everyday car because I also own a small business so it's a write off, so it would be foolish of me to lease two cars and never have anything to show for it!

If the G37 convertible could be leased like the FX or M for $550-$599 a month with little down it would be a nice option. First year models by Infiniti tend to change dramatically in their second year look at the 2003 M vs 2004 M and even my old 2003 FX I was bummed the next year because they added so many neat features my 2003 didn't have. There is a leak already on the web and my dealer confirmed that the ENTIRE 2010 G series including convertible will have a major front grill and light revision and interior refresh already. The interior is carried over from a 2007 model and the front fascia has as well---even though the convertible just debuted. That's my point! If they really wanted something fresh looking they should have tweaked the convertible a little more. Just making the top fold into the trunk is not worth another $12k to me! The coupe actually looks nice than the convertible with the top up anyway.

There is no doubt the interior technology of paddles, cooled seats, full ipod integration and bluetooth with the bose headrests are nice additions-but most cars have that in 2009 anyway. So...we will wait.

Maybe in a couple of years a preowned one for $30k wouldn't be a bad change of pace.
Old 10-11-09, 06:33 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by norman52
And for just a little more a month......................................................
Minus the reliability and quasi-affordable maintenance costs and inexpensive parts.

Quick Reply: Often Discussed...Potential Competitor of SC430 The New G37 Convertible My Review