Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 07:35 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up as always MM you add a nice deminsion of relevance to the Car Chat boards, in fact without you and 1sick these boards would seriously loose substance. Your work does not go unappreciated.

<-----This female car freak (as my friends would call me) says thank you..

Last edited by Milla...; 10-09-09 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 08:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's not that much noticeable difference in actual performance. The main difference seems to be in the 335's better steering feel and the S4's much better fit/finish. The S4, of course, also offers the superb S-Tronic.
Dont forget the Audi drive select, which changes the power steering boost, suspension stiffness, steering lock to lock ratio and throttle mapping, all with one push od a button. Thats a great system when you get sick and tired of the sport ride and want to cruise for a while in comfort.
Old 10-09-09, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Audi have some of the best interior in its class, C&D do make some questionable remarks sometimes. As far as exhaust note, many on the Audi is complaining about the note in the new 3.0T V6, it doesnt sound as nice as the 4.2L V8 it replace, but that pretty much a given when going from a V8 to a V6.
I drove the old 4.2L V8 in last year's S5. This new supercharged V6, believe me, is a worthy replacement. The supercharger will also help it keep more of its spunk at high altitudes than a normally-aspirated powerplant.

The S4 is a brand new design and the 335 is a few years old, these two cars will gp back and forth as far far as who will be on top. In a few years, the new redesign 3 series will be rated batter than the S4.
Maybe....but I'm not going to worry about that right now. I'll look at the new 3-series whenever it comes out. I have a very high opinion of the present 335, though....except for the I-Drive.
Old 10-09-09, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Kind of odd C&D went with the 335i but maybe they did because 335 IX or X-drive as it's known now doesn't sell as well as the 335i and the S4 only has the AWD.
Although auto magazines can make requests, they usually have to take whatever the auto companies give them. A press-fleet 335xi may not have been availble at the time.

I feel the BMW's run flat tires hurt the ride comfort,are noiser and don't handle as well as a high performance summer conventional tire.
The S4 stock tires are Max summer performance Bridgestone Potenza RE050A or High performance summer Pirelli Cinturato P7.
I did the switch with an all season Michelin Pilot Sport Plus and there's a big difference in noise,ride comfort and handling is great.Sticky soft rubber high performance summer conventional tires would make the handling even better.
My 335 will not see snow and never sees rain but still will be used in winter's dry days so I went with all seasons.As you may know summer tires do not do well even o dry roads when the temp drop to 40 F and lower.
Yes, all other things equal, run-flat tires will give you a firmer ride (and perhaps even better steering response?) because of their stiffer sidewalls, which, by definition, have to support the car's weight without any air in them for at least 50 miles. But BMW chassis/suspension engineers are so good that they can usually minimize the effects of these tires, and still produce an outstanding ride/handling combination.

Also, in complaining about the ride your run-flat tires gave, did you run them at the recommended tire pressure? Run-flat or not, they are still designed, in normal driving, for the recommended PSI. If you overinflate them (perhaps with an inaccurate tire gauge), they will ride stiffer-than-normal, just like a conventional tire would.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-09 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It would of been great for C & D to compare the 335 xdrive vs. The Audi S4. The xdrive 335 is quicker than the S4 with a 0-60 time of 4.7 vs. 4.9 for the Audi. Magazine impressions are what they are.. People will have to try these cars out for themselves.. The price of an equipped xdrive 335 is closer to that of the S4 and is the fair comparison regardless of outcome.
I agree the 335xi would have been a more sensible comparison (see my earlier response on this to Joeb427). There may have been a reason why a regular 335 was used......maybe (?) an xi press-fleet car was simply not available.

The 4.9 second 0-60 figure is also Audi's own published figure (for both the 6-speed manual and S-Tronic). Although I'm not saying it happened this time, car magazines, on occasion, when they can't get reliable 0-60 times or if they vary too much, have been known to just print the manufacturer's official figure instead.
Old 10-09-09, 01:06 PM
LexFather

First, for a real comparison, they should have compared a 335xi AWD with the S4, not a RWD 335i. Second, I didn't notice that much "rumble" drom the S4, though it did have some mild exhaust noise, and I also disagree with C&D's assessment of the Audi's "plain" interior. The version I tested, with the $1000, two-tone leather (real, smooth leather, not that cheap synthetic grained stuff) , was superbly well-finished and appointed inside.
I have the issue of toilet paper...they had a sidebar on why they didn't choose the 335xi to test.

To me if they had any sense, they would have tested all 3...why leave the 335x out?

I think what C&D is saying with the interior is well, its old and the same thing over and over in every model they have, thus it is "plain".

Old 10-09-09, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Milla...
Nice write up as always MM you add a nice deminsion of relevance to the Car Chat boards, in fact without you and 1sick these boards would seriously loose substance. Your work does not go unappreciated.
Thanks, Milla. Mike's (1SICKLEX) work certainly does not go unappreciated either......nor, I might add, do nice comments here like yours.

If you have any auto questions or review requests, also feel free to PM me.

Just be sure, for a review request, that it is for a vehicle that is reasonably available....I can't review a Rolls-Royce or a Bugatti Veyron, for instance.

<-----This female car freak (as my friends would call me) says thank you..
The notion that car enthusiasm is a strictly male trait is an inaccurate stereotype, just like the often-inaccurate stereotypes of associating certain vehicles with certain age/gender groups. You are certainly not alone.....we've had (and still have ) a number of ladies here on CL and CAR CHAT. One of the most well-known ones was Elizabeth (AsianGirl007), a CL Contributing Editor, who sadly passed away a few months ago. A portion of this CAR CHAT forum is dedicated to her memory.
Old 10-09-09, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have the issue of toilet paper...they had a sidebar on why they didn't choose the 335xi to test.

To me if they had any sense, they would have tested all 3...why leave the 335x out?
I myself haven't read the latest C&D issue yet.....so I haven't seen the sidebar. Maybe (?) as I replied to other posters above, a press-fleet sample was not available. Auto magazine editorial staffs can request certain models, but manufacturers do not always have them available in their press-fleets, or are otherwise, for whatever reason, not lending them out or testing.

I think what C&D is saying with the interior is well, its old and the same thing over and over in every model they have, thus it is "plain".
Age does not necessarly mean a "plain" or poor-looking interior. I've seen some newer interiors that, IMO, look ludicrous. There is also a lot of cost-cutting with some newer interiors.....fortunately, the S4 didn't follow that route.
Old 10-09-09, 01:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I too agree the AWD BMW should have been used regardless of what C&D's excuse was. BMW added AWD to their car to compete with Quattro. Two top of the line models, both with AWD, and in the same class should have been the parameters to stick with. If one comes out worse then another or more expensive, then let that be the natural benefit or defactor and part of the final judgment. You can't customize a test like that to help one car come out better than the other. They need to win on their own natural merits.
Old 10-09-09, 01:36 PM
LexFather

Okay I have my toilet paper....

THey said they didn't include it b/c they felt the 335i with RWD is the more compelling performance package. Also the sport package 335x does not include the lowered sport tuned suspension. They did say the 335x is faster initially but the 335i catches up at 120mph. The RWD is 2k cheaper. Finally they felt the additional weight, extra body roll and worse weight balance would hinder overall performance.

So its not included.

Since the S4 without AWD would be FWD, well we know it would get its *** kicked without AWD.

Old 10-09-09, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

THey said they didn't include it b/c they felt the 335i with RWD is the more compelling performance package. Also the sport package 335x does not include the lowered sport tuned suspension. They did say the 335x is faster initially but the 335i catches up at 120mph. The RWD is 2k cheaper. Finally they felt the additional weight, extra body roll and worse weight balance would hinder overall performance.
The (probable) reason the 335xi is faster off the line is that, even with the added weight/drag of AWD, all four tires bite and there is less wheelspin, which is just wasted power. It also means, with RWD, that the traction control cuts in more and retards the power, although, for some max-run tests, they leave the T/C off. The RWD model, of course, catches up later because it is lighter.

Since the S4 without AWD would be FWD, well we know it would get its *** kicked without AWD.
According to Audi, there are no FWD S4 models........Quattro is standard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-09 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 02:08 PM
LexFather

First, for a real comparison, they should have compared a 335xi AWD with the S4, not a RWD 335i. Second, I didn't notice that much "rumble" drom the S4, though it did have some mild exhaust noise, and I also disagree with C&D's assessment of the Audi's "plain" interior. The version I tested, with the $1000, two-tone leather (real, smooth leather, not that cheap synthetic grained stuff) , was superbly well-finished and appointed inside.
The (probable) reason the 335xi is faster off the line is that, even with the added weight/drag of AWD, all four tires bite and there is less wheelspin, which is just wasted power. It also means, with FWD, that the traction control cuts in more and retards the power, although, for some max-run tests, they leave the T/C off. The RWD model, of course, catches up later because it is lighter.

According to Audi, there are no FWD S4 models........Quattro is standard.
I understand that. I see C&D's point of pitting sportiest vs sportiest. I also see the point of AWD vs AWD. If we took AWD off hypothetically, we would have a FWD Audi vs a RWD BMW.

To me the S4 is more special, the seats, the wheels, the rarity, the trim....However as the price goes up to 55k and higher (it was 59k in C&D) well that is CTS-V, IS-F, C63, M3 pricing....

Old 10-09-09, 02:22 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, MM. I love A4/S4/5 and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

However, despite Audi's reputation for fit and finish excellence, I noticed a bit of trim in my A4's instrument panel loosening up.
Old 10-09-09, 03:18 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to go drive one.
Old 10-09-09, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Thanks for the review, MM.
Sure....anytime.

I love A4/S4/5 and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Yes, I enjoy most of things about driving Audis, and, especially, BMWs, but you can keep the I-Drive and MMI systems.

However, despite Audi's reputation for fit and finish excellence, I noticed a bit of trim in my A4's instrument panel loosening up.
Audi doesn't, and never did, build the most durable cars on the road....they have never been known as reliability champs, particularly in electronics. Some of the plastic interior parts right behind the steering wheel are not that well-done, but most of the interior trim and fit/finish is superb, at least when new.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Audi S4