Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
I need to go drive one.
Make sure the Audi shop you're going to has one available first. Even in this car-rich, high-income, D.C-area, Audi dealers typically get only a couple of S4s each month....and a number of them are already pre-sold or have deposits on them.
Old 10-10-09, 08:03 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the review Mike! I was wondering if the car you tested had the "sport differential" package? It supposively varies the power distributed to the wheels during a turn to overcome under/oversteer.
Old 10-10-09, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
Thanks a lot for the review Mike!
Sure. Glad you enjoyed it.

I was wondering if the car you tested had the "sport differential" package? It supposively varies the power distributed to the wheels during a turn to overcome under/oversteer.
It wasn't listed on the sticker. The term "Sport Differential" appears to be just Audispeak for a traditional limited-slip differential. According to the literature, it is included on the S4 (but not the A4) with the Audi Drive Select Package, which my car didn't have.
Old 10-10-09, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: (Depending on availability)

2010 BMW 550i
Audi A3 TDI
Ford F-150 Raptor
Old 10-12-09, 06:26 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Milla. Mike's (1SICKLEX)
Just be sure, for a review request, that it is for a vehicle that is reasonably available....I can't review a Rolls-Royce or a Bugatti Veyron, for instance.
(
Oh crap, alright

Last edited by Milla...; 10-12-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-12-09, 06:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi vehicles are amazing and the S4 (with its triple-three horses/333 hp) is no exception.

With that said, bring on the RS4

P.S.
Did Audi mention that they will have RS models for their ENTIRE lineup (like what BMW is doing with their M division and MB with the AMG line)???
Old 10-12-09, 07:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Audi vehicles are amazing and the S4 (with its triple-three horses/333 hp) is no exception.

P.S.
Did Audi mention that they will have RS models for their ENTIRE lineup (like what BMW is doing with their M division and MB with the AMG line)???
The TT-RS is in showrooms right now & the A5 RS is in camo testing on the Nordscheife.. Expect the A5 RS here in the states..
Old 10-12-09, 08:01 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Default 0-40mph & 40-90mph?

Mike – Excellent review as usual!!

I have a powertrain comparison/question for you. Compared to the 335i, IS350, and IS-F, how does the S4 perform acceleration wise for daily driving purposes? More specifically, up to say ~4,000 rpm, from a stop (0-40mph), and merging onto freeway traffic or passing on the freeway (40-90mph), which car do you feel accelerates the fastest?

This is, of course, very subjective not comparing transmission gearing and throttle setup, but I’m just curious as to what would feel fast/torquey during normal driving. My personal take (not to bias your opinion) is that the 335i felt quick (0-40), but I felt the IS-F was a freeway rocket (40-100+). The IS350 is somewhere in between. A bit anemic under 2,000 rpm, but very fast over 4,000rpm.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-09, 08:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rinthiran
Mike – Excellent review as usual!!

I have a powertrain comparison/question for you. Compared to the 335i, IS350, and IS-F, how does the S4 perform acceleration wise for daily driving purposes? More specifically, up to say ~4,000 rpm, from a stop (0-40mph), and merging onto freeway traffic or passing on the freeway (40-90mph), which car do you feel accelerates the fastest?

This is, of course, very subjective not comparing transmission gearing and throttle setup, but I’m just curious as to what would feel fast/torquey during normal driving. My personal take (not to bias your opinion) is that the 335i felt quick (0-40), but I felt the IS-F was a freeway rocket (40-100+). The IS350 is somewhere in between. A bit anemic under 2,000 rpm, but very fast over 4,000rpm.

Thanks!
I can say my 335i feels very quick.Even from a 40-80 MPH without flooring it.
The IS-F has over 100 more HP,so it should be quicker but you hit your head on the headliner if the IS-F runs over a papercup.
Old 10-12-09, 08:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The IS-F has over 100 more HP,so it should be quicker but you hit your head on the headliner if the IS-F runs over a papercup.
The 335 is a point & shoot weapon as you know. . I've driven the others but will let Marshall give his opinion on the question posed..
Old 10-12-09, 10:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The TT-RS is in showrooms right now & the A5 RS is in camo testing on the Nordscheife.. Expect the A5 RS here in the states..
Wow, so they're following what MB and BMW is doing then with their performance-oriented variants across the vehicle range.......

Nice
Old 10-12-09, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven

The Audi people at the dealership said that a new RS4 was coming soon (apparantly for the American market). One poster here, though, said he heard differently...it was not for this market.

P.S.
I see little reason for Audi to spend the time and money on doing RS models for their Q5 and Q7 SUV's....most of the people who buy those two would probably not be interested in a super-high-performance version anyway. In fact, the effort that BMW and Mercedes put into M and AMG versions of their SUVs seems very questionable as well, as they probably won't sell well either. The R-Class Mercedes is not selling, even in its normal, non-AMG version....it may be pulled from the American market.
Old 10-12-09, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You're right. The IS-F's suspension, for a street, non-track car, is ludicrously stiff. For the most part, it is only suitable for glass-smooth roads.
Old 10-12-09, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The 335 is a point & shoot weapon as you know. . I've driven the others but will let Marshall give his opinion on the question posed..
Though not everyone agrees with me, you guys already know my high opinion of the 335, in both RWD and AWD form, and how, for non-track use, I think it is a better dollar-for-dollar buy than the M3 itself. I have posted and written much on that subject, in a number of different threads.
Old 10-12-09, 10:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're right. The IS-F's suspension, for a street, non-track car, is ludicrously stiff. For the most part, it is only suitable for glass-smooth roads.
Mike,not that my 335i is a LS460 on the road,it's very stiff but the IS-F is unbearable,IMO.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Audi S4