Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How fast is too fast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm not a speeder.Maybe 10 over the limit.
However,I do love the power when merging on to a highway, passing or just pushing the accelerator down just a bit and feeling the pull going from 40 MPH to 75 MPH ina couple of seconds.
It's intoxicating.
You don't have to be a speeder to love horsepower.
An excellent post. I agree with virtually all of it.
CAR enthusiasm is not necessarily SPEED enthusiasm, or high-G cornering enthusiasm.
Old 10-13-09, 01:05 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Horsepower wars rage on. HP will continue to rise, but not as it did in the past. We have a new war now:

Who can build the most HP using the least amount of fuel?

I firmly believe that 20 years from now, your average Accord will be running around with 350-400 HP, delivering better than 35MPG. Technology will do it. Always has, always will.
Your Government is working now to make sure this will not happen. The focus has become zero emmissions. With U.S. manufactoring leaving the U.S. why can't we get rid of the heavy polluters & leave cars as is
Old 10-13-09, 01:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Your Government is working now to make sure this will not happen. The focus has become zero emmissions. With U.S. manufactoring leaving the U.S. why can't we get rid of the heavy polluters & leave cars as is
Lol, good point. We dont need to reduce pollution because pretty soon there will be no factories in the US to generate pollution
Old 10-13-09, 01:29 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
...However,I do love the power when merging on to a highway,passing or just pushing the accelerator down just a bit and feeling the pull going from 40 MPH to 75 MPH ina couple of seconds.
It's intoxicating.
Isn't torque wonderful!

"Power is good, more power is even better, too much power is just right!" - Carroll Shelby, among other great racers.

PS - In reality, 200-220 hp in a sedan is probably more than enough for road conditions and commuting in US roads.

Slightly OT - "How fast is too fast?" I've never felt that I was in a car that was too fast (although I haven't been in anything exotic other than a 911), but it happens all the time on a motorcycle. Anything 750cc+ can rocket to 150+mph in no time. I drove/ride a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa a couple years back and it went 25mph - 90mph in what felt like 4 seconds... all in 3rd gear. Speed so fast my eyes got blury. Now that motorcycle really did feel like it has too much power. This one had a PowerCommander FI remap, Aftermarket exhaust, reworked suspension, extended swingarm to keep as much of the front end on the ground as possible. End result: ~180 rwhp in a 520lb vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails How fast is too fast?-me-and-hayabusa.jpg  

Last edited by rinthiran; 10-13-09 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-15-09, 06:16 PM
echelon
Driver

My motorcycle did 0-60 in under 4 seconds. I think alot of the motor cycle's out there are too much power. There are high school kids buying bikes that have HP/weight ratio's in the 1:3 range with rider, which is like having a 1000HP+ car.

It did great burnouts though

Old 10-15-09, 08:19 PM
azstinger1
Rookie

The funny part to me is the horse power wars rage on but no increased driver ed to speak of really. I was lucky my dad took me to the Bondurant Racing school before I had my normal licence. I learned more about cars in those 7 days than most learn in 10 years of driving. They force you to take cars to the absolute limits and then how to recover them. While track driving I admit is not for the street, recovering a vehicle in a slide however it came about is still the same procedure.

More power is fine imo, so long as people get some sort of training in how to deal with it.
Old 10-16-09, 12:06 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

thats what traction control and vehicle stability assist is for
Old 10-16-09, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by azstinger1

More power is fine imo, so long as people get some sort of training in how to deal with it.
Are you kidding me, drivers dont even get enough training in the US on how to drive a low HP car, nevermine race track training. You would be amazed at how many people actually do not know the traffic laws. There should be addition training and testing for the regular drivers and any car above 400 HP should require a special license which require special training.
Old 10-16-09, 05:59 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by echelon
My motorcycle did 0-60 in under 4 seconds. I think alot of the motor cycle's out there are too much power. There are high school kids buying bikes that have HP/weight ratio's in the 1:3 range with rider, which is like having a 1000HP+ car.

It did great burnouts though

Hey, that's EXACTLY the bike I killed several years ago. Ironically, it had nothing to do with the engine-power-to-weight ratio, but rather the caliper-clamping-force-to-dumbass-rider ratio. 330mm brake discs and 6-pot calipers are no joke, especially going downhill.
Old 10-16-09, 10:12 AM
azstinger1
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
Are you kidding me, drivers dont even get enough training in the US on how to drive a low HP car, nevermine race track training. You would be amazed at how many people actually do not know the traffic laws. There should be addition training and testing for the regular drivers and any car above 400 HP should require a special license which require special training.
Thats kind of my point, driver training in the US is a joke at the very best of times. As you pointed out not only are many ignorant of how to properly handle their vehicles but as to laws as well. I'd be a huge fan for a far more stringent licensing requirements.
Old 10-16-09, 10:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoying fast, premium machinery is more than just going fast. The "feel" of the best money can buy is hard to describe, an enthusiast can truly appreciate it even driving at moderate speeds.
Old 10-16-09, 10:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Enjoying fast, premium machinery is more than just going fast. The "feel" of the best money can buy is hard to describe, an enthusiast can truly appreciate it even driving at moderate speeds.
Old 10-16-09, 10:46 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
+1 on this, some people get it most don't, it is actually possible to avoid

accidents sometimes without touching the brakes