Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It's going to be tough for Buick to overcome the gray hair stigma.
Buick's gray-hair "stigma" is more imaginary than real, except in the minds of some die-hard sporting enthusiasts in the auto press. One of the things I pointed out in the review was that that old stereotype, though not entirely mistaken, was way overrated.

The Enclave has helped Buick but I find that to be quite an ugly vehicle,not Aztec gross but ugly
Have you seen the Enclave's interior? While, like other Buicks, it is a lot of surface flash on top of cheap plastic, it sure is plush-LOOKING. On the surface, at least, it is stunning.

Old 10-10-09, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Both the LaCrosse and ES350 appeal to an older conservative segment of car buyers. Good thing you didn't test them back to back it could of added 10 years.

After the inital buzz dies down it will be interesting to see who actually is buying the new LaCrosse.
A lot of not-so-old people are quite interested in this car. So is a substantial portion of the auto press, especially with the more sport-oriented CXS version. Even here, on CL, we've had a number of threads on the new LaCrosse, with many responses and posts. I myself got substantially more review requests for this car (and the new Taurus) than what I typically get.
Old 10-10-09, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews, depending on availability:

Audi A3 TDI
BMW 550i
Ford F-150 Raptor
Old 10-10-09, 08:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A lot of not-so-old people are quite interested in this car. So is a substantial portion of the auto press, especially with the more sport-oriented CXS version. Even here, on CL, we've had a number of threads on the new LaCrosse, with many responses and posts. I myself got substantially more review requests for this car (and the new Taurus) than what I typically get.
It was the same with the Genesis. After a lot of initial consumer and press interest and positive reviews, it has settled into its niche in the market. Nothing revolutionary, but a nice car among other nice cars.
Old 10-10-09, 08:22 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that looks like a useless trunk... at least if they got rid of the 2 hinges it'll be much better as it looked like those 2 hinge areas protrude and took up much of the opening space of the trunk so even if the trunk inside is large, but it doesn't look like you can fit things through..... :/
Old 10-10-09, 08:24 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh? photoshopped pedal area? bad job at it as well...
Old 10-10-09, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
Wow, that looks like a useless trunk... at least if they got rid of the 2 hinges it'll be much better as it looked like those 2 hinge areas protrude and took up much of the opening space of the trunk so even if the trunk inside is large, but it doesn't look like you can fit things through..... :/

Actually, no, it's not a useless trunk, though the humpback-whale roofline does eat into some of the trunk lid's area and make the actual opening smaller. You can still fit in reasonably-sized cargo, though, by loading it in somewhat low and straight back. But the inside of the trunk, by upscale car standards, is not particularly well-finished.....it has rather thin, cheap-feeling fuzz-fabric. It looks like GM did a little cost-cutting there.
Old 10-10-09, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
huh? photoshopped pedal area? bad job at it as well...
Those were both Google images. I simply copied and posted them. I've seen the Enclave's interior, though (my neighbor has one) and they are accurate.
Old 10-10-09, 09:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the GS, which it tries to imitate, still looks better.

reminds me of a fat man with chicken legs.
Old 10-10-09, 09:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So Mike, which one do you like better, this or the new Taurus? And how would they fare in your book to the good old ES330?
Old 10-10-09, 11:54 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i kinda like the exterior styling. man, i wish i had your job mmarshall. i just love cars. wish i could work with those guys at the car magazines and just test drive cars. i can do that all day.
Old 10-11-09, 03:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the GS, which it tries to imitate, still looks better.
The former Lacrosse's front end also looked like the former GS....which was not necessarily a bad thing. Neither one of them, IMO, were ugly.

reminds me of a fat man with chicken legs.
More like a Greyhound's legs. Even the base 3.0L V6 has some spunk.

It actually looks larger and more bulbous in pictures than it does in person. When you actually see the car, it's somewhat trimmer and smaller-looking than some of the ads show. And when you sit in it and look forward, you see very little of the hood over the dash in front of you, except for the protruding chrome portholes facing up.
Old 10-11-09, 04:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
So Mike, which one do you like better, this or the new Taurus? And how would they fare in your book to the good old ES330?
I'd take the ES330, a superb entry-level luxury car, before either of them (and, of course, over its replacement 350). The only concern I have with the 330 is is transmission ECU issues which caused some owners problems.

Between the Taurus and LaCrosse, I like the Taurus SEL (the model I reviewed) for several reasons, though the LaCrosse has a butter-smooth transmission, a slightly smoother ride, and would probably be better for cruising. The LaCrosse also has better underhood access for DIY'ers. I like the fact that both of them offer AWD.
Old 10-11-09, 04:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalgear
i kinda like the exterior styling. man, i wish i had your job mmarshall. i just love cars. wish i could work with those guys at the car magazines and just test drive cars. i can do that all day.
Thanks , but I do not work for any auto magazine. Nor am I a member of the auto press. Nor is this a "job" per se....I don't get paid for it. I don't need the money......I make more than I need from my retirement and investments. I do reviews, usually, by CL member or non-CL request. In fact, one reason I do reviews at all is that I don't like the way that a lot of people in the auto press write about cars.
Old 10-11-09, 06:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Buick's gray-hair "stigma" is more imaginary than real, except in the minds of some die-hard sporting enthusiasts in the auto press. One of the things I pointed out in the review was that that old stereotype, though not entirely mistaken, was way overrated.

Have you seen the Enclave's interior? While, like other Buicks, it is a lot of surface flash on top of cheap plastic, it sure is plush-LOOKING. On the surface, at least, it is stunning.

Mike,the Enclave exterior is fugly to me but I haven't see the interior.
The interior looks a little too gaudy.Way too much of the plastic wood look.
Also don't like the A/C vents and grayish dash trim with the seat color.
Might look better in person,though.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL