Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Thanks for the review.
Sure. Anytime.

Let's keep one thing in mind here... put a LaCrosse CXL with no added options side by side with an Accord EX V6 or Camry XLE V6 and it's practically the same price for a MUCH nicer car. In reality you're getting a car that's a solid step up from those two cars for the same price.
The Accord, though, IMO, has far and away the best build quality of the three. It is the one I would probably choose as a daily driver.....although the LaCrosse, of course, has an AWD option that the other two should have, and don't....that, for me, would be a temptation.

I respectfully strongly disagree with your sentiment that GM has taken their same ol' interior plastic and simply glitzed it up.
Let's make sure we're both on the same wavelength here....and that you don't misunderstand me. I was not talking about the whole interior. I did mention the nice padded interior surfaces on the upper-dash and door panels. My complaints (and I tried to make this clear) about the "same old" GM plastic refer mostly to the glitzy chrome trim and wood-tone that has an obvious plastic-coated look to it. In fact, if you feel it, you can feel the rather lightweight plastic that it is actually made of.

Are there a few relatively hidden areas of the car with more typical GM plastic? Sure. But the large majority of the car is leaps and bounds beyond a typical GM interior in layout, looks, AND in actual material quality. I mean for goodness sakes the majority of the dashboard is softer touch and more leather-bound than anything I've ever seen from Lexus, much less the ES350.
Yes....I mentioned those padded dash/door panel soft surfaces. You will also find them in some other newer GM cars like the Chevy Malibu and Saturn Aura....but those two cars have them only on the dash. And the LaCross's seat leather, as I mentioned, is nicer than in some German cars I've seen at considerably higher price.

rs if anything remind me of the Acura RL's doors... very nicely dressed and very solid feeling.
No. I respect your opinion, but I will continue to disagree here. The LaCrosse doors are reasonably solid, and, as I mention, have some nice materials, but they are a LONG way from the RL's superb doors, which are virtually tank-like.

I really honestly scoured theinterior of the Lacrosse in person this past weekend and found no more cost cutting materials than I would in the ES350, which has some of its own similar cheap feeling components in less visible less commonly interacted with places... just like the LaCrosse.
If you have read my former posts and reviews, I found the new ES350's interior (particularly the dash/console) disappointing myself.....perhaps more so than the LaCrosse. The ES350's ride was also stiffened up a little (needlessly, IMO) over the ES330.

Your review mentions the CXS uses 40 series tires. That's not really accurate. It uses the same series tires as the CXL unless you opt for the optional touring package which upgrades the wheels to 19", changes the tires to sportier tires, and also adds GM's very impressive magnetic ride control suspension which is also used on the Vette as an option and on the CTS-V. It allows a sportier driving experience without harming ride quality... and in some cases actually improving it.
Yes, that's correct. 40-series tires are included with the Touring Package option on the CXS......but my point was that only the CXS uses that option. They are not available on the CX and CXL (which also means, of course, that you can't get them on the AWD models, as AWD only comes with the CXL as an option.

Most reviews I've read have said the LaCrosse's ride quality actually remains about the same with the touring package thanks to the MRC suspension compensating for the much more aggressive wheels/tires.
On that, I will have to take your word for it, for now, (assuming you have driven that package), as I have not had the opportunity to drive a CXS with that option. I will, maybe, if I get a chance.
Old 10-12-09, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There have been some rumors of an upcoming Ecotec 4-cylinder LaCrosse to help GM meet the future CAFE mileage standards (and some websites on the subject), but I couldn't find any references to it on the Buick web site.
Old 10-12-09, 08:04 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There have been some rumors of an upcoming Ecotec 4-cylinder LaCrosse to help GM meet the future CAFE mileage standards (and some websites on the subject), but I couldn't find any references to it on the Buick web site.
I didn't notice that being left out earlier but yes... it's not even a rumor, it'll be available in December if the current timeline pans out. 30 mpg highway at the minimum... possibly up to 33! 0-60 should still be sub 10 second but probably not by much.
Old 10-12-09, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't notice that being left out earlier but yes... it's not even a rumor, it'll be available in December if the current timeline pans out. 30 mpg highway at the minimum... possibly up to 33! 0-60 should still be sub 10 second but probably not by much.
Thanks. There are many non-official web sites on that, but, strangely, nothing I could find from Buick itself....either in the paper brochure or the website itself. Nor did the Buick people at the dealership mention it.
Old 10-12-09, 08:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Thanks. There are many non-official web sites on that, but, strangely, nothing I could find from Buick itself....either in the paper brochure or the website itself. Nor did the Buick people at the dealership mention it.
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=8&docid=55150
Old 10-12-09, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks again. While, as you point out, official, that's a GM site.....Buick needs to update their own website with that.

Although I obviously haven't driven one (yet), I don't know if I'd want an Ecotec-equipped LaCrosse. The current 3.0L V6 in the CXL is pretty smooth, quiet, refined, and, has some spunk.....I think the official peak torque figure of 217 ft-lbs at 5100 RPM may (?) be a little underrated. The Ecotec will likely have more noise, more vibration, less refinement, and less power, though it would probably add a few MPG and save a few $$$ off the purchase price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 08:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Thanks again. While, as you point out, official, that's a GM site.....Buick needs to update their own website with that.
Actually I got the link by going to Buick.com, clicking on the LaCrosse, and then clicking on a link from the main page that said 2.4L coming soon (or something like that).

Although I obviously haven't driven one (yet), I don't know if I'd want an Ecotec-equpped Lacrosse. The current 3.0L V6 in the CXL is pretty smooth, quiet, refined, and, has some spunk.....I think the official peak torque figure of 217 ft-lbs at 5200 RPM may (?) be a little underrated. The Ecotec will likely have more noise, more vibration, less refinement, and less power, though it would probably add a few MPG and save a few $$$ off the purchase price.
If they only get 30mpg out of it I'd probably opt for the 3.0... but they may do better though... I think 30 is a low ball number considering the less aerodynamic and just as heavy 2010 Equinox gets 32 highway with the same engine and transmission.

What amazes me is GM's decision to not make the 3.6 standard across the board. It gets better mpg than the 3.0 and makes ~20% more power on average.
Old 10-12-09, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What amazes me is GM's decision to not make the 3.6 standard across the board. It gets better mpg than the 3.0 and makes ~20% more power on average.
From what I know of the 3.6L, it is fairly complex and, supposedly, more expensive to produce, although Saturn, before its downfall, dropped the 3.5L V6 in the Aura in favor of the 3.6.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 08:49 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

From what I know of the 3.6L, it is fairly complex and, supposedly, more expensive to produce, although Saturn, before its downfall, dropped the 3.5L V6 in the Aura in favor of the 3.6.
I actually didn't see much difference between the LaCrosse's 3.0 and 3.6 other than displacement... what did you see?

The Aura 3.6 doesn't use direct injection... the LaCrosse does w/ both V6s.
Old 10-12-09, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I actually didn't see much difference between the LaCrosse's 3.0 and 3.6 other than displacement... what did you see?
It's true that both the 3.0 and 3.6 engines, though having pretty new technology, aren't really that different inside. GM, though, has said that the 3.6L costs more to produce than older-generation engines....perhaps because of more cams and the VVTi feature.

One possible (?) reason both the 3.0 and 3.6 are used on the LaCrosse is because of the AWD. Buick designers, like those of the new Taurus, committed the new LaCrosse to an AWD option (a very important feature, IMO). It is possible that there were problems fitting the AWD hardware to the 3.6, as it is currently offered only with the 3.0L.

The Aura 3.6 doesn't use direct injection... the LaCrosse does w/ both V6s.
While I haven't driven a LaCrosse 3.6L to directly compare it, that DI really pays off in the 3.0L.
Old 10-12-09, 10:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

you never cease to amaze me with the quality of the reviews that you do MM. Thanks buddy. It seems like GM need a generation or two more for this model to be a true Lexus contender. They always fall short in areas that are critical in my book. At least we are headed in the right direction
Old 10-13-09, 12:00 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the pleasure of owning an ES350. Having driven an ES300/330 as a rental, I felt that the interior traded quality and plushness for modern lines. A fair trade, but one I had mixed feelings about as the ES300/330 had a fabulous interior for its price class.

I haven't much to say about the Buick interior, since I have not yet been in one.
Old 10-13-09, 05:38 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
you never cease to amaze me with the quality of the reviews that you do MM. Thanks buddy. It seems like GM need a generation or two more for this model to be a true Lexus contender. They always fall short in areas that are critical in my book. At least we are headed in the right direction
Sounds to me like mmarshall thinks they are contenders with the exception of the fact that the ES uses real wood veneer and the LaCrosse doesn't. Quality/authenticity of surface interior trim pieces is pretty minor exception.

Pretty much all other articles out there agree they're contenders if not flat out state the ES350 has been beaten.

So I'd say you should give it a look in person before letting mmarshall's (IMO undue) focus on plastic wood trim make you believe the rest of the car isn't worth the hype. It is.
Old 10-13-09, 06:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I briefly sat in a new LaCrosse and felt some of the trim felt a little thin, but it would probably wear OK. There's no denying that the design is stylish, and the quality of some interior pieces wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I were in the market for one.

The drivers seat bottom felt too short for me with not enough support. I don't know if you can get an extender, like in Lexus and others, but that would be more of a concern for me.

It will be interesting to see how this new model does for GM.

Last edited by LexBob2; 10-13-09 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks. I try to write as detailed, thoroughly, and objectively as I can because I feel that many of the reviews in the regular press are somewhay rose-colored and don't always tell both sides.

My reviews, however, are not perfect. Occasionally, I make a typo or an error in specs, options, equipment, availability etc.... and other CL members help out by pointing that out. Threxx, for example, to his credit, caught one or two of them in this thread.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL